The rising cost of getting your hair done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rising cost of getting your hair done

CAB 44...saw in your other post that you work in a salon. Here is what just happened to me.

My hair was almost shoulder lenth between chin & shoulder mid point, brunette streaked with blonde (I get it foiled) well, my last foiling was bad and I hated my hair and had been just slicking it back into a scrunchy. Since season in FL is here, I had to do something before my people come back at the Association where I work. I went to the AVEDA Salon and they took care of me alright, lowlighted me heavy, blonde still shows through but shimmery, gave me a just below the chin, blunt cut, stacked in the back & I ended up doing my bangs this morning as it just wasn't working...anyhow, it was over $150 to do this cut & color....I didn't even leave a tip as I was so pissed...this was last Thursday night...I totally feel I got ripped off & they even tried to sell me $23 hairspray...now, I've used Aveda products and am familiar with them since my NYC days....however, I am so embarressed, my cut now looks good that I took care of the bangs (used to go to hair school myself)...I just cannot justify the cost but I'm hearing from my friends at work that it's not that far off...what's up with hair these days????

I'm freaked out enough looking at my self with a darker color, let alone the money I spent....yikes....
    Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
    Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
    CAB 44...saw in your other post that you work in a salon. Here is what just happened to me.

My hair was almost shoulder lenth between chin & shoulder mid point, brunette streaked with blonde (I get it foiled) well, my last foiling was bad and I hated my hair and had been just slicking it back into a scrunchy. Since season in FL is here, I had to do something before my people come back at the Association where I work. I went to the AVEDA Salon and they took care of me alright, lowlighted me heavy, blonde still shows through but shimmery, gave me a just below the chin, blunt cut, stacked in the back & I ended up doing my bangs this morning as it just wasn't working...anyhow, it was over $150 to do this cut & color....I didn't even leave a tip as I was so pissed...this was last Thursday night...I totally feel I got ripped off & they even tried to sell me $23 hairspray...now, I've used Aveda products and am familiar with them since my NYC days....however, I am so embarressed, my cut now looks good that I took care of the bangs (used to go to hair school myself)...I just cannot justify the cost but I'm hearing from my friends at work that it's not that far off...what's up with hair these days????

I'm freaked out enough looking at my self with a darker color, let alone the money I spent....yikes....
    Oh goodness AMISLANDER~
    Well, I don't understand the high 150. either~
    I use Redken and Martix products (color/both semi and perm) only and I get about 70.00 for color cut/style ...now if I foil is usually is a little bit higher, because of the time involved....it does take a lot longer~ different product, that sort of thing~
    I am aware that things including cuts and color are a bit higher in "cities" ...those salons usually have a "hot reputation" ... but it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg~ however the stylists in those salons tend to have to pay a higher rent for their space or commission is high~ so I guess that's where they justify the higher cost~

I keep up on education and go to shows and such... and it is important to me for customer satisfaction....it's MY name going out of that door!!!! And that means a lot to me...nothing can ruin your name like an unsatisfied client~
    I know that you could call the salon and ask the owner to justify the cost to you....and if they are not sincere, then politely tell them that you will not be a client in that salon again~ remind him/her that you work with the public.....that usually makes them come down a notch! I can't stand hoity toity salon owners, who think they are God's GIFT !!!!! I am very careful where I work because I want people to LIKE ALL of us in the salon...it's THAT important!!
    One suggestion that I will offer....look around you when you are shopping or at the grocery store whatever, and when you see someones hair that you really like or looks like a great cut~ ASK them for the salon name and stylist name where they got their hair done at and when you hear the same salon/stylist name that's where you should probably go!! It's a good indication they do good work! And people are NOT afraid to tell you where they went!! They LOVE it when someone compliments their hair!!!!!!! And they WON'T think you're wierd!!!!!!!!!!! promise!!
    I know if I am happy with something, I don't mind paying for it...but when I feel I got gypt, I don't like it either~
    If you're not happy with the color being darker...hang on,,if you had it highlighted before and they just put something over it to make it darker...usually that new darker color will FADE some after about 2 weeks...and it'll look good or better!! It is a shocker when you go from one color to the next!!! I know that one for sure!!!!!!!
    P.s.~ I don't blame you for not leaving a tip~ really......! nothing says you are NOT happy than when you don't give a tip!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry that you felt gypt~ that does hurt~ especially when you are on a tight income, but even so...like I said~ no one likes to pay for something they didn't feel great about~ including me....

