Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy in America

April 20, 2011

Many banks are insolvent, yet are allowed to stay in business. Being allowed to keep two sets of books is obscuring their real estate loan problems. This is the shadow inventory you sometimes hear about. Those millions of homes “that exist, but they don’t.” They presently admit to owning some 1 million homes they cannot sell, which is almost 25% higher than last year. If you put everything together you could be looking at an 8-year supply. Making matters worse lenders are holding homes on the books at values 40% higher than what they are worth. This is very similar to what is going on in Spain presently. We’ll say this one more time. Most major banks and some middle tier and small institutions are broke and you are being lied to regarding their condition.

Distressed home sales make up about 50% of all sales and they are sold at rock bottom prices, which drives down the value of all homes. This condition could last another ten years. In California and Nevada such sales are some 70% of sales. This inventory will continue to suppress prices for some time to come, so do not even think about buying a home. Those lower foreclosure figures are a mirage caused by legal action against lenders. Those foreclosure numbers will grow higher soon, because these criminals are cutting a deal to pay fines, so no one goes to jail. Only in America. That foreclosure activity could come back slowly due to major changes in the industry.

As foreclosures pick up following a deal with the government the shadow inventory will build, banks will sell more homes, prices will fall further, losses to the banks will grow and the banks inadequate loan loss reserves will become evident. Then there are the ongoing lawsuits against the banks and their creation known as MERS, which has no further legal standing. We could see millions of mortgages being cancelled that is unless the crooks in Congress pass a forgiveness bill to relieve the banks of their fraud. The bottom line is many more banks are going under and some will be major banks.

As we predicted in June of 2005 that the housing market would crash we also predicted a 10 to 40 year fall and consolidation in housing. Most people can reflect on these past six years, but cannot perceive the future for housing. Market activity has fallen by almost 1/3rd, as housing prices fell ever lower. Although we do not see an increase in official interest rates we can easily see mortgages at 5-5/8% by the end of the year and 6-1/2% at the end of 2012. Lenders are going to have to demand 10% to 20% down. That will not only further decrease sales volume, but it will further depress prices. These rates may seem high, but inflation will be between 14% and 30% over that 1-1/2 to 2 year span.

Since 2006 house prices are down 32% and over the next year they will probably fall close to 40% from their highs. The Fed may have temporarily saved banking and Wall Street, but little has been done to solve the unemployment problem. If you have no job you cannot buy a house, not with real unemployment at 22%. As a result new home sales fell 28% in February, as their inventories rose to 8.9-month’s sales. Our question is with such a tremendous home inventory overhang, why are builders building more homes, some 550,000 a year. They have to be dumber than rocks. Existing houses for sale rise every day plus there are more than a million in the foreclosure crisis. House prices still have to hit bottom and that is probably 30% lower and probably 3 years away. It is hard to get real estate going with unemployment at 20% and forced part-time employment at 10 million workers. Deceptive government statistics can only hold back reality for so long. People are finally seeing the truth of what unemployment and under-employment really are. Labor deterioration is accompanied by gas and food inflation. People at work paying steeply higher prices are in no position to buy a home. Feeding the family comes first. As a result of forced Fed policies we also have a falling dollar that increases prices for imported goods.

If all this wasn’t bad enough municipalities and states are in serious financial trouble.

Their working force makes up 15% of overall employment and 70% of costs. That means to cut costs you lay people off first. That increases unemployment and disqualifies future homebuyers and puts more underwater homes into foreclosure, which compounds lenders’ losses. Do not underestimate these layoffs, because they will have a strong negative affect on the overall economy. This year was really the beginning of these municipal and state layoffs. Looming in the shadows is the possibility of hundreds of municipal bankruptcies; 35 states are in the same position with no end in sight. Very few people really understand how serious the overall situation really is. These events take a terrible toll on consumer confidence. These were supposed to be lifetime jobs. What happens when pension checks stop due to bankruptcy? That has to slow the economy. 90% of state and local costs are for education. That means more layoffs and doubling class sizes to 40 children. Children are learning very little in school and their success is held down by the quality of students. It will be pandemonium with giant class sizes and many of the best teachers will resign.

The government supplies 35% of wages. Food stamps are helping to feed 44 million Americans. Government wants to cut Social Security, which people have paid into, but is erroneously allowing thousands in under disability. Medicare is a shamble, and Medicare is worse. In spite of the current problems 75% of Americans do not support cuts to Medicare and Social Security. In spite of that, if Wall Street and banking want less benefits, that is what Americans will get. America is accelerating to a welfare state.

Corporate America is in a dilemma. They are facing higher costs for petroleum products and food. This affects profits, if not passed on, business will eventually have to pass these costs on. In that environment there can be little hiring and little if any job growth. If they hold back price increases when increases do come they’ll be very large.

