No announcement yet.

How to survive the Great Depression of 2008 - 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the article by Bob Hoffman. I have noticed one thing that doesn't come up through out the threads. Is no one aware of the global economy? Someone in India can do my job at 25% or less of the cost. With that being true, how do you save any money, when you can't make enough to live? I have been trying to get a hold of an attorney for about a week and can't get him to call back. I am absolutely terrified of all the little rules.

As far as a recession goes, define how you calculate the gross domestic product in a service economy? Lots of little games can be played with statistics. All I know is that I haven't been able to find a job even at $10 per hour (I made $15 per hour in 2003) for over 4 years.

Comment

This chart from John Williams' Shadow Statistics site shows the GDP when adjusted for the real inflation rate, instead of the BLS fudged and phony numbers. According to the chart the US has been in a recession since mid 2006, using the two quarters of decline rule.

And the validity of the GDP in an economy that produces only services is also questioned. Ross Perot's new site has this chart (using the govt's GDP data), but it's the comments after the charts that are worth reading.

http://perotcharts.com/category/chal...charts/page/9/

“When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Mark Twain's famous quotation, "Figures don't lie, but liars figure," has never had greater meaning than when it is applied to today's politicians and government accounting.

Eating For Less . . .
        and your good health!
        By Chuck Harder

Chuck also said,

Comment

Finally, Chuck writes:

Comment

What Do You Need to Survive?

by Douglas Herman

Comment

Lehman's is the only business here that I can vouch for, as I haven't ordered from the others. But I am posting these links (now that I have 100 posts and cannot be called a spammer) to help others. I am not being paid by anyone to make these posts. I am not a spammer, tin foil wearing lady, or anything else. I am posting info that I find interesting and I am trying to help others while I try and help myself and loved ones.

Heirloom Seed sites:

GROW A VICTORY GARDEN with HEIRLOOM SEEDS

During WW I and WW II, Americans were encouraged to grow Victory Gardens to help support the war effort. Perhaps now is the time to renew that practice. Previously, people were asked to grow their own produce, so more of the commercially grown produce was available for the relief effort overseas. Those unable to grow their own were forced to use rationing coupons. The new war on terrorism is different from previous wars, and no one is predicting the American public will need to endure food rationing, as previously done the first two world wars. But, America still needs the support of the people, and our economy needs to keep functioning in order to lessen the effects of the war on the home front. By growing your own Victory Garden, you can save money. That money can then be used to help support the war effort, either by donating it to charity or spending it to help our sagging economy. Why not start planting the seeds for tomorrow's future.... plan your Victory Garden today!

To get things started, a $10.00 donation will be made to the
              American Red Cross for every Victory Garden sold!

The VICTORY GARDEN package includes:
              BEANS (6 varieties): Black Turtle, Bush Blue Lake, Commodore, Fordhook Lima, Old Homestead Pole and Pencil Pod Black Wax
              BEETS ( 2 varieties): Chiogga and Early Wonder
              BROCCOLI (1 variety): De Cicco
              BRUSSELS SPROUT (1 variety): Long Island Improved
              CABBAGE (2 varieties): Early Jersey Wakefield and Red Danish
              CARROTS (2 varieties): Amsterdam Minicor and Autumn King
              CAULIFLOWER (1 variety): Early Snowball
              CELERY (1 variety): Golden Self Blanching
              COLLARD (1 variety): Georgia
              CORN ( 1 variety): Golden Bantam
              CUCUMBER (2 varieties): National Pickling and Tendergreen Burpless
              EGGPLANT (1 variety): Black Beauty
              GOURD (1 variety): Ornamental Small Mix
              KALE (1 variety): Dwarf Blue Curled
              KOHLRABI (1 variety): Early White Vienna
              LEEK (1 variety): American Flag
              LETTUCE (5 varieties): Black Seeded Simpson, Buttercrunch, Freckles Romaine, Gourmet Salad Blend, and Mesculin Mix
              MELONS (2 varieties): Jenny Lind and Sweet Passion
              MUSTARD GREENS (1 variety): Southern Giant Curled
              OKRA (1 variety): Clemson Spineless
              ONION, BUNCHING (1 variety): Evergreen White Bunching
              PARSNIP (1 variety): Hollow Crown
              PEPPERS (4 varieties): California Wonder, California Wonder Gold, Jalapeno and Long Red Cayenne
              PEAS (3 varieties): Early Frosty, Mammoth Melting Sugar and Sugar Daddy
              PUMPKINS (1 variety): New England Pie
              RUTABAGA (1 variety): American Purple Top
              RADISH (2 varieties): Easter Egg and Crimson Giant
              SPINACH (2 varieties): Bloomsdale Long Standing and New Zealand
              SQUASH, SUMMER (4 varieties): Dark Green Zucchini, Golden Zucchini, White Patty Pan and Yellow Crookneck
              SQUASH, WINTER (2 varieties): Butternut and Spaghetti
              SWISS CHARD (2 varieties): Lucullus and Ruby Red
              SOUTHERN PEA (1 variety): California Black-Eyed
              TOMATO (6 varieties): Besser, Big Red, Giant Beefsteak, Homestead 24, Pink Brandywine and Roma
              TURNIPS (1 variety): Purple Top White Globe
              WATERMELON (1 varieties): Sugar Baby
              HERBS (10 varieties): Basil, Chives, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Summer Savory and Thyme
              VGS - $95.00 (total of 76 seed packets)
              ($10.00 of this amount will be donated to the American Red Cross!)

