top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are Distressed Homeowners Still Paying Their Mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Are Distressed Homeowners Still Paying Their Mortgage?

October 8, 2010

The big question from the mortgage meltdown isn't why so many distressed homeowners are defaulting on their loans.

It's why any of them are still making payments.

In the worst-hit areas millions have no equity left, and little hope of seeing any anytime soon. The market value of their homes is far below the size of the mortgage.

If they just stop paying, what is going to happen to them? In many cases they may get to live in the home rent-free for months, even years, until the bank gets around to seizing it.

If Frank Abagnale—the con man played by Leonardo DiCaprio in the film "Catch Me If You Can"—were operating today, he'd probably be living rent-free in a super-luxury high-rise in Miami.

Consider the latest revelations. The big banks are so backed up with foreclosures that some of them resorted to hustling through repossessions without the proper paperwork. Some of them—including Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase and Ally Financial's GMAC Home Mortgage—have announced a temporary freeze in some states on further foreclosures while they sort through the mess.

In one case, a bank employee said she was approving 8,000 foreclosures a month. By my math, that's roughly one for every minute and a half. No, she wasn't reading all the documents thoroughly. (As one wit observed, the banks paid about as much attention to foreclosing on the loans as they did to making them five years ago.)

In many cases, thanks to the fallout from securitization, it's not even clear who owns the mortgage. The payments may be due to different financial institutions around the world, some of which have gone the way of all flesh.

No wonder a fair number of borrowers have simply gone on strike. Nobody knows exactly how many are doing so deliberately—a so-called strategic default—though some estimates suggest these may account for nearly a third of recent defaults.

According to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, one mortgage borrower in five in Florida and Nevada is more than 90 days' late on payments, and in Arizona and California it's about one in eight. It's a wonder it's not more.

A while back I received an email from a woman in Florida that illustrates the issue.

Her neighbor across the road had stopped paying his mortgage about a year and a half earlier, she wrote. He was still living in his "luxury condo," and the lender hadn't come after him yet. After all, he told her, they were so backed up with the housing collapse it might take them years.

My correspondent—a lawyer—was wondering whether she was being stupid for continuing to make her own payments. After all, she, too, was deeply underwater; her mortgage was far bigger than the value of the home.

So what happens to those who simply go on strike?

Even where the bank is coming after them to evict them, it is taking months, maybe years. During that time they are living rent-free.

When they are evicted, the bank then puts the home on the market. It may take months more to sell. Let's assume it sells, but for a lot less than the size of the mortgage. What can the bank do then?

In some states, the bank can do very little. In so-called nonrecourse states—which include California and Arizona, two of the worst-hit in the housing collapse—banks basically have to eat the loss.

In other states, the banks have some ability to come after the homeowners for the shortfall. But for most distressed homeowners, this threat is more theory than reality. Why? The banks have too many cases to handle. And distressed homeowners typically have so little in surplus capital that there may not be much point.

Imagine you're the bank executive. The loss on the home came to, say, $200,000. The borrower is unemployed, driving a 10-year-old Chevy and living on food stamps. In another state. Or he has a part-time job in gas station, maybe $2,000 in savings, and two kids. How much do you want to spend on lawyers and debt collectors to hunt him down? How much do you think you're going to get back, after costs? You've got 5,000 cases like this.

Indeed, there's a lot the banks can't touch anyway. Money held in a 401(k) account, pension plan or individual retirement account is beyond the reach of creditors. So is college money for the children or grandchildren if held in a 529 plan for more than two years. And so are other assets; it varies by state. Often life insurance is sheltered: That may include mutual funds held in a variable annuity account. Once the borrower files for bankruptcy, the lender ends up with nothing.

Assuming people have taken legal advice, and taken the smart steps, the rules give many of them strong economic incentives to stop paying. In some circumstances, there might be state-tax consequences. They may find it harder to get a mortgage in the future. And their credit score will get dinged, sure, but in the grand scheme of things, is this really a fate worse than death?

The ruthless and the reckless have already walked. Meanwhile, the middle class continues to pay through the nose. It's that old "middle-class morality" that George Bernard Shaw mocked a century ago.