Each day statements from the Fed get more bizarre. One of the latest ones is the Fed has to be accommodative because the central bank remains blow its targets for inflation and employment. Inflation is somewhat high and employment is dreadful.

Many banks are insolvent, yet are allowed to stay in business. Being allowed to keep two sets of books is obscuring their real estate loan problems. This is the shadow inventory you sometimes hear about. Those millions of homes “that exist, but they don’t.” They presently admit to owning some 1 million homes they cannot …
    Last edited by Flamingo; 04-22-2011, 06:38 AM. Reason: To conform to forum posting rules
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Check out the "zombie banks" segment on youtube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

One big problem is the constant focus on just one part of the problem and using it as a whipping boy to the exclusion of the full circle. While I agree that we were in a major bubble, much of that bubble was driven by irresponsible banks not doing their due diligence on every project that came through their doors. The bankers became, not just bankers, but real estate speculators themselves. Not only did they over-extend their capital requirements, but, when troubles began appearing, the greedy focused on, not the bad loans, but those backed by valuable property that they could transfer to their own private pockets at bank expense. With the feds handing out money to cover their mistakes, and bank boards demanding that the bank get out of all real estate and construction loans immediately, there was no incentive to review and analyze the true nature of each loan or to deal ethically with borrowers who were, in fact, not in default and doing a good job.
      The ultimate result of both the commercial market for loans and the subprime housing market mess was to destroy tiers of honest small businesses and the jobs they represent, furthering the decline in the housing market, and ultimately, around the circle to jobs in every sector. Those small businesses were wiped out, not just slowed, as first the bank destroyed the larger borrower, who in turn destroyed the next tier of business, who then ceased to provide business to the next, to the loss of employment in entire sectors, and then to the consumer market. Whole companies were put out of business overnight as bankers canceled their loans without cause.
      The bottom line is that the feds did not understand the reality of trickle down or trickle up, the greed, self-interest and utter ignorance of the banking industry, and the cause and effect nature of lack of sensible enforcement of financial regulations. Until fraud, corruption and collusion come under in-depth regulatory enforcement, with criminal convictions, small business is running scared.

Comment

jjim is right - we need to restore the division of regulations that were gutted in the late 90's and early 2000's like separating gambling (investment banking) and regular banking...and how about higher tax rate on the banksters...

Comment

Originally posted by jjim120 View Post
          One big problem is the constant focus on just one part of the problem and using it as a whipping boy to the exclusion of the full circle. While I agree that we were in a major bubble, much of that bubble was driven by irresponsible banks not doing their due diligence on every project that came through their doors. The bankers became, not just bankers, but real estate speculators themselves. Not only did they over-extend their capital requirements, but, when troubles began appearing, the greedy focused on, not the bad loans, but those backed by valuable property that they could transfer to their own private pockets at bank expense. With the feds handing out money to cover their mistakes, and bank boards demanding that the bank get out of all real estate and construction loans immediately, there was no incentive to review and analyze the true nature of each loan or to deal ethically with borrowers who were, in fact, not in default and doing a good job.
          The ultimate result of both the commercial market for loans and the subprime housing market mess was to destroy tiers of honest small businesses and the jobs they represent, furthering the decline in the housing market, and ultimately, around the circle to jobs in every sector. Those small businesses were wiped out, not just slowed, as first the bank destroyed the larger borrower, who in turn destroyed the next tier of business, who then ceased to provide business to the next, to the loss of employment in entire sectors, and then to the consumer market. Whole companies were put out of business overnight as bankers canceled their loans without cause.
          The bottom line is that the feds did not understand the reality of trickle down or trickle up, the greed, self-interest and utter ignorance of the banking industry, and the cause and effect nature of lack of sensible enforcement of financial regulations. Until fraud, corruption and collusion come under in-depth regulatory enforcement, with criminal convictions, small business is running scared.

So true!!!

Personally I am and always will be convinced that things will only get worse until at least the majority of Americans really do their own research on why it's the way it is.

For instance once 2008/2009 hit I was wondering just how bankrupt zombie banks can still exist, so I read books like "The Creature From Jekyll" and the author explained that the whole purpose of the Fed is to bailout their member banks.

It's been going on for a very long time but this time it's become more noticeable because the bailouts are now in trillion and also they have succeeded in transferring more of the middle class's wealth to the uber rich banksters.

Once the majority understands our fraudulent fractional reserve system a revolution will start. Until this happens it will be more of the same, so get used to it.

