Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Shockingly weak' job growth in May

June 1, 2011

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Growth in the job market weakened in May, surprising economists and spurring them to call a report on private payrolls "shockingly weak," "grim," and even a "hairball."

"The ADP Employment report coughed up a hairball in May," Robert Dye, senior economist with the PNC Financial Services Group, said in a research note, referring to a report by payroll processing company ADP released Wednesday.

That report showed private sector employers added only 38,000 workers in May, far lower than the revised 177,000 jobs added in April and much weaker than economists had expected.

That level of job growth is the weakest number since September. According to ADP, the private sector had added 100,000 jobs in each of the prior six months leading to May.

"No matter what, this is obviously a very, very weak result," said Jennifer Lee, senior economist with BMO Capital Markets. "Employers are still hiring but they're reluctant to pick up the pace until they're convinced the recovery is self-sustaining."

The broader services sector added 48,000 jobs overall, its slowest growth since last July.

The manufacturing sector cut 9,000 jobs, the financial services sector lost 6,000 jobs and the construction sector pared 8,000 workers.

(click http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/01/news...d=HP_LN&iid=EL to view video clip)

American workers seek jobs in Asia

The ADP report followed on the heels of an already disappointing jobs number released by outplacement consulting firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas on Wednesday morning.

According to that report, the pace of planned job cuts edged higher in May, as 37,135 jobs went on the chopping block -- a 1.8% increase from April's planned job cuts.

But government sector layoff announcements dominating those numbers.

"Despite several signs of weakness in the recovery, the continued slow pace of downsizing outside of the government sector suggests that employers do not see these as long-term problems," John A. Challenger, chief executive officer of Challenger, Gray & Christmas said in a statement.

How to find a job in 2011

The ADP and Challenger reports typically set the tone for the government's highly anticipated monthly jobs report due Friday.

Prior to seeing those reports Wednesday, economists surveyed by CNNMoney had predicted that the economy added 176,000 new jobs in May, including a private sector payrolls gain of 193,000.

Now they say there's a much higher risk the government's tally could come in much lower.

Ian Shepherdson, chief U.S. economist with High Frequency Economics, cut his forecast for Friday's private-payroll government number to 75,000 from his previous estimate of 175,000.

Diane Swonk, chief economist of Mesirow Financial -- who had previously predicted a gain of 190,000 private sector jobs -- said she wouldn't be surprised to see that number now fall below 100,000 in May.

Growth in the job market slumped further than expected in May, surprising economists and spurring them to call a report on private payrolls "shockingly weak," "grim," and even a "hairball."
    Last edited by tobee43; 06-03-2011, 07:05 AM.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

I'm shocked too. I thought it would be at least 62 thousand since that's how many McDonalds hired.

Hopefully Burger King and Wendys each hire 62k in the coming months. This way 2011 won't be a total loss.
    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Yes, but those "employers" hire people and they only work 10-15 hours a week, if they are lucky! Wal*Mart has reduced many full time positions from 40 hours to 32-35 hours a week. This is why I "hate" the jobs report. It is so full of bologna!
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

of course we all know one can support a family of 4 on a burger king wage.

although, i did see this story on CBS about McDonald's and how one manager in MA makes over 200k (his salary was a base salary then contingent on sales numbers). oh well, not happening here, we have at least 5 McDonald's withing a 5 mile radius, so sales are most likely even.

i know in my area they are saying the economy beginning to rebound, i'm just not certain where they are talking about exactly??? or how?? when you go to the Sunday paper to the employment sections there is NOTHING...nada.

i think this also reflects just how deeply this housing bubble has effected us. during the boom, people were working, housing was going up which meant lumber mills were cutting and truck drivers were delivering, and bathroom fixture companies were producing, and real estate people were running here and there to sell; it goes on and on how that industry reflects so much in our economy!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X