But is this really a case of morality anyway?

I'll confess this issue makes me uneasy. But my feelings are almost certainly awry. We live, alas, in a world, and an economy, which rewards ruthless self-interest and penalizes "morality." Just look at the big banks.

A mortgage isn't a blood oath, it's a business contract—a collateralized loan. It isn't simply a promise to repay the lender. It's a promise to repay the lender or to forfeit the home. Isn't someone simply fulfilling their contract by handing over the keys when asked?

The banks knew full well what the fine print said when they made the loan. And so they should: They wrote the fine print.

The economy will suffer if more homeowners default. But it will suffer if they don't. Those bad debts are doomed and need to be written off. Why should the homeowners eat them rather than the banks? Why is the reckless lender more at fault than the reckless borrower?

Japan struggled for 20 years with "zombie banks"—so called because their debts, if properly recognized, made them insolvent. Here in America, we have millions of zombie homeowners. Why is this any better?

Businesses make secured loans against property or collateral all the time. If the loan goes bad, the lender takes the collateral. Nobody expects executives to dip into their own pockets (a fortunate thing, as they never do). Bank executives pocketed tens of millions in the run-up to the financial crisis, directly as a result of the phony profits from reckless lending. Stockholders pocketed billions in dividends for the same reason. If the taxpayers hadn't stepped in, those banks would have collapsed and creditors would have lost a fortune. But they would have had no recourse—absent proof of fraud—against executives or those who owned equity.

Look through the financial statements of the big companies involved in the housing market, including major homebuilders and property developers, and you'll find frequent references to all the "nonrecourse financing" they've obtained. It's a boast. "Look," they're telling stockholders, "even if things go bad, the lenders can't touch us."

Apparently the only people who haven't gotten the memo are the middle class. For how much longer?

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Great article. It really makes you think about your so called "investment" that you go to work for everyday.

Comment

What I continue to find so amazing is what some folks are still willing to pay for a home. As an example, a young couple who moved in nearby, just bought a home and paid almost the realtor asking price of $199,000. The place is surrounded by similar properties (many are much better) that have completed foreclosure processes. The banks once again hold title. The prices are $80K - $114K. Why on earth would a financial institution loan $199K on any property in this area? I doubt the young couple will ever see much of a return on their "investment." I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
        What I continue to find so amazing is what some folks are still willing to pay for a home. As an example, a young couple who moved in nearby, just bought a home and paid almost the realtor asking price of $199,000. The place is surrounded by similar properties (many are much better) that have completed foreclosure processes. The banks once again hold title. The prices are $80K - $114K. Why on earth would a financial institution loan $199K on any property in this area? I doubt the young couple will ever see much of a return on their "investment." I don't get it.

perfect point....are these people just not thinking???

i think eventually the american dream will change....let the landlord fix the roof and the septic system! no one...NO ONE will really ever own their home. one will still have to pay taxes...insurance...other expenses that i think now far outweigh the benefits of home ownership.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

The difference between home ownership and renting is that with a house comes property/land that one does not have with an apartment/condo or with a rented house because they cannot do anything to that lawn or property. Eventually the housing market will turn around but it will be quite some time and those that can sit tight and afford their homes and pay down their mortgage will have a nice investment in the future and just have a home. There are many right now who probably will never be able to qualify for home ownership again if they ever want a house so it all depends what people want to do with what they can afford and learn just not to go overboard if they cannot afford a house or the payments/upkeep involved.

It's a renters market out there and the people now making the money are the ones that have the capital/backing to buy up homes, fix them up and rent them. And they own the homes...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I'm essentually a renter to the mortgage holder and I have all the liability for whatever goes wrong. I would be in a much better position now as a renter. I bought a house bc that's what I was suppose to do then (5 years ago). Renters were fools. Then the market tanked and what was a home in a borderline on the upswing neighborhood became a progressively bad to worse neighborhood with no hope for a recovery. It is worth less than what I owe on it and dropping every month. I am not money ahead for being a homeowner and I refuse to put my kids on the school bus where we are now.

