No announcement yet.

Rising food prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit I used to just pick things up and run to the register without really thinking about prices. Last night, I was buying laundry detergent and when I saw $21.00 for a bottle of Tide at Wal-Mart...I almost passed out! We spend about 200 per week and that's just eating..nothing great, very little organic, basic meat like chicken and stew beef.

On a brighter note, I have become more creative with my meals. I guess there's a reason my grandmother always seemed to know how to make a little last a long while.

Comment

I have noticed increases in things I only buy every month or two. The stylin' Suave hair gel I use was $1.99 and went up to $2.27 at the same store. I buy Purina One for my dog, and a 20lb bag was around $15 and the last time I bought it, it was just over $18, on sale for $17.99.
      We have Meijer here and you can't beat their sale prices and still get quality, name brand items. We have Aldi and Save-A-Lot, too, but if I'm careful, I can get the same or better deals at Meijer. For example, my roommate got a pound of low grade mystery burger from Save-A-Lot for $2.99 and the same week I got a pound of Angus ground chuck for $2.99.
      I buy very little that isn't on sale or I don't have a coupon for, by the way. My biggest vice....beer...but I still try to buy it on sale.
      I use the dollar store for kitchen trash bags, toilet cleaner, etc, and even found Speed Stick, Softsoap hand soap, and some decent body wash there. I love the dollar store...just not so sure about their food.
      Filed Chapter 7 4/29/08
      341 Survived 5/27/08
      Discharged 8/19/08
      Case Closed 9/08/08

Comment

We watch the meat sales at the local grocery stores and then buy every thing else at savalot or aldis (can goods etc.etc). Also I resist any impulse buys, if it's not on the list I dont buy it! Some say i'm cheap but i'm sure theres worse things to be lol

Comment

I remember the Aldi's in Iowa and the one I saw in MO was in Wst Plains, but here in WA they're not around. But I watch things, strange, I like creamer in my coffee, two weeks ago, got 3 jugs for $2.51 ea. Today I hit same store and it's $3.28 Ouch, got 2 instead.

2 weeks ago got $91.84 in groceries. Sis gave $50 grocery card. I looked at the back of it and it says (I was REALLY surprised at this) that tobacco and liquor purchases CANNOT be used on the card.

FAR OUT I always wondered if I ever gave one of those cards, would the receipent follow the promise to not drink or such? Now I know that unless THEY have cash, they cannot use the card for such.

I bought some things which was good and of course, my not desperate need but heavily desired long hobos for $3.48 ea. Phooey on Subway! Always peanut butter and have bought my second bag of rice (20 lbs) for $14.45 which is about the same when I bought it 3 months ago..Yeah, I like rice too!

Using that extra virgin olive oil is spendy, but use little so it works out. I'm looking at meat more this next weekend and mix with rice and maybe some soy/barbque sauce for flavoring.

Regarding "End Caps" I saw those double salt or salt and pepper shakers packaged..$1.29 ea..Walked down and got big container of Mortons for $0.89...I just use small jar and take to work for salting food if needed.

Comment

My meat tip:

At my grocery store they will often have round steak or chuck roast on sale for a really good price. I have the butcher grind it (my store doesn't charge) and then have them package in 1 to 1.5 lb. packages. Ground beef might be $2.99, but round steak on-sale for $1.99. Save the $1.00 per pound. Tacos taste so much better with ground round steak instead of plain ole hamburger meat.
            Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
            341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
            Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

My local Hispanic supermarket is again having skinless and boneless chicken breasts for $.99/lb. (yes, that's 99 cents -- no typo!) beginning this Thursday. I'm stocking up as I normally do. I still have 2 packs left from their last 99-cent sale. In my condo-sized deep freezer, which is the best money-saving investment I ever made.

