Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt Collector Threatens To Shoot And Eat Your Dog

November 10, 2010

A Belleville woman contacted News 4 after she started receiving vulgar phone calls from a California debt collector.

Tammy Henshaw's daughter Angie died last May, she says she was unable to pay the funeral home $5,000 for the casket, the service, and use of the parlor. The funeral home entered a contract with Rumson, Bolling and Associates in California to collect Tammy's debt.

"They told me they were going to dig my daughter up and hang her from a tree," if she didn't pay the debt according to Henshaw. Henshaw says the calls came from the 818 area code, the debt collector confirms the phone number belongs to them.

Henshaw provided News 4 with a copy of the conversations she recorded. On the tape you hear a male voice making threats, you also hear the caller tell Henshaw she is "white trash." The caller goes on to say he's going to kill her dog and eat the animal, he also says he's going to send the sheriff to her home and have her arrested.

Henshaw says the calls have caused emotional anguish, and she's even checked her daughters grave to make sure it remains undisturbed.

News 4 contacted the Federal Trade Commission to find out what debt collectors can and can't do while collecting a debt. Click here for more information about a consumer's rights.

Rumson, Bolling and Associates responded through an email, but declined an opportunity to explain on air. Here's a statement from company director Harold Bolling:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for sending the audiofile. The sound quality is very poor and I don’t recognize the individual who is speaking. I haven’t been able to corroborate any of the assertions made about this case yet. Because the other voice is not part of the recording, it is very suspect. It resembles the kind of unfortunate communication breakdowns that occur when people are under tremendous stress. Both parties could ostensibly be dealing with stress and blew up at each other, lost their cool and ventilated emotions in a destructive way.

There is no excuse under any circumstances for a debt collector to be anything other than professional. Some time ago RBA put into place a ‘scream line” to be used when and if collectors feel they are under attack. Collectors are routinely cursed at, denigrated threatened and endure racial insults. As opposed to hanging up which often makes matters worse, the collector under attack is instructed to transfer the call to a calm recording giving the debtor the opportunity to connect to a supervisor at any time during the recording. There are a lot of debt collection lawsuits going out there where debtors are solicited to sue collection agencies and it is very profitable for some career debtors to become professional litigants by laying in wait for the next collector to call and make a mistake.

RBA requires that every single employee follows the FDCPA. Every employee has a copy of the FDCPA and has agreed as a condition of employment to follow it 100%. Employees receive FDCPA trainings. Employees that violate the FDCPA are terminated, suspended or re-trained. We will continue our investigation and get to the bottom of it. In the meantime please have the party in question contact me directly so that we may satisfactorily resolve this.

Harold Bolling

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Oh yeah! That's probably why so many millions of Americans are defaulting on debt and losing their homes... because it's so just so darn profitable to sue those poor, innocent, just-doing-my-job-by-threatening-to-dig-up-your-dead-daughter collection companies.

Wow. Thanks for posting this, Keepinitreal.
    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

it is very profitable for some career debtors to become professional litigants by laying in wait for the next collector to call and make a mistake.
      that is toooooooooo funny....oh really...??? i just personally know many that have made millions that way..NOT!

this poor lady...i feel so badly for her. i'm surprised she didn't contact the ftc asap....we did...and the calls stopped. it took about 30 days, but they did stop...of course our circumstances were not close to the same situation, however, everyone...should file a complaint when they feel they have been violated by collectors. IF more people did file complaints..maybe some changes would really happen...i know FAT chance..but just maybe?
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

When I grow up, I want to be a career debtor! :eyeroll: Just like the Chase Home Mortgage man I just talked to. ugh.
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I am glad she went to the media to bring attention to those (unprintable words). It will bring more attention to the whole fracas.

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
            "They told me they were going to dig my daughter up and hang her from a tree," if she didn't pay the debt according to Henshaw.
            This creditor sickens me.
            Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Debt collector now is apologizing, offering to pay funeral bill plus cash after all the publicity.
              Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
              Attended 341 September 2010
              Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
                i hope she gets that! times 100!
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Well, now I've done it. I've ruined what could have been a very profitable career in creditor harrassment litigation by filing bankruptcy. What was I thinking - giving up all that money.....
                  Filed: 6/30/2010
                  341: 7/26/2010
                  Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Actually, it would be pretty funny and more than a little bit ironic if the woman sued the ever-lovin' crap outta them. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
                    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

I hope someone at the news station points her in the direction of suing them.

Comment

No doubt! They are obviously shaking in their shoes at this point to have offered to pay for the funeral expenses. They know that she would stand to gain a whole lot more by going after them for the violation.
                        Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

AAAWWWW I gotta defend the collector. Now here in FL if she had a pet armadillo, or even a nice 'possim, perhaps a 'coon, I could see eating it and then given her a complete release. Now my neighbor, Wang Chan, could probably get a good Thanks giving off the dog. LOL.

Yes, all said in jest of course. It is rather funny that they got 'caught'. 'Hub
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

WOW when are they going to learn.

Comment

What kind of human being does that to another person?
                              There are two secrets for success in life:
                              1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X