If we buy again it will have to be somewhere that we are sure we can stay and be happy for a LONG time. I hope we find that place, but until then I need more flexibility than this crapshot of a real estate market. Let the haves buy it up and rent it out and then fix a/c when it dies in the middle of the summer in the south.
            Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Comment

See, I guess I am different.
              We never bought our house as an investment.
              We bought our house to have a place to live. A place we could do what we wanted with.
              And a place to make our home.
              Yeah, owning a home comes with some strings attached. You have to maintain it, and fix things, and deal with some headaches. And it can cost you some money (usually when you can least afford it too when it comes to something like a water heater crapping out on you)
              But I went into home ownership knowing these things.
              That was 18 years ago, when I was 25.
              And yeah, we made some stupid mistakes along the way. And we have a whole lot of fixing up to do now beceause I put off a lot of maintanence when weren't sure if we could keep the place. But all the work I have planned is things we want for the home we live in.
              Never once has it crossed my mind if it will pay for itself if I try to sell the place.
              The payoff will be in the pride and happiness I have in living in my home.
              I have the yard looking good again, and it feels great to be able to look out the window, or come down the street and see the fruits of my hard work.
              The major exterior issues will be finished before the snow flies. And during the winter I will tackle some of the more pressing interior issues.
              And by next summer we will be happy and comfy and planning the stuff we want to do with the place, instead of what we need to do.
              And not one of those plans will involve 'return on investment' or 'curb appeal'.
              Because not everything is about dollars and cents.
              You can't put a price on being happy. Or the pride in a job completed and well done.
              And if my wife wants to paint the living room lime green, then that is the color it will be painted. Because the only opinion that matters is hers. Not what some theoretical buyer might be interested in.
              7/01/10 - filed!
              11/20/10 - discharged and closed

Comment

A lot of this just proves my point that I keep stressing that the Government (especially the Obama Government) are just making a big mess bigger.

Normally things would pretty much swing back and forth between if buying a home is good or if it's better to rent and today it's better to rent because thanks to all the bailouts, home buying credits, etc. home ownership is just too expensive for most folks especially since incomes are stagnant so renting is certainly the way to go.

Once homes go down to their correct price then home ownership will be more desireable and people will leave their landlords flat and they will enjoy the American dream once again. Also if this happens rents will go down in order to compete, helping newbies starting out that make a low income.

They won't allow this to happen because too many banksters bought and paid for these criminal politicians and you will see more of the same after the November election.

I'd give it another year 2 tops and all the suckers that bought homes with the tax credit will be underwater and tax credit 2.0 will make it's way to a new generation of suckers before the total collapse sets in.
                The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                  A lot of this just proves my point that I keep stressing that the Government (especially the Obama Government) are just making a big mess bigger.

Normally things would pretty much swing back and forth between if buying a home is good or if it's better to rent and today it's better to rent because thanks to all the bailouts, home buying credits, etc. home ownership is just too expensive for most folks especially since incomes are stagnant so renting is certainly the way to go.

Once homes go down to their correct price then home ownership will be more desireable and people will leave their landlords flat and they will enjoy the American dream once again. Also if this happens rents will go down in order to compete, helping newbies starting out that make a low income.

They won't allow this to happen because too many banksters bought and paid for these criminal politicians and you will see more of the same after the November election.

I'd give it another year 2 tops and all the suckers that bought homes with the tax credit will be underwater and tax credit 2.0 will make it's way to a new generation of suckers before the total collapse sets in.
                  I totally agree with most of this post. Home prices are still artificially inflated right now due to the government and the banks not wanting the housing market to collapse. Postponed forclosures, modifications, and home buying credits are keeping the housing market artificially high. This will work it way out sooner or later though, and then, when housing has truly hit bottom, buying will make sense again.