Comment

If you're not happy with the color being darker...hang on,,if you had it highlighted before and they just put something over it to make it darker...usually that new darker color will FADE some after about 2 weeks...and it'll look good or better!! It is a shocker when you go from one color to the next!!! I know that one for sure!!!!!!!
      P.s.~ I don't blame you for not leaving a tip~ really......! nothing says you are NOT happy than when you don't give a tip!!!!!!!!!

Usually, my blond highlighting w/foil costs around $100/125.....

What this stylist did was "lowlighting".....but she left what I call some of the highlighting previously to show through.....I'm guessing too, that the "lowlights" will do some fading...and then I'm afraid of the "washed out" look....so, maybe, it's better to wait & see if that happens...and then I will feel better justified for going back & complaining....she put a toner on it as well, which I know will fade out....

At least, it no longer looks brassy....the lowlights and haircut have removed alot of my hair that was splitting from being overprocessed...I'll put a picture in my profile and you can see (when hair was done right, what it looked like)...When I had it done in Aug....something happened & it was just a nightmare...and that was from someone I had been going to for ten years....

You are right, next time I see someone with color/cut I like...I'm stopping them...this happened to me a few weeks ago & I knew I should have stopped the girl with the hair that I thought was hot....dumb me...I'll learn....yeah, broke from getting my hair done now!!!! At the price I paid, tip was included! LOL!
      Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,

Comment

Now I know its different for women, but being a guy, I go to the cheapest place and always tip $5, regardless of quality or service. Because I know if I go somewhere and spend alot of money, I can still just as easily end up with a really bad haircut, it happens all the time.

Comment

Boy do I ever need a haircut! And not just anyone can cut my hair. It is shoulder length, very thick, and naturally curly. Oh yes, and coarse. The wrong cut and I look like Buckwheat on crack--not pretty.

Cab, I know what you mean about "hoity toity" salons. I can't stand them either. I want a good haircut and good service, but I do not like stuck up salon owners.

Right now things are so tight that I am taking my daughter to get her hair cut this weekend and I will have to wait a couple of more weeks. I really liked the bob I had last year and will probably go back to that.

My daughter has long, thick, coarse and wavy hair, too. It is beautiful, but of course I think she's gorgeous.

My husband and son cut each others' hair. My son also cuts his friends hair, usually on the front porch! Guys are so much cheaper!
          Filed: 2/24/2006
          341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
          Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Be happy you don't live in Los Angeles!! you are hard pressed to find someone to do foils for less than $95 and a cut for less than $65!! And that is the lower end of the spectrum!!! And if you get a color without a cut then the blowdry is $45 extra. That is industry standard and they do expect a 15-20% tip. I used to work next door to Sally Hershberg Salon in West Hollywood. Her cuts START at $425; foils at $500; and a blow dry and style is $225. The clencher? You have to be put on a 3-4 month waiting list to get in with her! You won't catch me there, but you will catch me at my hairdresser every 4 weeks for my touch up writing my $90 check!!! (she gives me a discount because we are friends!!) Shheessh!
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I would fall over dead if it cost $425 to get my hair done

Comment

We've been going thru this very same thing. Finding a place to get hair done.

Out in Missouri, we found a "beautician" at one of those quicky cut places that did a real good job for cheap. Every time we went to that place, we made sure to go when she was on duty and ask for Sherry ONLY.

Hubby didn't particularly care for "beauty parlors" but he'd had a couple of bad go arounds with Barber Shops that had been recommended to him. Even Hubby and son went to see Sherry.

