top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charitable Contributions Question For All

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • justbroke
    replied
    I give to a charitable organization which is part of my brother's church. In my BK, I've actually reduced the amount given to the organization by about $1,200 a year. However, I feel it an obligation, just like any other.

    Most religious organizations have a 10% tithing (donation) minimum. I'm giving less than 4% (before and during my BK).

    Leave a comment:


  • joab
    replied
    Many people feel it's important to donate money as a matter of religious principle. The BK code allows for this by letting people donate up to 15% of their income, no questions asked.

    The reality is most people in straitened circumstances don't donate enough money to charity/religious organizations to make any real difference to their creditors.

    Leave a comment:


  • AngelinaCat
    replied
    Hi ep:

    I have a very similar opinion to yours. I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say. Almost every Saturday when I go to the store, I have to run a gauntlet that is begging for every cause ranging from school activity fundraisers, to disabled citizens, retired guide dogs, and the like.

    Some causes I might like to help, and did in the past, but not right now, when if the dollar I give to some charity might mean that I can't buy to food to feed us tonight because I am a dollar short.

    Leave a comment:


  • epiphany
    started a topic Charitable Contributions Question For All

    Charitable Contributions Question For All

    Okay, I must admit that I am puzzled every time I see a charitable contribution or tithing (I think I spelled that right) question on this forum. Usually the author is asking if it is an allowable expense.

    What I don't understand, don't get at all, is how anyone who cannot pay the bills and is having a hard time with daily living expenses justifies (to one's own self--not talking about justifying the expense for BK) making any charitable contributions to anyone at all.

    In my town, I am asked for money from the homeless (and sometimes those only pretending to be) almost every day. I don't and can't give. That is not to say I have NEVER (I occasionally have given them food/water but never money) but for the most part NO. I need to come up with my own basics and rent and it's tough.

    For those of you who give on a regular basis but still can't pay your bills....why do you do it? Is it a duty? Is it ingrained? Please, I am not trying to insult anyone, I am just trying to understand.

    Call me ignorant or selfish, but I just don't get it.

    ep

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X