Buying a house is also about being in the neighborhood you want to be in, having more space, and having the ability to customize your house and your land. It is often difficult to rent in the top school districts so that is why some people buy. I want to buy in a year or so, because I want to be able to customize my space to my liking. I am not looking at the house as an investment per se, so much as I am looking at it as a way of creating the living environment I want.
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I will never buy another house again.
                    In 2007 I had near perfect credit. My spouse got a new job requiring us to move 500 miles away. We bought a slightly larger house to accomodate my sick parents (and not leave them bank home 500 miles away). The market tanked, the economy tanked, we drained our savings & 401k to stay current on our new mortgage and really high cost of living out here in the middle of nowhere. Dad died, mom doesn't speak to me. We had to file BK, we've lost EVERYTHING, but we still have this damn house and pay pricey "rent" just to stay here (non re-affirmed) And we remain,.......flat broke. When he got the new job, people told us we should just rent for awhile..... I WISH WE HAD LISTENED.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse64 View Post
                      I will never buy another house again.
                      In 2007 I had near perfect credit. My spouse got a new job requiring us to move 500 miles away. We bought a slightly larger house to accomodate my sick parents (and not leave them bank home 500 miles away). The market tanked, the economy tanked, we drained our savings & 401k to stay current on our new mortgage and really high cost of living out here in the middle of nowhere. Dad died, mom doesn't speak to me. We had to file BK, we've lost EVERYTHING, but we still have this damn house and pay pricey "rent" just to stay here (non re-affirmed) And we remain,.......flat broke. When he got the new job, people told us we should just rent for awhile..... I WISH WE HAD LISTENED.

yes, it is difficult to change one's mind set. i'm so sorry to hear about your dad....and also your relationship with your mom. i know it must be really hard for you.

our daughter just moved out of state...she's renting the house she couldn't sell....she found a big new beautiful home...i kept telling her buy it NOW...while the interest rates are down...blah blah...

she says...MOM......you really have taught me better than your advise..(smart ass...that is what you get when you educate them a bit), however, she explained. we are renting here for a while........and maybe i will never buy another house. WHAT???????????? she explained...i don't want the head aches when the roof needs repair or the septic goes....i want to be able to leave and go to another new house and leave those problems behind me. well...of course i said...what will you invest with and for in your future....she responded......herself, her husband and just living life happily ever after...really a smart ass. (really i never minded carrying them or delivery..it's just when they come out there are way too many issues).

so she didn't listen and she's happy.
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                        yes, it is difficult to change one's mind set. i'm so sorry to hear about your dad....and also your relationship with your mom. i know it must be really hard for you.

our daughter just moved out of state...she's renting the house she couldn't sell....she found a big new beautiful home...i kept telling her buy it NOW...while the interest rates are down...blah blah...

she says...MOM......you really have taught me better than your advise..(smart ass...that is what you get when you educate them a bit), however, she explained. we are renting here for a while........and maybe i will never buy another house. WHAT???????????? she explained...i don't want the head aches when the roof needs repair or the septic goes....i want to be able to leave and go to another new house and leave those problems behind me. well...of course i said...what will you invest with and for in your future....she responded......herself, her husband and just living life happily ever after...really a smart ass. (really i never minded carrying them or delivery..it's just when they come out there are way too many issues).

so she didn't listen and she's happy.
                        Man, that sounds good to me !!! Your daughter sounds like a smart person! Investing in real estate was my downfall and I don't think I will ever have the guts (or blindness?) to sign on the dotted line again. I really had no idea how buying a house would almost ruin my entire life......

Comment

Originally posted by Beachlover2 View Post
                          Great article. It really makes you think about your so called "investment" that you go to work for everyday.
                          I guess it all depends on how that" investment" was purchased. Homeowners are not known for being savvy negotiating bargain hunters. They buy based on emotion where as investors buy on the cheap. Homeowners that have been hurt the most by drastically falling house prices and being hopelessly upside down are the ones who bought at the height of the market. People who bought ten years ago or longer and bought in at a bargain price aren't having the problems others are right now. I remember buyers putting in multiple contracts getting into bidding wars thus scalping the prices of the houses to ridiculous levels. The old saying in investing still holds true today whether it be houses or stocks. BUY LOW, SELL HIGH.

Comment

I guess I should retract the "investment" part of my response. I don't look at my house as an investment. Its where I live, spend time with family and raise my children. It just amazes me that so many people view their homes as investments in a good or bad market. If I paid to much for it, you cannot change it. You just keep moving forward and hope for the best in the long run.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X