Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pamkev
    replied
    Yes Sammie I hear the same thing and ranchers are not raising to many heads of cattle either so beef will go through the roof. My hubby laughed when I got a second freezer years ago I'm glad I did cause anytime I see anything a really good price I stock up. This week it was pork sirloin cutlets for 1.99 a pound last week ground beef 1.99 a pound guess went into the second freezer.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Sammie
    replied
    Last week on the news it was reported that because of the draught in IA. corn prices went from $4 to $8 a barrel, & it is projected that food prices will rise double to triple by the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• IamOld
    replied
    God help us but the capitalists will literally squeeze us to death - (speculation in commodity futures).

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
    The latest I've heard is that wholesale prices for food have spiked up to record levels, and the grocery stores will have no choice but to raise prices over the next 6 months to the highest levels ever. I've heard that they will start raising prices on the non-essentials first, but eventually even the basics will be going up in price, with brief periods of what they call "loss leader" sales to lure people into the stores.

So, stock up on basics now, freeze what you can, especially if you have the new vaccuum sealer bags, and get ready to make use of those food ads and coupons, and only get what's on sale.

Leave a comment:

• GoingDown
    replied
    The latest I've heard is that wholesale prices for food have spiked up to record levels, and the grocery stores will have no choice but to raise prices over the next 6 months to the highest levels ever. I've heard that they will start raising prices on the non-essentials first, but eventually even the basics will be going up in price, with brief periods of what they call "loss leader" sales to lure people into the stores.

So, stock up on basics now, freeze what you can, especially if you have the new vaccuum sealer bags, and get ready to make use of those food ads and coupons, and only get what's on sale.

Leave a comment:

• reddy2011
    replied
    I guess you guys should some time come and visit India ! Then you will be so much happy with the prices you have got on all the stuff in your countries

Leave a comment:

• radio123
    replied
    Rising food prices

hi i feel strongly about it and and i take pleasure in learning about this topic..

Leave a comment:

• IamOld
    replied
    "Organic"=overpriced.

I've yet to drop less than $170/week (two teens plus 2 adults). I tried ALDI's once, but no one at home would eat their stuff...

I'm amazed that in this land of supposed plenty, good fresh food is the most expensive.

I remember when I was growing up, the rule of thumb was, one grocery bag=$10. Today, one grocery bag equal's your life savings (ok which in my instance is exactly zero :-)

Leave a comment:

• PELRDL
    replied
    Agreed. That's why I'm not a fan of anything organic!

Originally posted by FairyPoor View Post
    We have many roadside stands here in GA. Also Farmers Markets. Many times they seem cheaper but the vegetables and fruits rot so quickly, that unless you use the items that day, it's not worth it and you actually end up wasting money as opposed to saving it.

Leave a comment:

• FairyPoor
    replied
    We have many roadside stands here in GA. Also Farmers Markets. Many times they seem cheaper but the vegetables and fruits rot so quickly, that unless you use the items that day, it's not worth it and you actually end up wasting money as opposed to saving it.

Leave a comment:

• PELRDL
    replied
    I agree with you on the ethnic market suggestion. I hate cheap (read: poor quality food), so I, like many of my neighbors in the affluent California area in which I live, schlep six miles to a nearby Armenian market. The produce/meat are beautiful and reasonably-priced. I also have gotten into the habit of weighing our food portions. That way, we don't get fat by over-consuming food, and very little goes to waste. We are a family of four, and our apartment-sized refrigerator is always half-empty. Additionally, our kids have begged us to stop paying for hot lunch at their schools. I take them to Costco, and they choose what they want for lunch. By shopping at the Armenian market and dropping hot lunch, we've seen our food bill drop by half, and we're now down to $100 per week.

Originally posted by APL View Post
    People will groan at this suggestion, because their food is pure garbage - but if you're having a tight week/month/whatever - Aldi does sell packaged processed food super cheap. Their macaroni and cheese is only $.39, a bag of corn or potato chips is $.1.39, canned veggies are about $.50.

Their fresh produce prices are not competitive (and aren't very good quality), it seems that the larger Mexican/Hispanic produce markets have the best prices and quality.

Eating healthy really is so expensive.

Leave a comment:

• APL
    replied
    People will groan at this suggestion, because their food is pure garbage - but if you're having a tight week/month/whatever - Aldi does sell packaged processed food super cheap. Their macaroni and cheese is only $.39, a bag of corn or potato chips is $.1.39, canned veggies are about $.50.

Their fresh produce prices are not competitive (and aren't very good quality), it seems that the larger Mexican/Hispanic produce markets have the best prices and quality.

Eating healthy really is so expensive.

Leave a comment:

• divya09
    replied
    rising prices aren't letting a medium gentry person to live peacefully

Leave a comment:

• andy158
    replied
    To fight the high cost of meat we have begun last year buying beef. pork and chicken from a local farmer. The initial cost is a killer because he only accepts cash, but the meat is fabulous. We split the cost with relatives the first year, but this year we are getting a whole beef paid for with our income tax return. The meat is all natural, grain fed, no steroids and extremely lean.
    This meat even looks. smells and tastes totoally different form the doctored up meat you see at the stores. The cost of processing is included in the price and we would pay over 3X the cost if we bought the same quantity and cuts at a grocery store over a years time. Your meats are the greatest part of a food budget. We figured with a family of four, a whole beef lasts a year. We had to purchase another small chest freezer (used of course for $75) to fit all the meat in!

If you are close to any local beef, pork and chicken farmers, it is definately worth looking into.

Leave a comment:

• Hessy3
    replied
    That is scary! Guess I'm glad its beginning to be nicer out now so I can pull out my bicycle to avoid these costs as much as possible! I suggest you all do the same...

Leave a comment:

• dneil
    replied
    I paid 3.20 per gallon at the pump today.... I wanted to cry. Rumor has it that gas is going to go up to 5.00 (yes, FIVE DOLLARS) a gallon. If that happens, we will trade in our cars for scooters..... Makes a person just want to give up. Every time things start to look a little more stable for our family, something changes with the cost of living.... like gas going up.

I plan to plant a big garden this year. I will be learning how to can the items that I can 'can'. I am sick of the prices at the grocery store. I paid 2.50 for a large jar of miracle whip at walmart this past summer. So, since it was so cheap there I made a 20 mile trip to walmart to do my shopping specifically because of the cheaper miracle whip and the fact that they had better deals on Taco seasoning, shells and stuff. Got there (this was in November) and the price was up to 3.99! I asked why when I was checking out and she said because it is cheaper in the summer because people use more of it during that time. What bull crap.
    It sucks to pay so much for something you are just going to 'poo' out anyway..... (not to be gross but it is true). BAH!

Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X