Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• layla17
    replied
    CVS is much cheaper and has more product variety in my opinion too. I have a Walgreens and an Eckerd in my town but I always go to CVS anymore because I just can't afford to pay a little more for everything in their stores, as it tends to add up to lost money as you all know.

Leave a comment:

• FLBK7
    replied
    Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
    How much are you folks spending these days and what is the quality of your diet? We were spending $600.00 bi-weekly several years ago and eating well. That was for five. Today I basically shop for two (explain later) and am spending about 300-400 bi-weekly to eat well. That 600 was feeding three all consuming teens. Unreal how things have risen. We do specials like crazy. Pasta night is now two nights per week (whole wheat pasta).

Most of my buys are either Publix or Winn Dixie "Superbrand" and not name items. Publix name brand is always high quality but lower priced. Winn Dixie give really big breaks with their card and you also get get a coupon for $10.00 off $75 or more if you return no sooner than three and no later than eight days later. My CVS has paid off hugely in extra bucks and typically i get one free gallon of MacArthur Milk per week.
    I'm in South Florida as well and we're spending about $325-$350 biweekly for good and relatively healthy food. We eat fresh salads every day, and whatever fresh fruits/veggies are in season and therefore on sale. I shop at Publix (Publix brand whenever possible) for everything but excluding chicken, beef, fish and pork. I buy the latter at one of several Latin supermarkets in my area and always get amazing deals and personal service from the butchers. My deep freezer is very well stocked with their specials. Every 3 weeks or so, Sedano's Supermarket has fresh boneless and skinless chicken breasts for $.99/lb. Can't beat that!

I've never felt comfortable with Winn Dixie's card system. I'd rather just know outright how much I'm paying for what, rather than having to read on the label that it costs $10 but with the card, it costs $6, blah, blah, blah. I know many people who love Winn Dixie so I'm sure it's just a quirk of mine. Also, I find that the Publix store brand is far superior to Winn Dixie's Superbrand. Again, I'm sure it's just personal preference.

I dumped Walgreens 3 weeks ago after 30-odd years (!!!!!) and am now with CVS. I think CVS (our old Eckerd's... remember, Robivi?) is far superior as to savings, product variety, and customer service.

Leave a comment:

• robivi3
    replied
    How much are you folks spending these days and what is the quality of your diet? We were spending $600.00 bi-weekly several years ago and eating well. That was for five. Today I basically shop for two (explain later) and am spending about 300-400 bi-weekly to eat well. That 600 was feeding three all consuming teens. Unreal how things have risen. We do specials like crazy. Pasta night is now two nights per week (whole wheat pasta).

Most of my buys are either Publix or Winn Dixie "Superbrand" and not name items. Publix name brand is always high quality but lower priced. Winn Dixie give really big breaks with their card and you also get get a coupon for $10.00 off $75 or more if you return no sooner than three and no later than eight days later. My CVS has paid off hugely in extra bucks and typically i get one free gallon of MacArthur Milk per week.
    Last edited by robivi3; 08-22-2008, 05:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Frogge
    replied
    Originally posted by arkienurse View Post
    Yup, that is what the end caps are there for. Most people see it on the end and think, "Wow, it is on sale, what a bargain" never realizing they have been had.
    I will also add that mustard is one of those generic-will-do purchases, IMO. (Just like most condiments, but unlike paper towels and, say, dishwashing liquid. )

Leave a comment:

• arkienurse
    replied
    Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
    My advice is to watch the marketing ploys in your local food stores.

I went into our neighborhood market for a few things, one of which was mustard. So I'm in the store doing my rounds and I pass by this 'end-of-the-aisle' or 'end-cap' to the aisle of a display of mustard bottles from some new off-the-wall company I had never heard of, and all the sales promotionals were screaming: 'Special: $1.23', yada, yada.
    I went around to the regular spot on the shelving where mustard usually resides, and yes, this new mustard was there, but French's sold at $1.99. The regular 'house' mustard was $0.85. All of these are the same size. So just be aware......
    Yup, that is what the end caps are there for. Most people see it on the end and think, "Wow, it is on sale, what a bargain" never realizing they have been had.

