X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• banca rotta
    replied
    Originally posted by DanielTodaro View Post
    Anyone who buys groceries or eating in a restaurant knows that food prices have increased, but few people truly understand the global factors that are causing the current situation.
    And for those that don't know I will give you a hint.

<<--Just look at my Avatar....

Leave a comment:

• DanielTodaro
    replied
    Anyone who buys groceries or eating in a restaurant knows that food prices have increased, but few people truly understand the global factors that are causing the current situation.

Leave a comment:

• BKOnce
    replied
    Good (motivation to buy less), and we need to eat LESS to avoid *diabetes*, reduce *cholesterol*, and fight *obesity*, and food waste consumption anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Abbie64
    replied
    i have noticed on a few occasions that prices have done up but sizes have over time been getting smaller.

Leave a comment:

• FLBK7
    replied
    Originally posted by buttercup View Post
    Huge pet peeve of mine...

Used to, three or so years ago, you could get a 32 oz. jar of Hellman's mayo for 2.99.

Now Hellman's has decreased the jar size to 28 oz, and the price is up to 3.99.

Any other southerners here know that it's impossible to live in the south without a steady supply of Hellman's, for deviled eggs, potato salad, and such. Hellman's is a STAPLE food, by gosh.

Well, I've had to give up the Hellman's and I've started buying Walmart brand mayo. It's not Hellman's, but I can no longer afford to buy Hellman's.

Anyway, that's my food pet peeve. Decreasing packaging of foods and raising the prices.
    I first noticed this trend with Dannon yogurt. From one day to another the containers went from 8 oz to 6 oz -- for the same price.

And even store brands have tried to trick us as well. For example, several years ago I stopped buying Glad/Hefty kitchen trash bags when they got too expensive and switched to my supermarket's brand. I was surprised because the supermarket brand was actually pretty good quality and MUCH cheaper. Well, within the past year I noticed that the quality of the supermarket brand has gone down the toilet and the price has remained steady. They have become so flimsy that they really are not worth buying anymore!

Leave a comment:

• buttercup
    replied
    Huge pet peeve of mine...

Used to, three or so years ago, you could get a 32 oz. jar of Hellman's mayo for 2.99.

Now Hellman's has decreased the jar size to 28 oz, and the price is up to 3.99.

Any other southerners here know that it's impossible to live in the south without a steady supply of Hellman's, for deviled eggs, potato salad, and such. Hellman's is a STAPLE food, by gosh.

Well, I've had to give up the Hellman's and I've started buying Walmart brand mayo. It's not Hellman's, but I can no longer afford to buy Hellman's.

Anyway, that's my food pet peeve. Decreasing packaging of foods and raising the prices.

Leave a comment:

• momisery
    replied
    Yep, that is the one. It is interesting to note that both SC and my area are under the median income too. I would love 2.14... I was shocked at the high grocery prices in this area! I lived in Columbia for a few years and back then most employers had BCBS like we do and both towns are about the same size. Our healthcare is costly here too, like SC was. YOu would think areas with lower incomes should cost less, but the only thing cheaper here was housing, and that is changing now. Prices are cheaper in relationship to wages in lots of areas that have better jobs. This could cause a lot of people to move out which will not help these areas at all. I wonder why things are so different? One would think our doctors and hospitals would be cheaper, but they are not.

Leave a comment:

• Blueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by momisery View Post
    To continue with Food prices. 80/20 Hamburger meat 4.99 a pound on sale. T-bone 7.99 a pound on sale this week. Tomatoes the cheapest were cherry and they were 2.29 for a little pint. I can also toss out the sausauge egg sandwich at McD's here is 3.90 with tax only the sandwich, I did find one in springfield that is 3.45 with tax.
    Are you talking about the sausage and egg biscuit?

I picked up two yesterday morning for $2.14 including tax! It's crazy how the cost differs from region to region. I'm in SC.

Leave a comment:

• momisery
    replied
    To continue with Food prices. 80/20 Hamburger meat 4.99 a pound on sale. T-bone 7.99 a pound on sale this week. Tomatoes the cheapest were cherry and they were 2.29 for a little pint. I can also toss out the sausauge egg sandwich at McD's here is 3.90 with tax only the sandwich, I did find one in springfield that is 3.45 with tax.

Leave a comment:

• momisery
    replied
    Yes, if we ever buy a car again it will be new. But the prices.. oh my, the prices even on used.. wow! Mine is paid for so I will keep the cheap little thing. lol

Leave a comment:

• nc73
    replied
    i can understand the fascination with new cars but why buy new when you can buy used? it's cheaper to fix most used cars than it is to pay a monthly payment. as for buying american, won't happen. american made products are just too expensive for us mere mortals.

Leave a comment:

• Blueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
    I have found true joy in lentil soup. I add in fresh garlic, purple onion, cummin, shredded cheddar cheese & some sour cream & I'm not only healthy but full for two days @ 2.39/can. However, now with all the packaging problems re: what they're finding in metal cans, I might have to make the soup from scratch, probably cheaper anyhow. It's low calorie & full of protein.
    I'm sure it would be much better also!

Leave a comment:

• AMISLANDER
    replied
    I have found true joy in lentil soup. I add in fresh garlic, purple onion, cummin, shredded cheddar cheese & some sour cream & I'm not only healthy but full for two days @ 2.39/can. However, now with all the packaging problems re: what they're finding in metal cans, I might have to make the soup from scratch, probably cheaper anyhow. It's low calorie & full of protein.

Leave a comment:

• momisery
    replied
    Learn to live without food.. hmmm sounds like a message from our lobby paid off elected by the best money anyone can bribe government people. lol

Leave a comment:

• BigJohn
    replied
    Bought a pork roast today. $.79 a pound!

Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X