The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Now tell me we are not in a depression. I loved the article but I see a far worse depression than the "Great Depression". People are different now. Neighbors are distant, value of life is different, more thieves than ever, and by the last three and current Presidents we are all taught now that it is OK to lie. Wait till the hyper-inflation that is in design mode now, to aid payments to the multiple giveaways. The bubble is on the verge of the bust sooner than later. We have lived in the best of times. That is about to end. I'm fortunate to be nearer my sunset years than the young folks attempting to start out.

Every day my wife and I go out for a drive, we see once again another empty house and the roads are peckered with for sale signs. Used cars on every block with orange for sale signs as people are dumping all extra baggage just to survive.

Alas Babylon. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

In case of emergency there are no leaders you have to lead yourself

Truer words...............

I like your signature, 'Banka
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

This will be the pin bursting the hyper-inflation bubble. Although this photo was taken
                last week outside outside the Watergate Hotel in D.C., these prices are just around the corner for all of us. Everything else will follow suite.

Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by andy158 View Post
                  This will be the pin bursting the hyper-inflation bubble. Although this photo was taken
                  last week outside outside the Watergate Hotel in D.C., these prices are just around the corner for all of us. Everything else will follow suite.

http://blog.timesunion.com/schenecta...anwalsh-ap.jpg

Actually the pin is on the verge of being pulled out of it's cushion and stuck in the last 2 bubbles we have left. The Dollar and the Bond market.

China just announced that they Propose To Cut Two Thirds Of Its $3 Trillion In USD Holdings.

It's all over the Internet as of today.

Andy we will be looking back at your photo talking about how those were the gold old days.

Pretty sick how most of us are certain this train is heading off a cliff and there's nothing we can do.
                  The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

I am in agreement with all the above posts. I am saving up now to try to join a class action lawsuit.

As for the gas prices, call me dumb, but why is it that just before every Presidential election, the gas prices magically go DOWN?
                    Tried debt settlmnt, stopped paying all cards 5/09/--filed bk no asset ch7 in 11/2010---DISCHARGED 2/2011!!! Still waiting to see how much more Bank of America and Fannie Mae can ruin us

Comment

i do still believe the bottom line to all this mess is the GREED and lack of accountability.

i keep seeing this vision in my mind of the poor guy who was robbing a convenience store and apologizing the entire time he was robbing this store he was saying to the clerk, i hate doing this, but i have kids and they need to eat and i lost my job and the banks won't let me charge anymore food. now THAT guy went to jail...what's wrong with this picture? oh, but it's ok that the banks rob us and the oil companies?

whether we are being gouged with high gas and food prices or interest rates by the banks, there is no one, absolutely NO ONE to stop the insanity.
                      Last edited by tobee43; 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM.
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tobee is so right - we also have to ask ourselves, why are people in other developed nations better off versus us??

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                          Tobee is so right - we also have to ask ourselves, why are people in other developed nations better off versus us??
                          i believe it because they do NOT pound their children's heads with all this propaganda, with respect to having to own a HUGE home, drive a luxury car....have designer clothes...all a MUST in our society..right...

maybe they invested in their children a different way, like....education in math and science and social skills....you think?
                          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

you're exactly right!!! In better days when I used to travel a bit for work, when in Europe, I never EVER thought of anything but using public transportation - easy, cheap, and nice (London well it's like NYC)...

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                            i believe it because they do NOT pound their children's heads with all this propaganda, with respect to having to own a HUGE home, drive a luxury car....have designer clothes...all a MUST in our society..right...

maybe they invested in their children a different way, like....education in math and science and social skills....you think?

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                              i do still believe the bottom line to all this mess is the GREED and lack of accountability.

i keep seeing this vision in my mind of the poor guy who was robbing a convenience store and apologizing the entire time he was robbing this store he was saying to the clerk, i hate doing this, but i have kids and they need to eat and i lost my job and the banks won't let me charge anymore food. now THAT guy went to jail...what's wrong with this picture? oh, but it's ok that the banks rob us and the oil companies?

whether we are being gouged with high gas and food prices or interest rates by the banks, there is no one, absolutely NO ONE to stop the insanity.
                              That is the SICKEST part of all (and there are many sick parts to choose from). NO ONE is stopping them. The banks are stealing from the consumers, from the taxpayers, the contractors, the fed, the insurance companies, and anyone else they can. And they are getting away with it. Loopholes, kickbacks, lobbying, all sick, sick, sick. The corruption is rampant and I believe until successful RICO cases are filed against them ad nauseum, it will continue just the way it is. Just how they planned it.
                              Tried debt settlmnt, stopped paying all cards 5/09/--filed bk no asset ch7 in 11/2010---DISCHARGED 2/2011!!! Still waiting to see how much more Bank of America and Fannie Mae can ruin us

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X