Leave a comment:

• AngelinaCat
    replied
    My advice is to watch the marketing ploys in your local food stores.

I went into our neighborhood market for a few things, one of which was mustard. So I'm in the store doing my rounds and I pass by this 'end-of-the-aisle' or 'end-cap' to the aisle of a display of mustard bottles from some new off-the-wall company I had never heard of, and all the sales promotionals were screaming: 'Special: $1.23', yada, yada.
    I went around to the regular spot on the shelving where mustard usually resides, and yes, this new mustard was there, but French's sold at $1.99. The regular 'house' mustard was $0.85. All of these are the same size. So just be aware......

Leave a comment:

• HRx
    replied
    Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
    Just bought a ream of Inkjet paper for the first time in say eight months at Office Depot, $7.98 for the cheap one (their brand), WOW!!!!!!
    They say that certain retail goods such as electronics, home furnishings, automobile, have/will be experiencing price drops to instigate sales because of record breaking slow sales all last year and this year.

Leave a comment:

• robivi3
    replied
    Just bought a ream of Inkjet paper for the first time in say eight months at Office Depot, $7.98 for the cheap one (their brand), WOW!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• BKOnce
    replied
    After the mid-west flood recovery over... we will see more price increases!

Leave a comment:

• HRx
    replied
    Food prices are definately increasing like crazy! $100-$200 doesn't buy much nowadays!! Especially in Ma., where we've always have higher food prices compared to other states.

Leave a comment:

• lillaimof2kids
    replied
    A couple weeks ago, I bought 4 green peppers for $7.50!!! Freaking ridiculous! I want a greenhouse so I can grow my veg. all year long.

Leave a comment:

• my4devils
    replied
    SO I am paying amost 1 dollar more for a gallon of milk in Pa. I wonder why in the world it is so expensive here?? There are like a bizillion dairy farms around too. Thanks for the Aldi's tip- I am going to check that out!

Leave a comment:

• Cali
    replied
    I normally don't look at the prices when I go buy groceries, but today I reminded myself to look so I could report back here.

I spent 200$ today. And this is on base.

1 gallon of 2% milk was 2.71$
    Strawberries was 2.62$
    Chicken thigh cutlets 1 was 2.89$ and the other one was 2.74$
    chicken breasts 1 was 4.58$ and the other one was 4.68$

The rest of the stuff was shampoo, bottled water, veggies, and other things the kids wanted to eat while at home.

Leave a comment:

• FLBK7
    replied
    I've been taking advantages of sales and especially BOGOF items that we know for a fact we will use. My pantry is currently well stocked, and I'm very careful about rotating food so that we use everything before the expiration date.

However, my greatest savings tool is my small, condo-sized freezer. A major Spanish supermarket chain had boneless and skinless chicken breasts at $.99/lb two weeks ago and I bought 5 packages with about 3-4 lbs. in each. It's going to be a long time before we need chicken breasts again. Also, I bought 2 big sirloin tip roasts on sale at $2.19/lb this past weekend. I also have some ground beef, pork chops and fish and shrimp in the freezer, but I didn't buy them within the past 2 weeks so I can't remember how much they cost. They were all bought on sale though. And like with the pantry, I label everything and make sure to use it within the recommended time period. By the way, I also have a vacuum sealer, so my food freezes with no freezer burn.

This is the only way I know that will help control the rising food prices in our family. We also use frozen veggies unless the veggy in question is in season and therefore on sale. And as for fruits, well, we've been treating ourselves to cherries because we love them and because the season is so short, but gee, cherries (on sale) are $3.29/lb. Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• momof5
    replied
    If you have an ALDI'S in your area.. They have some phenominal prices! I just got milk yesterday for $2.69 a gallon (skim). I cannot for the life of me figure out why I havent been there before.

Oh yeah... they dont take credit cards!!! only debit with pin or cash

Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X