Rising food prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rising food prices

hi i feel strongly about it and and i take pleasure in learning about this topic..
    [Advertising link removed by moderator. Not allowed per forum rules.]

Comment

I guess you guys should some time come and visit India ! Then you will be so much happy with the prices you have got on all the stuff in your countries

Comment

The latest I've heard is that wholesale prices for food have spiked up to record levels, and the grocery stores will have no choice but to raise prices over the next 6 months to the highest levels ever. I've heard that they will start raising prices on the non-essentials first, but eventually even the basics will be going up in price, with brief periods of what they call "loss leader" sales to lure people into the stores.

So, stock up on basics now, freeze what you can, especially if you have the new vaccuum sealer bags, and get ready to make use of those food ads and coupons, and only get what's on sale.
        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

God help us but the capitalists will literally squeeze us to death - (speculation in commodity futures).

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
          The latest I've heard is that wholesale prices for food have spiked up to record levels, and the grocery stores will have no choice but to raise prices over the next 6 months to the highest levels ever. I've heard that they will start raising prices on the non-essentials first, but eventually even the basics will be going up in price, with brief periods of what they call "loss leader" sales to lure people into the stores.

So, stock up on basics now, freeze what you can, especially if you have the new vaccuum sealer bags, and get ready to make use of those food ads and coupons, and only get what's on sale.

Comment

Last week on the news it was reported that because of the draught in IA. corn prices went from $4 to $8 a barrel, & it is projected that food prices will rise double to triple by the end of the year.
            Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

Yes Sammie I hear the same thing and ranchers are not raising to many heads of cattle either so beef will go through the roof. My hubby laughed when I got a second freezer years ago I'm glad I did cause anytime I see anything a really good price I stock up. This week it was pork sirloin cutlets for 1.99 a pound last week ground beef 1.99 a pound guess went into the second freezer.

Pam

Comment

Now is the best time EVER to invest in a seal-a-meal and/or a freezer! Triple of current food prices is super scary.
                ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
                  Now is the best time EVER to invest in a seal-a-meal and/or a freezer! Triple of current food prices is super scary.
                  OH yes we got one a couple of years ago (seal-a meal) and love it!

Comment

Pam do you mind telling me the name of the store you bought your pork cutlets from? I have been looking around here for months & see $3.99 lb.

I bought a Food Saver a few yrs. ago & it was fantastic, until the seal brook a few months ago and now the darn thing won't seal & i don't have another $200 right now to go out and buy another one.

My problem right now is that we are just starting our BK process & I can't afford to "stock" up the freezer in the garage. Our Harris Teeter store has Angus Rib Eyes on sale this week for $7.99 lb & I would love to take advantage of the sale but this will have to wait until we make up our budget. Our Aldi's is just a dirty store & we don't shop there.

I would be curious to know what an adult family of 2 spends on food a week. We rarely go out to eat & I cook everything from scratch & still our weekly bill is around $150. It doesn't help when you have been having outrageous Vet bills the last 6 mos. & we spend $30 a month just on Greek Yogurt for her stomach.

Last night I had 2 breaded, boneless chicken breasts left over, so I cut them up, added 1 pk. onion soup, h/m beef broth, frozen peas, cubed potato, sour cream, 1 T mayo, American cheese & Ham. Baked for 45 mins. & served over noodles. This was not one of the healthiest meals but I had to use these things up. I do not waste food.

Any tips would be wonderful. I wish they had coupons for meat etc. & since there aren't any, I don't use coupons. Thanks. sammie
                    Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

I'm hearing that in the short term beef, chicken & pork will all fall in price. The reason for this is farmers will now have to kill their live stock due to there not being enough feed. The markets will have an abundance of meat on their shelves for this reason.

Once this surplus has been depleted however you will see prices skyrocket to the likes of which we have never seen. Probably well into next year.

A larger freezer probably won't be such a bad idea now.
                      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                        God help us but the capitalists will literally squeeze us to death - (speculation in commodity futures).

We need the markets to determine the costs of everything there is.

Without the markets determining the costs of everything we will have shortages. If a "do gooder" passes legislation to cap prices for food, water, gas, oil, etc. and it's too cheap then we will deplete the resource faster then we otherwise would.

If it's too expensive then we humans will create a solution to the problems as we have since the days of the caves.

Our current depression is being prolonged because of all of the manipulations.
                        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie View Post
                          Pam do you mind telling me the name of the store you bought your pork cutlets from? I have been looking around here for months & see $3.99 lb.

I bought a Food Saver a few yrs. ago & it was fantastic, until the seal brook a few months ago and now the darn thing won't seal & i don't have another $200 right now to go out and buy another one.

My problem right now is that we are just starting our BK process & I can't afford to "stock" up the freezer in the garage. Our Harris Teeter store has Angus Rib Eyes on sale this week for $7.99 lb & I would love to take advantage of the sale but this will have to wait until we make up our budget. Our Aldi's is just a dirty store & we don't shop there.

I would be curious to know what an adult family of 2 spends on food a week. We rarely go out to eat & I cook everything from scratch & still our weekly bill is around $150. It doesn't help when you have been having outrageous Vet bills the last 6 mos. & we spend $30 a month just on Greek Yogurt for her stomach.

Last night I had 2 breaded, boneless chicken breasts left over, so I cut them up, added 1 pk. onion soup, h/m beef broth, frozen peas, cubed potato, sour cream, 1 T mayo, American cheese & Ham. Baked for 45 mins. & served over noodles. This was not one of the healthiest meals but I had to use these things up. I do not waste food.

Any tips would be wonderful. I wish they had coupons for meat etc. & since there aren't any, I don't use coupons. Thanks. sammie
                          It's a local chain here in Central Pa called Giants. I do use coupons and I also shop outlet grocery stores things that I find at Wal-Mart like Johnsonville sausage patties for 9.99 I can find there for 3.99. I also love right after Christmas there oreo's cookies are 99 cent due to them being green or red icing. I do anything to save money on food it is so expensive. Pam

Comment

I also stock up on meat when I see a good deal. Our local small store had boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.29/lb last week. I bought 40 lbs of it and froze 3 breasts per freezer bag. I also found ground sirloin that was reduced for quick sale about a month ago -- the sell-by date was that day or the next. I don't remember what the cost was, but I bought 10 packages of it. Having a second freezer is a fantastic way to keep your food budget down. I shop the same way for everything else too -- if I find food I know we will use on clearance for a great price, I'll buy a lot of it. As long as the expiration date is far enough out that I know we will use it before it expires.

Comment

Originally posted by AbbeyA View Post
                              I also stock up on meat when I see a good deal. Our local small store had boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.29/lb last week. I bought 40 lbs of it and froze 3 breasts per freezer bag. I also found ground sirloin that was reduced for quick sale about a month ago -- the sell-by date was that day or the next. I don't remember what the cost was, but I bought 10 packages of it. Having a second freezer is a fantastic way to keep your food budget down. I shop the same way for everything else too -- if I find food I know we will use on clearance for a great price, I'll buy a lot of it. As long as the expiration date is far enough out that I know we will use it before it expires.
                              Wow that's a great price for chicken breast haven't seen that around here and if I did I be buying 40 pounds also.

Comment

We have a local food store chain that I am noticing more and more is completing with the various Dollar stores, in that they are adding more and more shelving space for items priced at $1.00.

This store will offer from time to time, 15 lb. bags of chicken hind quarters for $6.00. I bought one not too long ago and 'Hub and I processed and canned those legs and thighs. We got six or seven pint jars of chicken.
                                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X