Verizon Wireless continuously harasses me about my old phone account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verizon Wireless continuously harasses me about my old phone account

So I have been wanting to file bankruptcy on an old account that I still owe money on ($736.83) I don’t know if my bankruptcy attorney here in town would help me because he thinks that it’s too little should I pay the balance or file bankruptcy on it?

Is that your only debt? If so then filing bankruptcy would be the absolute worst possible decision you could make.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Welcome to BKForum!

Filing bankruptcy for just a single bill of $736 is not worth it. Filing a Chapter 7 alone would be, at minimum, $1,000 plus the filing fee of about $338.00.

Think of a Chapter 7 discharge as a bazooka and your Verizon account, at $736.83, as a microbe. Sure you can obliterate the microbe but you can't use that bazooka for 7 years.

Usually creditors will negotiate on old debt once it ages somewhat. Offers could be 10%, 20% or more. Some settle for about 1/3rd of the total. I'm not suggesting that settlement is something easy, but maybe your attorney could negotiate something for you rather than pay $1,338 (minimum if your attorney only charges $1,000 for an "easy' Chapter 7).
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X