Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare rise could mean no Social Security COLA

March 27, 2011

WASHINGTON — Millions of retired and disabled people in the United States had better brace for another year with no increase in Social Security payments.

The government is projecting a slight cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security benefits next year, the first increase since 2009. But for most beneficiaries, rising Medicare premiums threaten to wipe out any increase in payments, leaving them without a raise for a third straight year.

About 45 million people — one in seven in the country — receive both Medicare and Social Security. By law, beneficiaries have their Medicare Part B premiums, which cover doctor visits, deducted from their Social Security payments each month.

When Medicare premiums rise more than Social Security payments, millions of people living on fixed incomes don't get raises. On the other hand, most don't get pay cuts, either, because a hold-harmless provision prevents higher Part B premiums from reducing Social Security payments for most people.

David Certner of AARP estimates that as many as three-fourths of beneficiaries will have their entire Social Security increase swallowed by rising Medicare premiums next year.

It's a tough development for retirees who lost much of their savings when the stock market collapsed, who lost value in their homes when the housing market crashed and who can't find work because the job market is weak or they are in poor health.

"You just don't have the words to say how much this impacts a person," said Joyce Trebilcock, a retired legal secretary from Belle, Mo., a small town about 100 miles west of St. Louis.

Like most U.S. retirees, Trebilcock, 65, said Social Security is her primary source of income. She said a back injury about 15 years ago left her unable to work, so she applied for disability benefits. Now, she lives on a $1,262 Social Security payment each month, with more than $500 going to pay the mortgage.

"I've cut back on about everything I can, and I take the rest out of my savings," Trebilcock said. "Thank God I've got that. That's going to run out before long, at the rate I'm going. ... I have no idea what I'm going to do then."

Medicare premiums are absorbing a growing share of Social Security benefits, leaving retired and disabled people with less money for other expenses, according to a report by the Congressional Research Service.

Social Security recipients spend, on average, 9 percent of their benefits on Medicare Part B premiums, plus 3 percent on premiums for the Medicare prescription drug program. By the time someone retires in 2078, he or she will spend nearly one-third of their benefits on premiums for both Medicare programs, the report said. Also, when premiums for the prescription drug program increase, as they do almost every year, they can result in a pay cut for Social Security recipients.

"We could very well be entering a period where we're all stuck with flat benefits because of the growth in health care costs," said Mary Johnson, a policy analyst at The Senior Citizens League.

By law, Social Security cost-of-living adjustments, or COLAs, are determined each year by a government measure of inflation. When consumer prices go up, payments go up. When consumer prices fall, payments stay flat until prices rebound.

There had been a COLA every year from 1975 through 2009, when a spike in energy prices resulted in a 5.8 percent increase, the largest in 27 years. Since then, the recession has depressed consumer prices, resulting in no COLA in 2010 or 2011.

Older people might feel they are falling behind because they haven't had a raise since 2009, but many are benefiting, said Andrew Biggs, a former deputy commissioner of the Social Security Administration who is now a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

Consumer prices dropped, but Social Security benefits didn't drop, Biggs said. At the same time, health care costs went up, but Part B premiums stayed the same for most beneficiaries.

"They are better off because of that," Biggs said. "Somebody else is paying for a greater share of their health care. This will get me hate mail, obviously. But it is what it is."

Next year, the trustees who oversee the Social Security project a 1.2 percent COLA. President Barack Obama, in his spending proposal for the budget year that begins Oct. 1, projects a COLA of 0.9 percent. The average monthly payment is $1,077, so either way, the typical increase is projected to be between $10 and $13.

The current spike in energy prices could boost next year's COLA, if it lasts through September, when the increase for 2012 will be calculated. The COLA will be announced in mid-October.

Medicare Part B premiums must be set each year to cover 25 percent of program costs. By law, they have been frozen at 2009 levels for about 75 percent of beneficiaries because there has been no increase in Social Security. That means the entire premium hike has been borne by the remaining 25 percent, which includes new enrollees, high-income families and low-income beneficiaries who have their premiums paid by Medicaid, the federal-state health care program for the poor.

The 2009 premium levels, which are still paid by about three-fourths of beneficiaries, are $96.40 a month. Most of those who enrolled in the program in 2010 pay $110.50 a month and most of those who enrolled in 2011 pay $115.40.

The Medicare trustees project a Part B premium of $113.80 a month for next year. Obama's budget projects a monthly premium of $108.20, said Donald McLeod, a spokesman for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. McLeod cautioned that the projections could change significantly by September, when 2012 premiums are calculated.

Under either projection, a small share of beneficiaries would get lower premiums. The vast majority would get higher premiums that could swallow their Social Security COLA.

"That little raise helps us," said Estelle Jones, 66, of St. Paul, Minn. "Food, heating bills, water bill, all that stuff has gone up. ... All my medicines are very expensive, and every month I have to figure out how I am going to pay for them."

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

"It's a tough development for retirees who lost much of their savings when the stock market collapsed, who lost value in their homes when the housing market crashed and who can't find work because the job market is weak or they are in poor health."
    Add to that the increase in retirees age 62+ who were forced out of their jobs when the banks pulled lending from their employers, forcing layoffs, and the impossibility of someone that age finding a job, even at minimum wage, in this market. The actual demand on social security benefits, medicare and medicaid, and other social services has increased hugely, much of it due to the fact that our government officials have no clue that what the left hand does impacts the right hand.

Comment

It's not only tough on retires but those lucky enough to still have work most likely won't stop working causing very high unemployment for the younger folks graduating.

