Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Balances Increase First Time Since August 2008

February 7, 2011

Strong holiday shopping may have drove Americans to dust off their credit cards. For the first time in 28 months, revolving credit increased, according to the Federal Reserve. This is a pretty major reversal of a trend that had showed consumers determined to pay down their credit card debt. Is this the start of a new wave of rising revolving debt, or was December just a blip?

First, here's the overall consumer credit picture, via Fed data:

Total consumer credit, excluding real estate-related debt, increased at an annualized rate of 3.0%, or $6.1 billion in December. Within that total, nonrevolving credit rose at an annualized rate of 2.8%, or $3.8 billion. But as mentioned, the major reversal was the hefty increase in revolving debt. It was up at an annualized rate of 3.5%, or $2.3 billion. It's the first increase since before the financial crisis hit its climax.

Interestingly, finance companies appear to be loosening their grip on consumer credit availability. Their debt holdings increased by $27.5 billion, or a annualized rate of 63.6% in December. Nonfinancial business also saw their credit holdings increasing significantly, which may show retailers providing more credit for the holidays. Their holdings increased by $3.1 billion, or an annualized rate of 66.1% during the month. This was offset by commercial banks actually cutting their credit holdings by $10 billion, which is an annualized decline of 10.9%.

The really big news, however, is the increase in revolving credit. To provide some perspective, here's another chart showing its monthly change since the recession began in December 2007:

As you can see, December provided a pretty big change compared to the prior few years.

So are the American consumers really back to running up their credit card balances again? As mentioned, this could be a temporary phenomenon associated with holiday spending. If we see a huge plummet in revolving credit for January, then that means Americans just bought a lot of merchandise on their credit cards and paid most of it off immediately in the following month.

But the revolving credit figures are seasonally adjusted. If the Fed's adjustment factors attempt to account for holiday shopping, then you wouldn't have expected to see such a significant increase. That would imply that the revolving credit increase is the sign of a new behavior, not just a one-time seasonal effect.

Ultimately, we'll have to wait another month or two to see if this increase in credit card balances represents a new trend or just more confident consumers buying lots of holiday gifts and then going back to paying down their credit cards in subsequent months. Both results would have positive and negative effects on the economy. Americans had been overburdened with credit card debt leading into the recession, so freeing themselves of $175 billion in revolving debt since 2008 is certainly a welcome development. But if they're spending more that could demonstrate stronger consumer demand to businesses and spur hiring.

Last edited by Flamingo; 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM. Reason: To conform to forum posting rules - OP PLEASE TAKE NOTE

They are probably people running up all their balances in anticipation of filing by the spring.This is probably the presumption period for all those people. LOL
    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

I saw an article on Yahoo and it was on the news a few days ago about a credit card charging 79.9% interest rate. Plus they charge about $300 a year on fees. They actually played around with various rates and are adjusting to a 59% as the most profitable/greatest number of sales for them. They are praying on the poor and got about 700,000 people to get the card. Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
        I saw an article on Yahoo and it was on the news a few days ago about a credit card charging 79.9% interest rate. Plus they charge about $300 a year on fees. They actually played around with various rates and are adjusting to a 59% as the most profitable/greatest number of sales for them. They are praying on the poor and got about 700,000 people to get the card. Unbelievable.
        yeah...i heard that same story on cnn....but apparently, that lady was LATE on her card...which was a rip off card to begin with....and you know, i thought the laws were changed to prevent this terrible stuff from happening...that poor lady..unreal!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          yeah...i heard that same story on cnn....but apparently, that lady was LATE on her card...which was a rip off card to begin with....and you know, i thought the laws were changed to prevent this terrible stuff from happening...that poor lady..unreal!
          I posted up the article and the card was just a normal 79.9% apr card, but really targeted those with bad credit. Yeah if you are late on a card like this, I bet they send out Luigi to break your fingers and bump off family members. This was a fricken loansharker credit card company if I ever saw one before. I was blown away that this was even legal. I love the way the executive at that company was discussing interest rates and how they have tried various rates from the 20's to 70's% and that 59.9% seemed to be the one that got the most people to sign up.

I hope nothing but the worst for companies like this.

Comment

I posted up the article and the card was just a normal 79.9% apr card, but really targeted those with bad credit. Yeah if you are late on a card like this, I bet they send out Luigi to break your fingers and bump off family members. This was a fricken loansharker credit card company if I ever saw one before. I was blown away that this was even legal. I love the way the executive at that company was discussing interest rates and how they have tried various rates from the 20's to 70's% and that 59.9% seemed to be the one that got the most people to sign up.

