Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obama delays request to hike debt ceiling

December 31, 2011

HONOLULU -- At the request of congressional leaders, President Obama is delaying his certification that government spending is again nearing the legal borrowing limit and it must be increased by $1.2-trillion.

On the advice of the Treasury Department, Mr. Obama was poised to declare Friday that the debt of the United States was within $100 billion of the statutory debt ceiling, which now stands at $15.194 trilllion.

Under the Budget Control Act enacted this year, that certification enables the president to call for an increase in the debt limit of $1.2 trillion.

The same law gives Congress 15 days in which to block the debt limit increase by voting a resolution of disapproval. Because neither the House nor Senate is due back in session within 15 days, the leaders asked Mr. Obama to delay his certification, which he agreed to do.

A senior administration official was coy about the way in which the leaders, Republican House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, made their request for a delay.

The White House says the Treasury Department can take steps to ensure that the debt subject to limit, now at $15.083-trillion, will not hit the ceiling because of the delay, or adversely impact the government's credit-standing.

"The administration is in discussions with leaders in both houses to determine the best timing for submission of the certification and any subsequent votes in the two houses," said Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest, briefing reporters in Hawaii with the president, who is on vacation.

A $1.2 trillion increase in the debt limit will eliminate the need for a subsequent hike until the end of 2012 - after the presidential election, according the the Treasury's analysis.

The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

I hope they have a very good vacation (paid vacation that is) before going back to work to take care of this small issue.

I can't imagine how the government can manage to spend less then 100 billion in 3 weeks before the vote.

I keep bringing up this "small little issue" because when it finally does blow up (and it will) it will resemble the US getting nuked without the radioactive fallout.

I will be surprised if we make it to February without another credit downgrade.

Happy New Year America!!! USA!USA!

Comment

The country is swirling around in the bowl after the handle has been pulled and Congress takes recess until January 14! I don't get that much vacation after working for the same company for 15 yrs!
      Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Congress is away from recess, its still no vacation for them. They are usually in their district working on constituency matters.

Originally posted by andy158 View Post
        The country is swirling around in the bowl after the handle has been pulled and Congress takes recess until January 14! I don't get that much vacation after working for the same company for 15 yrs!

Comment

President is never on vacation until they leave office. Congress is in recess.

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
          I hope they have a very good vacation (paid vacation that is) before going back to work to take care of this small issue.

I can't imagine how the government can manage to spend less then 100 billion in 3 weeks before the vote.

I keep bringing up this "small little issue" because when it finally does blow up (and it will) it will resemble the US getting nuked without the radioactive fallout.

I will be surprised if we make it to February without another credit downgrade.

Happy New Year America!!! USA!USA!

Comment

Jacko, do you really believe that? You think they are "working" for us?

I think you are still hungover from last night.

An aspirin and a glass of water might help.

Comment

PLEASE! this debt ceiling stuff has to be put to a stop. we are being held hostage by congress. I AM SO TIRED OF THIS...REAGAN...CLINTON all of them did this. and, now, OBAMBA needs to do it and it's a policial issue. i can't take it!!!!!

i hope they ALL get voted out and we have a balanced congress so we can get some REAL issues passed. enough already.

happy new year!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

We're never going to pay this debt back.

I wonder about the people or governments or entities, or whatever you want to call them, who keep lending us money. Don't they realize that we are never going to pay them back?

I wonder if they realize that whatever they "lend" to us is really a gift at this point. They're not even going to get the principal back on their "investment" in us.
                The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                  We're never going to pay this debt back.

I wonder about the people or governments or entities, or whatever you want to call them, who keep lending us money. Don't they realize that we are never going to pay them back?

I wonder if they realize that whatever they "lend" to us is really a gift at this point. They're not even going to get the principal back on their "investment" in us.

Agreed! Foreigners such as China do realize this but they cannot just dump their dollar and bond holdings on the market because it will destroy the value of their remaining holdings.

Also if they do this and kill our economy we will kill theirs for sure. Black Friday and the "pepper spray bandit" will be no more and China will be very unhappy since we won't buy anymore of their cr@p.

What they will most likely do is slowly sell their US assets and buy commodities instead. As their bonds mature they will cash out, but they won't dump it all at once.

Same with Japan. As for the smaller sucker such as the American that contributes to their 401k and puts it in bond funds they just gave a nice gift to Obama and Congress.

Same goes for all the people buying US Savings bonds for small children. Those people are world class fools wasting money like that.

Comment

We HATE spammers!

~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X