No announcement yet.

How to survive the Great Depression of 2008 - 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Pinoy, I want to send that article to a friend...do you have the link by any chance?

Thanks,
    ep
    California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

see post #5
      “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
        I'm really sorry but you're going to have to explain that one to me. What exactly do they use in the East....

I have been East and don't ever recall a lack of toilet paper. Or perhaps they just had it on hand for us spendy Westerners.

ep
        Not sure about the east, but I was on a survival forum last weekend where they were talking about TP. One lady says she buys flannel and cuts it into 8 inch squares. Her family uses the squares, either wet or dry, and there is a bucket with bakingsoda water beside the toilet. She then washes them in hot water with bleach and detergent. Kinda like you would if you use cloth diapers.
        Seems gross sometimes, but then I look at how much we spend on TP every month, probably 20$ on average and I buy the 20 roll Scott at WM for 15$, then I can see myself doing it, but DH would flip. Heck, I actually used cloth diapers while on maternity leave with the last kido, and thought about the homemade feminine pads but never got around to it. All things we may need to consider as ways to make more money available for food.
        Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
        Plan approved- 7/11/05
        Date discharged--10-12-2007
        Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

I personally hate toilet paper. I used to live in the Far East and what we had by the toilet was a kitchen wash down sprayer. When you lift yourself for toilet paper, instead you use the sprayer.
          Toilet paper is 'so dirty'. No matter how hard you try, it doesn't get everything whereas the water does an excellent job.

We have a store and it isn't just the price of toilet paper that drives us up the wall, it is the occassional plumbing problems that come with it. 2 weeks ago I spent probably 10 hours trying to undue a drain plug. Sometimes I have thought about posting in the bathroom a sign saying "We use recycled toilet paper" or "Please use both sides of the paper".
          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

I personally hate toilet paper. I used to live in the Far East and what we had by the toilet was a kitchen wash down sprayer. When you lift yourself for toilet paper, instead you use the sprayer... the water does an excellent job.
            Well I have to ask. What do you use to dry your butt off? A community towel in a public stall?
            “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
              Well I have to ask. What do you use to dry your butt off? A community towel in a public stall?

Maybe there is a butt heater blower, like one of those things you use to dry your hands & you rub your hands together under the hot air blower, only you rub your butt cheeks together real fast above the hot air blower.

they use if for everything else at the gym so it would work for butt drying

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                I personally hate toilet paper. I used to live in the Far East and what we had by the toilet was a kitchen wash down sprayer. When you lift yourself for toilet paper, instead you use the sprayer.
                Toilet paper is 'so dirty'. No matter how hard you try, it doesn't get everything whereas the water does an excellent job.

We have a store and it isn't just the price of toilet paper that drives us up the wall, it is the occassional plumbing problems that come with it. 2 weeks ago I spent probably 10 hours trying to undue a drain plug. Sometimes I have thought about posting in the bathroom a sign saying "We use recycled toilet paper" or "Please use both sides of the paper".
                it is true toilet paper does not get it all & is very gross....Growing up & as a kid, my parents had this whole system of the proper way to use the toilet paper & the proper way to wipe. I remember as a kid & that was a big deal back then because we were only supposed to use so much at a time & each square was part of the measuring...

My grandpa had no indoor plumbing (many years ago) , so you did your thing in the winter in a pickle bucket & then carried out & dumped it in the outhouse. In the outhouse there was a huge pile of corncobs for wiping. Talk about disgusting.

I need to have one of those little shower/kitchen sprayers installed off the toilet soon.

there is a whole history lesson here about toilet paper. Didn't it start with one of the rich kings in egypt as the first toilet paper ever made?

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  I'm old enough to have "heard" from my parents and grandpa, about the "Great Depression". It was not fun, and people died. Police killed union members. GO to your F'ing library and READ this. Your ten dollar bill you cannot eat, your gold ingot, you cannot eat. But you can trade coffee for some 22 long rifle bullets from a friendly neighbor.

Oh yes. My grandma had some of those stories as well, They use to save the tin foil & the tubes of toothpaste to recycle for the metal, creating these big balls of metal. Toothpaste used to come in metal tubes.

but they were still trading just like the native american indians & she still reaches down for a copper lincoln head to this day. I always felt she would forget a lot of things but the great depression was not one of them...& in reality was not that long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
                    Appleton rum from Jamaica is to die for. But so is Barbancourt from Haiti. Mount Gay from Barbados is quite good too.

Yep, I know my rum. But then again, my daughter worked as a bartender for almost 2 years while going to college, so I learned a lot from her.
                    reminds me of that pirate movie where he had all his rum stashed in a chest on a secluded island, buried in the ground.

I like meyers dark too.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                      Having seeds on hand might help, but knowing how to grow from seed and how to harvest might even be better. If you get seeds, get standards as oppose to hybrids. Study on how to harvest your own seeds. Such crops such as cabbage take considerable amount more time to learn how to harvest than other types of plants.

I will wager a bet that less than half of americans today actually have a clue on how to grow anything from seed these days. You might find about 4% who would know what to do & when to plant,. when to grow & when to harvest, other than a hobby...

Growing a row of corn or a dozen tomatoe plants requires too much work for these kids today & you have to actually go do something & WAIT, away from pushing buttons. They will starve because they wont understand why food does not come immediately after pushing buttons & why the pizza man stopped coming.

Comment

I made a posting earlier today under the General Bankruptcy discussion forum as to the comments my late mother made regarding the Depression and how the housing of the near future will be like the housing of the past due to the massive changes in society and the cost of living and surviving...It's too long to repost but I also included some comments from an article in today's paper about the astronomical coming winter cost of heating oil and natural gas....really interesting article and where that article went...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

When using water instead of toilet paper, we use nothing to dry with. At first I thought this would be a problem, but it wasn't. It is like washing your hands and finding out there are no paper towels. You slip your hands into your pocket and then pull your hands out and then you are on your way.

As for hooking up a sprayer by the toilet, not as easy as you might think. I tried and failed. I could not find fittings that would match up.

Talking about water, in the Far East, the idea of taking a bath is revolting. Why would anybody want to sit in their waste water? And what is even more repulsive is sitting in a bath tub after you just got done using the toilet and used toilet paper. I hope I didn't offend anybody but I used to be a great bath tub lover.
                          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                            reminds me of that pirate movie where he had all his rum stashed in a chest on a secluded island, buried in the ground.

I like meyers dark too.
                            The pinas went all too well....somehow Friday night is now Monday morning!
                            Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                            Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

NBER the supposed source for the above definition of recession, say that definition is not correct. This organization is considered the "go to" source for economic research and information by pretty much every expert in the field.

Here is a quote from their website:

"The NBER does not define a recession in terms of two consecutive quarters of decline in real GDP. Rather, a recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales."

NBER has not declared a recession, but they do say that we are slipping into one. Sometimes, they will declare a recession after the fact since it often isn't apparent until after it happens.
                              Filed 4-21-2008
                              7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Cost of water in poor country is almost FREE ~ from dirty river pumping up with less cost of purification/filtration... so washing is a cheaper option than buying an imported roll for $3.00?? .

But costs of water processing plants in US + cost sewage plants are much higher than costs producing a toilet paper roll, cost of gallon of water is $1-1.5 in stores now and how much is per roll??,.. And how many gallons of H2O do you need to wash your self huh? How many roll you need to clean after?

Conclusion-->> Toilet rolls are still damn CHEAPER than water (here iN USA)!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X