Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Middle Class in America Is Radically Shrinking

July 15, 2010

The 22 statistics detailed here prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the middle class is being systematically wiped out of existence in America.

The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer at a staggering rate. Once upon a time, the United States had the largest and most prosperous middle class in the history of the world, but now that is changing at a blinding pace.

So why are we witnessing such fundamental changes? Well, the globalism and "free trade" that our politicians and business leaders insisted would be so good for us have had some rather nasty side effects. It turns out that they didn't tell us that the "global economy" would mean that middle class American workers would eventually have to directly compete for jobs with people on the other side of the world where there is no minimum wage and very few regulations. The big global corporations have greatly benefited by exploiting third world labor pools over the last several decades, but middle class American workers have increasingly found things to be very tough.

Here are the statistics to prove it:

• 83 percent of all U.S. stocks are in the hands of 1 percent of the people.
    • 61 percent of Americans "always or usually" live paycheck to paycheck, which was up from 49 percent in 2008 and 43 percent in 2007.
    • 66 percent of the income growth between 2001 and 2007 went to the top 1% of all Americans.
    • 36 percent of Americans say that they don't contribute anything to retirement savings.
    • A staggering 43 percent of Americans have less than $10,000 saved up for retirement.
    • 24 percent of American workers say that they have postponed their planned retirement age in the past year.
    • Over 1.4 million Americans filed for personal bankruptcy in 2009, which represented a 32 percent increase over 2008.
    • Only the top 5 percent of U.S. households have earned enough additional income to match the rise in housing costs since 1975.
    • For the first time in U.S. history, banks own a greater share of residential housing net worth in the United States than all individual Americans put together.
    • In 1950, the ratio of the average executive's paycheck to the average worker's paycheck was about 30 to 1. Since the year 2000, that ratio has exploded to between 300 to 500 to one.
    • As of 2007, the bottom 80 percent of American households held about 7% of the liquid financial assets.
    • The bottom 50 percent of income earners in the United States now collectively own less than 1 percent of the nation’s wealth.
    • Average Wall Street bonuses for 2009 were up 17 percent when compared with 2008.
    • In the United States, the average federal worker now earns 60% MORE than the average worker in the private sector.
    • The top 1 percent of U.S. households own nearly twice as much of America's corporate wealth as they did just 15 years ago.
    • In America today, the average time needed to find a job has risen to a record 35.2 weeks.
    • More than 40 percent of Americans who actually are employed are now working in service jobs, which are often very low paying.
    • or the first time in U.S. history, more than 40 million Americans are on food stamps, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture projects that number will go up to 43 million Americans in 2011.
    • This is what American workers now must compete against: in China a garment worker makes approximately 86 cents an hour and in Cambodia a garment worker makes approximately 22 cents an hour.
    • Approximately 21 percent of all children in the United States are living below the poverty line in 2010 - the highest rate in 20 years.
    • Despite the financial crisis, the number of millionaires in the United States rose a whopping 16 percent to 7.8 million in 2009.
    • The top 10 percent of Americans now earn around 50 percent of our national income.

Giant Sucking Sound

The reality is that no matter how smart, how strong, how educated or how hard working American workers are, they just cannot compete with people who are desperate to put in 10 to 12 hour days at less than a dollar an hour on the other side of the world. After all, what corporation in their right mind is going to pay an American worker 10 times more (plus benefits) to do the same job? The world is fundamentally changing. Wealth and power are rapidly becoming concentrated at the top and the big global corporations are making massive amounts of money. Meanwhile, the American middle class is being systematically wiped out of existence as U.S. workers are slowly being merged into the new "global" labor pool.

What do most Americans have to offer in the marketplace other than their labor? Not much. The truth is that most Americans are absolutely dependent on someone else giving them a job. But today, U.S. workers are "less attractive" than ever. Compared to the rest of the world, American workers are extremely expensive, and the government keeps passing more rules and regulations seemingly on a monthly basis that makes it even more difficult to conduct business in the United States.

So corporations are moving operations out of the U.S. at breathtaking speed. Since the U.S. government does not penalize them for doing so, there really is no incentive for them to stay.

What has developed is a situation where the people at the top are doing quite well, while most Americans are finding it increasingly difficult to make it. There are now about six unemployed Americans for every new job opening in the United States, and the number of "chronically unemployed" is absolutely soaring. There simply are not nearly enough jobs for everyone.

