Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Workforce/Workplace Forecast

January 2, 2011

Every year at about this time, we issue our annual forecast and again, this year, we offer you our full forecast (longer than our usual alert) for the coming year. Enjoy.

1. Recruiting will intensify. We are already seeing the large companies looking for increasing numbers of employees. Later in 2011, the small and medium-size companies will join the scrimmage. More companies that had eliminated their recruiting function will hire inside people to offset their expenses of headhunter fees.

2. Unemployment will remain relatively high. We expect unemployment to remain over 8 percent for the coming year. The challenge for employers is that many of the unemployed do not have the skills they are looking for.

3. Workforce development will increase in importance. As communities realize the disparity between desired skills and those people actually possess, the issue of workforce development will become more important. The federal government will pass legislation to assist in this process.

4. More employers will embrace technology to manage processes and keep track of relationships. Companies providing software to employers will see their businesses grow. Employers will face the challenges of training their people in these new systems.

5. More companies will tap women for executive positions. With increases in the percentage of women in colleges, universities, and graduate schools, the world is graduating more capable, qualified women who will move into positions of authority in corporations.

6. The levels of corporate growth will depend on the region. The United States and Europe will lag behind Asia and South America in job growth and profits. Lingering high levels of unemployment and housing situations will hamper expansion.

7. Any remaining companies that had not restored sales incentives will do so next year. Recognizing the competitive disadvantage employers not only restore incentives to previous levels, but will also look for innovative ways to augment these programs with meaningful non-financial incentives keyed to the individuals' social circumstances.

8. The repeal of the Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell law will have far-reaching repercussions. This law, governing gays openly serving in the US military, will open the door to more recognition for domestic partners. More employers will acknowledge these partnerships as civil unions with attendant expenses and benefits.

9. Employers will pay increasing attention to retention. Higher employee turnover and greater difficulty in recruiting will again challenge more employers. By necessity, employers will once again be forced to look at employee retention.

10. The escalating regulatory environment will cause employers to need employment lawyers more than ever. With OFCCP (The US Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs) inspections and other onerous regulations, employers will have no choice but to engage their employment lawyers at higher levels.

Last edited by Flamingo; 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

so it looks like more atty's will get employed!!!

and who is that will be getting Recruited????
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

More attorneys, just what we need. ahahahah. I am getting lots of calls and emails from small recruiters, but these are the types that just want your name to build their database and basically are just hitting the same job boards as I am going after. I have interviewed with recruiters, gone to their offices, filled out paperwork, taken tests, etc. and never hear from them again.

Comment

yes, that was our very FIRST route when we went on the "job" hunt.

we are just thinking about pulling our own resources and doing something ourselves....between the two of us here we have approx 90 years work experience....15 years of college.....VET status....license to carry in all 50 states....so we are thinking about becoming collectors!! LOL!!!! and then we can work for a law firm you think?

Comment

I think in 2011 we will see a continuation of 2010. We will probably see more hiring every month but it won't make a dent in the UE stats due to more people entering the workforce combined with so many currently unemployed.

We will also most likely see the new hires making lousy money with reduced benefits and increased hours and work loads, combined with the fed induced inflation. The working poor stats will increase. Just look at the food stamp recipients of 44 million this speaks for itself.

Unlike the 1930's deflationary depression we will be seeing more and more of a massive inflationary depression where we all have some sort of income but it won't go very far unfortunately.
          The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
            I think in 2011 we will see a continuation of 2010. We will probably see more hiring every month but it won't make a dent in the UE stats due to more people entering the workforce combined with so many currently unemployed.

We will also most likely see the new hires making lousy money with reduced benefits and increased hours and work loads, combined with the fed induced inflation. The working poor stats will increase. Just look at the food stamp recipients of 44 million this speaks for itself.

Unlike the 1930's deflationary depression we will be seeing more and more of a massive inflationary depression where we all have some sort of income but it won't go very far unfortunately.
            banca....i think i'll go one step further and say 2011 will be worse than 2010....what about all the recent college grads that will unemployed and never be put into any of the stats...and you are so correct, actually, this type of hiring started a few years back...where they were fire two or three workers that dedicated 20 plus years making excellent money....and hire one college grad at 1/2 the benefits and salary of just one of those 20 year workers....demand so much from this one person...expect them to do the work of three and then we wonder why our economy is falling apart...

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
              actually, this type of hiring started a few years back...where they were fire two or three workers that dedicated 20 plus years making excellent money....and hire one college grad at 1/2 the benefits and salary of just one of those 20 year workers....demand so much from this one person...expect them to do the work of three and then we wonder why our economy is falling apart...
              You hit the nail on the head with the above description. I've seen so much of that approach in my own workplace over the last five years that it's not even funny.

A fresh graduate willing to cut throats for $40K a year as opposed to a senior manager making $120K after 25 years of service who makes sure that all his/hers I's are dotted and T's crossed while taking the time to do so...sounds like a great deal for the company, doesn't it?

These kids are for the most part very smart, but miss "mileage" of the ones they had replaced to actually become effective within the system. And that conflict creates all types of real-life issues, especially in an union-type workplace like my own...it's one thing taking a Labor Relations class in college and getting an excellent grade but dealing with actual day-to-day workforce issues is something entirely different...and no amount of college can prepare one for it...

Rude awakening for mostly everyone involved, in my opinion.

Good luck to us all...
              No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
                You hit the nail on the head with the above description. I've seen so much of that approach in my own workplace over the last five years that it's not even funny.

A fresh graduate willing to cut throats for $40K a year as opposed to a senior manager making $120K after 25 years of service who makes sure that all his/hers I's are dotted and T's crossed while taking the time to do so...sounds like a great deal for the company, doesn't it?

These kids are for the most part very smart, but miss "mileage" of the ones they had replaced to actually become effective within the system. And that conflict creates all types of real-life issues, especially in an union-type workplace like my own...it's one thing taking a Labor Relations class in college and getting an excellent grade but dealing with actual day-to-day workforce issues is something entirely different...and no amount of college can prepare one for it...

Rude awakening for mostly everyone involved, in my opinion.

Good luck to us all...
                it sure is a "rude awakening"...and you know...it's just all our rewards for all our hard loyal work!!! what an absolute shame...really.

i think about my son when he applied for a masters program ( really he didn't qualify right after college as far as i am concerned), however, he got denied admission, with the dean unfortunately miss wording her denial of his admission...say he was "too" young...oh that did it..after all...he's MY son, made an appointment (he was a recruiter for another university at the time) and just simply asked for an appointment with the president of the college...explained the age discrimination....got in.....almost had a nervous breakdown because HE LACKED THE LIFE EXPERIENCE to get this particular masters..........well he did get it...and he's extremely successful (he has his own business)...however the point here is i'm at least attempting to make....

he didn't belong in that program that dean just miss worded his denial and he took advantage...he couldn't handle it...he lacked the life experience that was required to effectively get the most out of the program...certainly, the academics were there...he got his masters...and THESE are the people running this country....

ps i adore my son....and he has an extremely successful business, however, i did NOT agree with him going to grad school at that time as you can very well tell. and by the way......it is the field that he's so successful at...but THAT's NOT the point here.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X