I hope nothing but the worst for companies like this.
            me too! ripping people off like that...but i blame the government for allowing it...there was suppose to be reform....yeah...let reform the banks so they can get more from the poor people!

yeah i heard it on cnn...but they reported it as she had been late...i'm sure your info was more correct...just a rip off company.

feel sorry when their karma catches up to them!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It seems like every time our government creates more protection for the citizens, corporations seem to find loopholes and ways to beat the protection. Or they just find other ways to raise rates to make up for the lost revenue.

Comment

It seems like every time our government creates more protection for the citizens, corporations seem to find loopholes and ways to beat the protection. Or they just find other ways to raise rates to make up for the lost revenue.
                That's because corporations own the government, and vice versa.

There is no "protection" for citizens - it's all smoke and mirrors. Greed has been winning the battle with the old "common sense capitalism" for the past 25 years, and the results are easily seen. The root of the problem is much older, of course, but for now:

The corporations are looting our money with government's blessing.

The government is taking away our freedoms granted by the Constitution.

Both entities want us to be afraid, poor, ignorant and unarmed - and I'm not talking just about weapons...

Fighting metastatic cancer is never easy and rarely successful, but that's what needs to get done if we're to avoid death as a society...remove the tumorous mass in Washington to begin with...

Good luck to us all.

No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Yup! It's been this way all throughout history.

I don't like judging others but I have no stomach anymore for an individual that votes for politicians in the name of "helping the people".

When I was much younger I used to believe it all despite all of the 40-50 somethings telling me otherwise and now I cannot believe anyone believes any of this.

As for my voting, I just vote the bums out and will continue this till I cast my last vote!

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post

The corporations are looting our money with government's blessing.

The government is taking away our freedoms granted by the Constitution.

They're only taking what we are giving them. We are really exchanging our freedom for some temporary financial security.

Ron Paul for example just the other day said he would love to tell younger people to opt out of all social programs whether it being social security, etc. in exchange of just paying a 10% flat tax.

I think this is a good deal, but too many just won't except this so the fleecing of our wealth and freedom shall continue.

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                      They're only taking what we are giving them. We are really exchanging our freedom for some temporary financial security.

Ron Paul for example just the other day said he would love to tell younger people to opt out of all social programs whether it being social security, etc. in exchange of just paying a 10% flat tax.

I think this is a good deal, but too many just won't except this so the fleecing of our wealth and freedom shall continue.
                      And I don't think it's a good deal. If this were to ever pass, I would be paying a lot more in taxes and I already have a problem with what I have to pay now. I believe in the tax system being higher for the ones make more and lower for the ones making less. But I am not surprised that Ron Paul would think that that is a good idea. He's a libertarian. And they are just as bad as the tea baggers.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                        And I don't think it's a good deal. If this were to ever pass, I would be paying a lot more in taxes and I already have a problem with what I have to pay now. I believe in the tax system being higher for the ones make more and lower for the ones making less. But I am not surprised that Ron Paul would think that that is a good idea. He's a libertarian. And they are just as bad as the tea baggers.

"I think this is a good deal, but too many just won't except this so the fleecing of our wealth and freedom shall continue."

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                          He's a libertarian. And they are just as bad as the tea baggers.
                          Why is it acceptable to refer to the members of Tea Party as "tea baggers" and not to Democrats as kleptocrats?

Personally, I'd take Ron Paul's deal in a heartbeat and not look back...

No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
                            Why is it acceptable to refer to the members of Tea Party as "tea baggers" and not to Democrats as kleptocrats?

Personally, I'd take Ron Paul's deal in a heartbeat and not look back...

and me too....and i wouldn't be surprised for a moment if we start to hear his name daily.......truth is we had no one we can ever believe in again.....sad day!

Comment

Regarding this article - I am suspicious of the statistics for one primary reason: Since 2008, I've been solicited by several banks to use my debit card as a credit card, with cash or points rewards as a benefit.

Could this be some kind of 'ledger cooking'? I mean, doesn't it make their business appear more sound if they can appear to have more "credit" use than debit use?
                              Ch13 filed 10-16-08
                              341 meeting 11-21-08
                              Repayment plan meeting 12-19-08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X