The chicken is as fresh, clean and tasty as what you buy at the regular/expensive supermarket here (Publix). The only difference is that the breasts are not always cut as neatly or as symmetrically. This is not a problem for me because I don't mind trimming and/or thinning the breasts just before cooking, and I use the odds and ends for chicken salad or stir fry.
              BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

A lot of my cc debt came from food expenses, we were using our them for groceries all the time, big mistake because you feel inclined to buy things by impulse. It's been cash only but sad to say too late to reverse the damage.

You just learn to do without things and ween yourself off to get by.

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
                  My local Hispanic supermarket is again having skinless and boneless chicken breasts for $.99/lb. (yes, that's 99 cents -- no typo!) beginning this Thursday. I'm stocking up as I normally do. I still have 2 packs left from their last 99-cent sale. In my condo-sized deep freezer, which is the best money-saving investment I ever made.

The chicken is as fresh, clean and tasty as what you buy at the regular/expensive supermarket here (Publix). The only difference is that the breasts are not always cut as neatly or as symmetrically. This is not a problem for me because I don't mind trimming and/or thinning the breasts just before cooking, and I use the odds and ends for chicken salad or stir fry.
                  Okay, I've thought about stocking up when the chicken breast goes on sale at our local market (cheapest $1.99/lb), but when I freeze it, it never comes out right. Do you have any tips of freezing chicken? Thanks!
                  May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                  May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                  May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                  9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                    Okay, I've thought about stocking up when the chicken breast goes on sale at our local market (cheapest $1.99/lb), but when I freeze it, it never comes out right. Do you have any tips of freezing chicken? Thanks!
                    The secret to freezing anything is to try and keep as much air out as possible. I happen to have a Foodsaver that I got on sale for less than $50, but I generally use it only for HUGE quantities of meat which needs to be frozen in smaller quantities. Example: Ten pounds of ground round at $1.49, which I then divide into smaller quantities for freezing.

When I buy my chicken breasts on sale, I always ask the butcher to TRIPLE wrap each package (approximately 1.5-2 lb each). I then just stick the packs in the freezer and they keep quite well in their supermarket triple wrapping. When they are thawed and cooked we can't tell that they've been frozen.

What exactly do you mean when you say "it never comes out right"?
                    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
                      What exactly do you mean when you say "it never comes out right"?
                      Sorry, wrong choice of words, I meant to say that I can never freeze meats right. They always come out freezer burned or icy. Thanks for the info. I will look around for an affordable foodsave (I've only seen the big ones that go for over $100), but I know that Ziploc also has a little hand held gadget that supposely works well. I'll look into it. Thanks again!
                      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                        Sorry, wrong choice of words, I meant to say that I can never freeze meats right. They always come out freezer burned or icy. Thanks for the info. I will look around for an affordable foodsave (I've only seen the big ones that go for over $100), but I know that Ziploc also has a little hand held gadget that supposely works well. I'll look into it. Thanks again!
                        Yes, freezer burn is caused by air inside the package. I haven't tried the new Ziploc vacuum seal bags, but my neighbor says they're wonderful! Let me know how that works for you if you try it.

Comment

it won't be long before we find other things that can be turned to food. I detest to face the day that things I considered to be part of earth are considered.. food.

Comment

With the situation we're in I think we should resort to growing our own vegetables at our backyard. :lol:

Comment

You know what cracked me up speaking of food prices? When I had to do the pre-BK counseling. I spend 100.00 a week which I think is cheap a week for 2 people and 2 cats! She said I needed to cut my food budget by 75%! Then she proceeded to say that I should buy in bulk............
                              I said "well you have to have MONEY to buy in bulk don't you?"
                              She laughed and had to admit she was just doing her job........Honestly I said to her what do you think I should do go buy 100 boxes of mac and cheese a week and eat that?

Comment

Rising food price threatens us

Nowadays, rising food prices threatens us. According to world bank the food have 83 percent in the last three years and will continue to rise. I read one article on newyork Times, It says even the poorest household in U.S spend only 16 percent of their income on food. If this continue people should learn to live without food.
                                Watch This Free Video On How To Boost Your Credit

Score 50-100 Points In 40 Days

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X