Sherry got so good, and built up such a clientelle that she moved out to a private salon. Got her own booth/chair. We followed her and nobody else had done our hair in 10+ years. Sherry was reasonable. More expensive than the cheapy places, cheaper than the phoo phoo salons.

Then we move and we have to go thru finding someone all over again. And let me tell you it's been tough for us gals. The guys found a Barber Shop that they like. They get decent hair cuts. In and out the door quick and it's cheap. They love it. But for us gals,........ UGH!!

I've tried the "ask someone who's got a nice do where they get their hair done" thaing. You wouldn't believe the number of people who know someone who does hair in their home and isn't taking on new people!! I had had my hair cut ONCE in the last 18 months.

FINALLY, daughter finds out that one of her friends' Mom is a stylist. So we decide to go give that gal a try. I got a cut. It was OK. She did an alright job and didn't charge an arm and a leg. It was $15 for wash, cut/style, and dry.

Daughter got 2 tone foil highlights, wash, cut/style, and dry for $90. Her hair came out alright. But we were used to paying $60 for that.

BUT,........... Other daughter went to get her hair done. She got it all died one color to fix it. Then she had 2 tone highlights put in. Cut/Style, wash, and dry. $120!!

What is up with these prices??!!
                Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                Discharged - 12/2006
                Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

All the girls I work with pay $75 to $125 to get their hair cut/style, two-toned........

Me.................... mine is long, snipped off on the ends only and mother nature has two-toned it tremondously for me already..... My haircut is
                  $7.50!!!!

If I had to fork out that kind of money for a haircut I've have to let the electric bill go unpaid......

My roommate has her haircut at a barber shop...... has for years....... the guy does a better job than any beautician she has seen in the past....
                  Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by debtisbad View Post
                    I would fall over dead if it cost $425 to get my hair done
                    I didn't leave the house until Sunday after my haircut.

Comment

So glad I started this thread!!!!

....see I live off/on Anna Maria Island...the only "fast food" they have here is Subway....it's not like Los Angeles here.....I'm guessing the Aveda Salon is trying not only to pay rent but "windstorm" insurance due to our unpredictable hurricane season.....so....I guess, I'll try doing my own highlighting....or let my bf do it....he likes to paint! lol!

When I need a trim in about 3 months, I'll have hopefully found someone on the street who's hair I like and will be pointed, hopefully, in the right direction....my boyfriend asked me why I didn't take my professional picture of my hair nice & bleached out...I said, because I did it & it took 3 boxes of Feria and that's why my hair was so short & white....you just can't keep dying brunette hair blonde & expect it to stay long!

Comment

Oh my gosh I am one of the lucky few in that I don't pay anything for my hair to be done!! My best friend from high school does my hair in exchange for me doing her taxes -- and she also does my son and DH. Given I have to travel 250 to see her but it is also my hometown so I go for family visits.
                        Filed Chap 7 6/30/06 - 341 Meeting 8/1/06 -
                        Deadline for objections 10/10/06
                        US Trustee extended deadline to 12/9/06
                        Dishcharged 12/29/2006

Comment

ROFLOL~~~~
                          I am laughing SO hard~ IT"S GREAT to read all of your responses!!!!!!!
                          Trust me though, I'm NOT laughing AT you....laughing WITH you!!!!
                          These are all stories that I hear a bazillion times a day~

Dang Amislander...if I would have known this subject on a thread would have cause as much response as it has~ I would have started it myself!!!!!!!!!
                          LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!

I tell you another reason why I love reading this is because truly, this helps ME to understand what the paying public is THINKING!!!! I NEED THAT!!!!!!
                          It does me good to know what you guys are feeling about prices, services...etc etc....
                          I could tell you some stories myself believe me......
                          I always say ...I should qualify for a PHD because of all of the "therapy" I do...but hey~ it is a two way street!!! I have some FABULOUS people that I have shared my heart and soul with too!! I have lived here now for 26+ yrs. and have some people STILL that I did when I first moved to town...quite a few...that makes me feel good!!!!! I love them~ they have become in many ways my extended family~

I think the WORST thing to have to find when you move is a hairstylist~

Yes the guys go where ever, and for most they are happy....but don't be fooled....some of the guys can be WORSE than any woman alive!!!! hee hee!!!!!

