No announcement yet.

The rising cost of getting your hair done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have long (about 6 inches below shoulder) layered hair, and its very thick. My stylist charges me $35 and I get it cut about every 6 weeks--but that's really pushing it. He is amazing--meticulous cut, everything perfect. When I need to save some money I schedule him for every 8 weeks and do a trim at some chain store at 4 weeks--they can't really screw up only 4 weeks after a good cut.

$75 for hair cut and highlights (pull through the cap type.)

When I was in college, I used to go to a beauty school and got great cuts at cheap prices. They were supervised during the whole process and I never got a bad cut.
    *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      Being a guy, I tend to go Fantastic Sams for a hair cut, but when I lived in L.A. I had a guy who did my hair since I was 14...he worked at an elite Salon and then opened his own place. I will still go see him from time to time when I am Los Angeles...and to be honest...there REALLY is a difference between the cheapy haircuts and going to someone who appreciates the artistry of hair cutting. Of course, for guys, this all depends on your hair style, if you keep your hair very short, the Fantastic Sams and Supercuts of the world are just fine, but if you want something a little more elaborate, the extra money is usually worth it.

What I do miss are the classic places where you could get a shave and a haircut (no, I am not old), I just lived in downtown Cleveland for a while, and there was this whole in the wall shop with a great ole barber and you could gut a cut and a shave (with a straight razor)...it really is a great experience.
      Yes HHM, there is a difference in a cheapy haircut and a good one~ some people believe that if you "JUST GO TO COSMETOLOGY school~ they'll TEACH you HOW...." HAHAHAHAHAHA~ NOT SO!!!! that's like saying that someone who is Great at anything but say photography...that looks simple enough, but you and I both know that it depends on WHO does them.....there are people that do that and do it WELL!!!!! NOT MEEEEEE !!!!!!
      That's why I said what I said about my daughter, she has a natural ability to do hair....she will be great!!!!!!!!!
      And YES....full service straight edged razor shaves are a RARITY these days~ I've heard many men...even young men....like yourself HHM....heehee.....say that it IS THE BEST!!!!!! but they are hard to find~ a dying art...for sure!!
      Good stylist are out there, and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg~
      but a good job doesn't come cheap....and like I said~ most of us here don't mind paying for what you get...if it's good ...it's GOOD, but if it's not~ then hey~ stand up and say something!! They NEED to know!!!!!!!!!

Comment

yeah, I think I posted in another thread about my affinity for "custom" made business dress shirts. Sometimes, quality is just worth it.

Comment

and i thought $15 bucks was high for getting mine cut

Comment

We've lived here for 20 years and that whole time I've had just two hair stylists (and the only reason I had more than one is that my first one moved and I switched over to his partner! )

I have fairly short, fine, thick hair so a good cut is crucial. I LOVE my stylist - she knows my hair better than I do! She charges $30-35 for a cut/blowdry and $90 every 4-5 months when I have my hair highlighted (now with folded over papers, but did the cap method for years, Anon....I don't miss the hair pulling through those small holes one bit!). Prices are lower here because we're in the midwest. Even the "chi-chi" salons only charge $60-65 for a cut/blowdry.

Husband has gone for years to a neighborhood barbershop he loves - a haircut is $10 (but since he's totally bald on top, he always says that's a lot just to trim around his head in a band 2" above his ears! lol!)
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

ROFLOL~~~~
              I am laughing SO hard~ IT"S GREAT to read all of your responses!!!!!!!
              Trust me though, I'm NOT laughing AT you....laughing WITH you!!!!
              These are all stories that I hear a bazillion times a day~

I'm glad you're all enjoying this discussion, too!

I don't feel quite so bad...but you know darn well, I went home last night & after dinner did a bit more "correcting" on my bangs...lol...anyhow I stopped before I was a head (LOLmore ROFLMA)...and they came out perfect...had a few glasses of vino & called my girlfriend and we debated the issue of hair for a good 1/2 hour....still ROFLMAO.....

Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
              Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

CAB:

I wish we lived closer, too. We could work out a barter system. My best friend moved away and she used to do my nails. I would help her clean as she hated housework. I also make a mean margarita. "Tequila and toilets are my specialties !!"

My hair is behaving today, thank goodness! I have a big job interview this afternoon. I would have really been in a bad mood with a bad hair day. My husband just doesn't get it!
                Filed: 2/24/2006
                341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
                Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by jane taylor View Post
                  CAB:

I wish we lived closer, too. We could work out a barter system. My best friend moved away and she used to do my nails. I would help her clean as she hated housework. I also make a mean margarita. "Tequila and toilets are my specialties !!"

My hair is behaving today, thank goodness! I have a big job interview this afternoon. I would have really been in a bad mood with a bad hair day. My husband just doesn't get it!
                  woo-hoo~ that would work~ I love Margarita's~
                  Glad you had a good hair day~ bad hair days make me feel yucky too!! And YES ! I DO have them!!!!!!
                  Hope you job interview went WELL!!!!

Comment

I pay ten cents per corner.
                    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
                      I pay ten cents per corner.

That's funny. Well, I'm getting used to the color. It's been a week.

Question: They have been cycling chlorine or something like it through our water system...you can smell the bleach/chlorine smell when you turn on the shower...will this fade my hair?
                      Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post

Question: They have been cycling chlorine or something like it through our water system...you can smell the bleach/chlorine smell when you turn on the shower...will this fade my hair?
                        They only put in like 50 parts per million to sanitize public water, you can drink it, wash your clothes in it, it won't bleach anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post

Well...I know it strips my hair..when our water co. does that too.....
                          it does wash out your reds faster...makes it dull~
                          so if you have red in your color~ yes...you'll notice your red fading more!

Comment

Originally posted by CAB_44 View Post
                            Well...I know it strips my hair..when our water co. does that too.....
                            it does wash out your reds faster...makes it dull~
                            so if you have red in your color~ yes...you'll notice your red fading more!

I don't have to worry about this at all! ;)

hehehehehehe
                            BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

Why didn't you ask how much the services cost before you had them done? I never get anything done, not even a haircut, without asking how much it costs first. I've had my hair cut at Aveda salons before, and I asked how much highlights cost. The prices ranged from $50-$90. I don't think you can blame the salon for anything. If you didn't ask how much it would cost, how can you be upset when they charged you for their services?

Comment

Originally posted by Grace View Post
                                Why didn't you ask how much the services cost before you had them done? I never get anything done, not even a haircut, without asking how much it costs first. I've had my hair cut at Aveda salons before, and I asked how much highlights cost. The prices ranged from $50-$90. I don't think you can blame the salon for anything. If you didn't ask how much it would cost, how can you be upset when they charged you for their services?

I looked at the price list & saw the charges of what a cut & color was. My stylist said it was more due to the extensive low lighting, which she told me after the fact...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X