Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Player Sold Super Bowl Rings After Filing Bankruptcy

August 10, 2011

Former Raiders punter and perennial Hall of Fame snub Ray Guy saw his three Super Bowl rings sell for $80,100 this week as part of a bankruptcy filing. The seven-time Pro Bowler was forced to sell the rings after filing for bankruptcy this spring.

An unnamed buyer purchased the rings from a Los Angeles auction house. The rings, from Super Bowl XI, XV and XVIII, contained 28, 35 and 23 diamonds, respectively. They were won during Guy's 14-year NFL career; the first two in Oakland and the final one in 1984 after the team moved to Los Angeles. Strangely, each ring was a different size, suggesting that, like a pair of pants, Super Bowl rings can run big or small.

When asked by the Augusta Chronicle about the sale, Guy declined to elaborate.

"I don't walk to talk about it," he said. "I'm not trying to be hateful, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do."

The average price of $26,500 per ring was on the lower side for recent sales of similar items, although the fact that Guy's were offered as a package had a clear effect on the overall price.

A Super Bowl II ring belonging to Green Bay Packers legend Fuzzy Thurston sold for more than $40,000 earlier this summer. Three years ago, William "The Refrigerator" Perry sold his Super Bowl XX ring for $27,000. It was returned to him earlier this year by a 10-year-old boy who thought the former Chicago Bears star would appreciate having it back.

Last edited by Flamingo; 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: To conform to forum posting rules - OP please take note!
    Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
    November 2010
    Closed: January 2011!!!

Originally posted by BankruptinNJ View Post
    Former Raiders punter and perennial Hall of Fame snub Ray Guy saw his three Super Bowl rings sell for $80,100 this week as part of a bankruptcy filing. The seven-time Pro Bowler was forced to sell the rings after filing for bankruptcy this spring.

An unnamed buyer purchased the rings from a Los Angeles auction house. The rings, from Super Bowl XI, XV and XVIII, contained 28, 35 and 23 diamonds, respectively. They were won during Guy's 14-year NFL career; the first two in Oakland and the final one in 1984 after the team moved to Los Angeles. Strangely, each ring was a different size, suggesting that, like a pair of pants, Super Bowl rings can run big or small.

When asked by the Augusta Chronicle about the sale, Guy declined to elaborate.

"I don't walk to talk about it," he said. "I'm not trying to be hateful, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do."

The average price of $26,500 per ring was on the lower side for recent sales of similar items, although the fact that Guy's were offered as a package had a clear effect on the overall price.

A Super Bowl II ring belonging to Green Bay Packers legend Fuzzy Thurston sold for more than $40,000 earlier this summer. Three years ago, William "The Refrigerator" Perry sold his Super Bowl XX ring for $27,000. It was returned to him earlier this year by a 10-year-old boy who thought the former Chicago Bears star would appreciate having it back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp4882

That man was a great punter, and should be in the Hall of Fame.

Hope all works out for him.

Comment

Really, the NFL should do a better job at instructing new players to be careful and not take grate financial risks. Here in New Orleans, former Saints RB Deuce McCallister - an all around nice guy and great character person - went through BK because he invested in car dealerships in Jackson, MS, and evidently he was trying to help his college friends out by giving them jobs there, and it just didn't work out. (Ironically the Saints owner himself was a car dealer!) And of course, there are the ones with less than good character who seem to throw cash around with their posse.

If someone had given me a few million $ in my early 20's, I would have been set for life.

Comment

Originally posted by espo1357 View Post
        That man was a great punter, and should be in the Hall of Fame.
        Agreed. He was the first punter that folks looked at as a real weapon on a team, as opposed to an accoutrement. Certainly, the greatest punter of all time should be in the HOF!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X