As for the inflation numbers the govt doesn't include food and fuel, so there will probably never be a raise for seniors since the govt measures inflation on home prices, cell phones, ipods, etc. which are all coming down.

It's safe to say that this freak show is no different then the old Soviet Union.

Not only is life getting tough for all except the uber rich, but the phony stats cannot even admit it.

More "change" you can believe in!
      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

And this will just get worse as more people near retirement age and have to figure out what to do because the majority either used up their 401(k) Plans during bad times if they ever started one, have no pensions or lost pensions and have to depend on SS to survive. Those older folks with jobs who are healthy will just work beyond retirement age as necessary and if they can hold onto their jobs. The move during the next 10 to 15 years will show many retirees being forced to move in with older children as I have stated many times over the past several years on this forum - multigenerational housing will be the only way people can afford to get by due to increasing costs all over the board (food, gas, insurance, etc., etc.).

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by jjim120 View Post
          "It's a tough development for retirees who lost much of their savings when the stock market collapsed, who lost value in their homes when the housing market crashed and who can't find work because the job market is weak or they are in poor health."
          Add to that the increase in retirees age 62+ who were forced out of their jobs when the banks pulled lending from their employers, forcing layoffs, and the impossibility of someone that age finding a job, even at minimum wage, in this market. The actual demand on social security benefits, medicare and medicaid, and other social services has increased hugely, much of it due to the fact that our government officials have no clue that what the left hand does impacts the right hand.
          jjim120..wow you hit the nail on the HEAD describing our personal situation. we didn't lose money or really not that much in the market because we only invested in bonds that were principle protected. they did not yield high returns, however, the principle was always guaranteed. my theory has always been invest in the market what you can afford to lose, therefore anything we invested in were low yield safe investments. but that didn't stop me from drawing it ALL out attempting to keep up with what was going on around us. i can't believe to this day i did it!

both of us being laid off...and one of us just hitting 62.......right to SS...your right on point......our house lost over 200k value...again right on point. impossible for us to get jobs since your right again! we are too old and have been told so.

we were lucky enough to still have a pension and ss to fall back on. it's enough for live and eat, but as you point out, has now become the burden of the youth of this country, the backbone to hold all of those force into "early" retirement. (although, i must add we paid in collectively for 90 years between the two of us).

also, as banca rotta points out, the inflation number are not reflected by the government, hence we rec'd NO SS or pension increase this year...although our (state) COLA was suppose to be guaranteed under the early retirement bill...so much for that one. and, although the cost of food and gas have skyrocketed...
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
            It's safe to say that this freak show is no different then the old Soviet Union.

More "change" you can believe in!
            For once I'll disagree with you...

Soviet Union never defaulted on its pension obligations...

Good luck to us all.
            No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post

Good luck to us all.
              We haven't seen the worst of it yet. You mentioned the pension fund defaults. There are a large number of unfunded and underfunded pension funds in private groups, such as construction unions, that are going to rise up and bite us. When our business was destroyed by NCB bank and its corrupt lawyers, and we were a small business, we were forced to lay off over 100 union workers in various unions, some of whom had worked for the business for over 20 years. These are the now unemployed, with no work in their skilled trades available. Those who were able to take their pension grabbed it quickly, as they were told that the promised benefits were likely to be reduced by 20% shortly because of the massive loss of construction jobs across the country and the subsequent lack of funding to pay existing retirees. Those unfunded liabilities are out there, and the businesses that signed contracts based on guaranteed union pension benefits are being put out of business, unable to meet those obligations without work.

We are all in this mess together, like it or not. What one point on the economic circle does affects the whole, and the massive fraud at all levels of the financial industry, aided, abetted and covered up by our own government, may well throw us into another great depression or bring so much inflation that we will no longer trust the money supply.

Comment

Originally posted by jjim120 View Post
                We haven't seen the worst of it yet. You mentioned the pension fund defaults. There are a large number of unfunded and underfunded pension funds in private groups, such as construction unions, that are going to rise up and bite us. When our business was destroyed by NCB bank and its corrupt lawyers, and we were a small business, we were forced to lay off over 100 union workers in various unions, some of whom had worked for the business for over 20 years. These are the now unemployed, with no work in their skilled trades available. Those who were able to take their pension grabbed it quickly, as they were told that the promised benefits were likely to be reduced by 20% shortly because of the massive loss of construction jobs across the country and the subsequent lack of funding to pay existing retirees. Those unfunded liabilities are out there, and the businesses that signed contracts based on guaranteed union pension benefits are being put out of business, unable to meet those obligations without work.

We are all in this mess together, like it or not. What one point on the economic circle does affects the whole, and the massive fraud at all levels of the financial industry, aided, abetted and covered up by our own government, may well throw us into another great depression or bring so much inflation that we will no longer trust the money supply.
                i couldn't agree with you more jjim120. i think this is just the tip of the iceberg, or the first have of the domino's falling down. the repercussions of this are going to wide and long lasting.

frankly, i already see or view this as a GREAT depression, however, i think it depends on what phase one is going through at the moment, the job lose, the losing of one's home, the deletion of one's unemployment funds...and so on and so forth. not a pretty picture.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
                  For once I'll disagree with you...

Good luck to us all.

Actually what I meant by bringing the old USSR in on this is that our govt is using the same soviet propaganda tactics that they used.

Our govt advertises a recovery and we know it's not happening, they call this deflation when it's painful inflation for the poor and middle class on food and fuel.

They are lying like rugs and trying to convince the masses that all is well.

It would be an insult to the commies when I compare the former soviet govt to our govt.
                  The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X