Many of those who are able to get jobs are finding that they are making less money than they used to. In fact, an increasingly large percentage of Americans are working at low wage retail and service jobs.

But you can't raise a family on what you make flipping burgers at McDonald's or on what you bring in from greeting customers down at the local Wal-Mart.

The truth is that the middle class in America is dying -- and once it is gone it will be incredibly difficult to rebuild.

Source: Yahoo Finance.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...CD,WMT,XRT,DIA
    Last edited by Flamingo; 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM.
    Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Can we get some updated statistics that include 2010? A lot of really rich people are now part of the lower class. LOL!

I made a point about the costs of the Federal Government in a different post, but not directly against the salaries, but it's a good datapoint!
    Last edited by justbroke; 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That's the most updated that I can find for now. I will update it when I have new stats

In the meantime, I now DO believe that the rich got their way with it. Actually, I did in fact believe that a long time ago but it just came recently when I actually belong to the middle class with millions of other Americans as well are getting broke and suffered excruciatingly under this economy. The rich get richer can be more true than ever.
      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

BTW, when I say middle class, I don't intend to include the rich here.

Comment

I meant that the rich get rich because they wait for an "opportunity" like this one... a fire sale... to buy things at a huge discount. Only they have the liquidity and equity to do those things. That's why they get richer. At the same time, you do need the rich to buy things and to get the prices back up. It's the old "buy low sell high" strategy.

The rich don't get rich because they, themselves, pay fewer taxes or aren't affected by the stock (if they are heavily invested). They get richer because they buy in a down market. The rest of us run for cover, and because credit is tight, can't leverage the opportunity. Only those with cash can.

I think we can all agree that the vast amount of consumption from 2003-2007 was done by the middle class. However, we, the middle class, mortgaged our future.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Comment

Yes, there is NO HOPE.. There is NO CHANGE. Obama said so!

Comment

Apparently there is no hope for anyone in the middle class

BKonce, you may be right. Our legal system has become so mired in paper, in procedure, and in adversarial win at all costs that all it takes to ruin lives is to be accused of something. One cannot prove a negative, and when legal influence peddlers with access to money and power decide you have something worth stealing, they have no compunction about using any means.

I am trying to write a novel showing the corruption. Nobody would believe the reality. According to one of the crooks, "it's just business," and the lawyer who started the con told numerous people that he "will be disbarred someday, but by then will have so much money that it won't matter." Apparently, even the felon who was convicted and sent to jail in the initial game and therefore did not get to steal the property will be out in a few short years and back on a new 50-ft boat to replace the ones seized by the FBI. His apparent pal who dummied up the false accusations still has his 50-footer that he so proudly calls "change order." Wish I knew what the bank lawyer got for her part of the scheme. Even the receiver said he didn't know why he was there, that the accusations were not true. The auditor hired to audit the books stated that there was nothing wrong in the project finances. Oh, btw, did I mention that the bank lawyer released the 75% partner from his personal guarantees before selling the note to the bank underwriter? A property appraised at $32 million with a note against it of less than $14 million was bought by him for less than $4 million (we hear from reliable sources that he paid $2 million), despite offers to the bank of over $12 million.
                But, hey, the bank was going under and the feds were giving another bank money to buy it. Nobody cares that the bank's foreclosure attorney threw away more than $12 million of the bank's money in the deal. The officers of the bank still get paid; the shareholders get hurt but who cares.
                Until the legal community cleans up its codes of ethical conduct and starts working again on innocent until proven guilty, look for more and more destruction of the working class and the economy.

Comment

I say

Confiscatory taxes on the wealthy to fund a full welfare state for the masses.

Comment

Bs

Jack, BS. We don't need confiscatory taxes on the wealthy. We need reasonable rules and regulations that are enforced and an ethical legal system that requires proof of guilt, that allows anyone accused access to the courts, and gets rid of the paperwork games that any lawyer can use to get summary judgments simply because their innocent victims cannot afford a lawyer.
                    Today, especially in the civil courts, anyone accused must defend themselves and prove themselves innocent. The big money game is to bankrupt the innocent victim as quickly as possible, then get multiple lawyers swarming like vultures to pick over the spoils even after the victim is dead. In many cases, the accusers are never identified, and may even be protected and the cases prosecuted by government officials.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X