top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie searching for any advice on how to immediately start building back credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie searching for any advice on how to immediately start building back credit

Hi, Kara from GA here. We were forced to file bankruptcy after a garnishment hit us from a parking ticket my husband got a decade ago in a work vehicle. It was from Kansas City MO and the lawyer they hired hit us with garnishment, which nobody has reached out to us before filing the judgment, and they want 50% or our income. We are already drowning in this horrendous economy. We are 50 years old. Lost all our savings during covid while laid off for 13 mths. Didn't get unemployment until after we were back to work. OH was very messed up during covid. My husband has always made good money. But the economy has hitbhia company and we've lost $1,000 every two weeks because of that. Then the garnishment, then day after we got the garnishment, we got a letter from IRS stating we owed $5K from 2012!!! What? That's $10K between garnishment and IRS. In order to emergency stop garnishment we had to file chapter 13. What now? What are the best steps to start rebuilding our credit?

Welcome to BKForum.

Please read shipo's Rebuilding Credit thread. Then ask questions.

The following is kind of a distillation of various bits of post-discharge advice (from my "do as I suggest, not as I did" department) I've helped other folks out with: Following your discharge: Wait 6 weeks and then get copies of all three of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com Go through those reports
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X