VICTORY GARDEN SEALED - Same as above except seed packages are sealed in plastic with a silica gel insert. Can be stored for 3 years.
              VGS2 - $99.99
              ($10.00 of this amount will be donated to the American Red Cross!)

And don't forget Lehman's, suppliers to the Amish and others:

Comment

Gawd: Pinoy, I don’t have time left in life to read what you posted. I shall though. Your theory of self sufficiency and mine are the same. I used to like Chuck Harder when on Cedar Key, then White Springs, but when he got away from real things like buyers guides and economy and went into the men on Mars and the Spirit world, he kinda went off the board. He got himself into some trouble and I believe is starting over in Tampa. I wish him well. I used to subscribe to “Mother Earth News” in the 70’s and had every one of their issues. I wish I had them now, they are worth a mint. Just as the old 50’s Mad Magazines. I shall read your list after I put some eye drops in. Thanx. ‘Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I was looking over the Social Security website and there was a bit of info there which said that Social Security was over 4% of the USA GNP.
                  Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

From Ross Perot's chart site:

“When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Good Graph WhatMoney.

We have to realize that we simply can't afford these government programs, the sooner we understand that and help others to the better for our whole nation. Rather than dependence on the government we should look for help from family, friends and our local communities. Government dependence is what is destroying our communities, because folks grow more distant as the are not dependent on their neighbors.
                      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                        A recession is when your neighbor loses his job.

A depression is when you lose your job.

In that case, I'm in a depression. Not sure about everyone else...
                        <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
                        FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I have read time and time again that gold will not be of value if everything literally goes to pot. Bartering for goods are service generally becomes of most value. I trade my chicken for a few of your vegetables, etc... If people are just trying to survive, gold means nothing.
                          Filed 4-21-2008
                          7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I agree sister. In addition if times get bad make sure you own a gun and ammunition because there are those that will seek to take it from you without paying you for it.
                            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

We are in Southern Arizona. If things get really bad, we are fried.

We get our water by canal from the Colorado River. If something happens during transport, we are fried.

It takes a master gardner to make things grow here.

Hopefully in a week or two I will have an area ready to be used for gardening. Completely different design then what you see in other parts of the country.

As for home security, we have a six foot wall in back. In front, we have link fence. When I get around to it, the link fence will be transformed into a cement block wall.

Along the walls will be barrel cactus for uninvited guest. We also have some plants that grow about 12 feet tall that have some really nasty thorns on them. Combined with the barrel cactus, uninvited guest might end up doing a hop-a-long cassidy dance.

As for cooking, I have one barbeque grill i cook with propane and another grill I am converting over to charcoal.
                              Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                                I agree sister. In addition if times get bad make sure you own a gun and ammunition because there are those that will seek to take it from you without paying you for it.
                                I totally agree with you about people trying to take things for free. Gun and ammo will come in very handy.
                                Filed 4-21-2008
                                7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X