When you least expect it... (rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you least expect it... (rant)

Someone tried to steal my car last night. Broke the driver's side window and apparently in an attempt to get the car started, managed to BREAK the ignition!! They couldn't get the car, but they sure left a mess behind. I couldn't go to work today.

A locksmith is coming early this afternoon to change the ignition. Quoted $260, and AAA Plus supposedly will reimburse me $100 within 30 days. I have no idea how much replacing the window will cost. I'll go to an auto glass place after the locksmith changes the ignition and I can get the car going again.

My insurance deductible is $500, so there's no point in filing a claim.

Car thieves SUCK.
    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Sorry to hear about this...yeah, thieves do suck...we had this happen to us when we first moved to Florida...I still have my "club" but haven't used it lately....not the end all, but certainly makes the thieves work a bit longer while giving a car alarm the chance to get on their nerves!
    Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
    Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

About a year ago I parked in downtown Philadephia on 2nd Street to attend a funeral that was taking place a few blocks away (parking was at an extreme premium if anyone knows of parking in large cities). I parked in a residential area. When I returned, my rear driver's side window was broken in, glass strewn all over the car and street, so I understand your horror at discovering what you did today. It's an awful feeling. To replace that window was about $238.00 and they cleaned up the glass and car. I had to drive home on a winter night with all that glass in my car and miss work the next day to get it repaired. We have a deductible but for window/glass replacement we had zero deductible (same if a rock hits our window and cracks the windshield). Nothing was taken and the police advised me it was probably the crack addicts that look into cars and if they see something they think is cash or food, will hit and run. Or it could have been vandals strolling the street with nothing better to do and since I had out of state tags or in someone's favorite parking spot. It's sickening what some people will do.

May I suggest getting the old "Club" which is a big deterrant or an alarm system to avoid this again. Your car may be one of the ones that people like to steal or may be easy to steal so the investment would be worth it. Or it just could have been a random hit for the heck of it.

Thankfully you have something coming back from AAA and I am so sorry you had to go through all that.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Well, I got it all done. Flamingo, I didn't know this but down here there isn't a deductible for broken windows either. It cost me $192 for the window and $277 for the new ignition.

And I'm very embarrassed to tell you this, but I also dug into my condo storage space and dusted off my ancient club. It's on the steering wheel again. I used the club religiously when I drove an older Toyota, since those cars were and are still hot with thieves. I didn't think anyone would be interested in a newer Saturn. Well, clearly I thought wrong.

Live and learn... it never ends.

But thanks for listening!
        BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Man, that sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you. Pleh!
          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X