I just have always felt that when I go to set my prices....I believe it this way~
                          I ALWAYS ask myself.......would I pay that price for a good haircut/color/ perm/ foils whatever.....and if the answer is an honest YES...then that's what I charge~ I have a price list that everyone can see, so there are NO surprizes.....that's rude to not have one or the stylist to not give you an idea up front.....
                          I don't go up every year....in fact, I only go up every three years......my products go up every year, but I know not to cut my throat~
                          I go to continued education and it's mostly Redken and Matrix shows~ they are the best educators...Rusk is good too....but I don't use that as an excuse to charge ridiculous prices.....

Like I said~ usually when you see someone that you like their hair "ASK 'EM" who did it~ they'll tell you and when you come on the same name twice that's a good indication the person is good......

As Jeepy89 said~ she barters out with a friend...that's a good thing too...I have done that myself......exchanging my service for anothers service~ that's great!

Minney~ I know lots of Barbers that cut really good womens hair as well!
                          I have cut my hair for almost 8 years now, simlply because it is hard to find someone that I trust myself!! The salon that I am at now is GREAT the owner does a GREAT job, and I let her do mine now~ it's good to have that advantage again!!!!!!!! But I TOO know what it's like to NOT be able to find a good stylist! And thank GOD I don't have to pay for it~ I couldn't do it either....

My daughter that is a senior this year has natural ability to do hair, so she is going to school after graduation...I am EXCITED!!!!!
                          The only thing...when I went to school it cost 800.00 for the whole thing...her's will be 8,000.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          YYIIIKKKEEESSSS!!!!!! but comparing it to college otherwise~ it's pretty cheap...only takes 9-10 months! and it's worth it~It has made me a decent living~ I can't complain!!!!

SinkingFast~ I had a "sherry" too...only her name was Renee ....in Tucson~ when I was in hig school...I LOVED her!!!!!!!! She was the one to "encourage" me~ and I have loved my job~ MOST of the time!!!!! I always think of her!!!

Jane~ too bad we don't live close sweetie~ I would love to trim your hair~ Curly hair is the BEST!!!!! Mine is STICK STRAIGHT~ you know...all about that the other side of the fence thing...hahahahaha

Cindy~ thank god for friends 'eh?!

DIB~ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOMO~ you've got the right idea!!!! I love simplicity!!!!!!
                          I have loved reading this thread!!!!!!
                          It's been a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          more more more!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Being a guy, I tend to go Fantastic Sams for a hair cut, but when I lived in L.A. I had a guy who did my hair since I was 14...he worked at an elite Salon and then opened his own place. I will still go see him from time to time when I am Los Angeles...and to be honest...there REALLY is a difference between the cheapy haircuts and going to someone who appreciates the artistry of hair cutting. Of course, for guys, this all depends on your hair style, if you keep your hair very short, the Fantastic Sams and Supercuts of the world are just fine, but if you want something a little more elaborate, the extra money is usually worth it.

What I do miss are the classic places where you could get a shave and a haircut (no, I am not old), I just lived in downtown Cleveland for a while, and there was this whole in the wall shop with a great ole barber and you could gut a cut and a shave (with a straight razor)...it really is a great experience.

Comment

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones too, my niece does my color and cut for only $25.00. She wouldn't even take that if I didn't make her! If I had to pay the prices listed here, I guess my hair would be down to my knees
                              9/28/06: Filed Chapter 7
                              10/25/06: 341 meeting Done!
                              12/25/06: Last day for objections.... Dear Santa, can we have a bk discharge for Christmas please?
                              1/12/07: Discharged & closed!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X