top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a vent about trying to sell my car!! ARGH!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a vent about trying to sell my car!! ARGH!!

Why is it so hard to sell my car?!??

I have a 2003 Cadillac Escalade, THAT'S WHY!!

My husband and I found *the* perfect van for me. The dealership that has the van won't take my Escalade in on trade...It's in some rinky dink, po-dunk town and there's no market for it.

So, I've been trying to sell this Escalade outright for weeks....I keep getting calls, with offers for $10K. Why is $10K *the* magic #?

There's room in the van to roll some negative equity in it...I have the financing....so, why can't I sell this darn thing??

So frustrated right now....I'm wondering if I should put it up on autotrader or some other site like that....

Thanks for letting me vent!
    Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
    341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
    Last day for objections: 7-14-08
    Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Try craigslist too.

Comment

What about Carmax? I think that's what it is called. I think they will outright buy cars.

Comment

Just laughs... offering less than 5 figures ($10,000) for a 2003 Escolade, would be a smack in the face. They're at least trying to say it was a five figure offer.

(The vehicle can get offers from $7K to about $17K. $10K seems "in the middle" so, that's why you're seeing that.)
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilltheone View Post
          Why is it so hard to sell my car?!??

There's room in the van to roll some negative equity in it...I have the financing....so, why can't I sell this darn thing??

Thanks for letting me vent!
          Here's the answer as you probably know:

Sorry you are having trouble I have a 4X4 too and KBB just dropped it's value by a few K$ in the last 6 months. I don't care since I plan on keeping it and running it into the ground and my next car will be used paid for with cash.

Good luck!
          The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

I have a 4Runner SRV (2000), being that I fought hard to keep it during bk (should have let the trustee keep it & get rid of it, as in hindsight)....and it's paid for....changing vehicles at the moment doesn't make sense. I do get 20 mpg/city and about 28 hwy...I'm not giving the b*tch up...I could live in it if I lost my job and the roof over my head...then it would become very very valuable...just like those people who live in parking lots in their vehicles out in CA.....ya never know the way things are today....with a gym membership that has showering facilities...think of the possibilities..
            Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
            Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

AIMSLANDER--

We also fought hard to keep the Escalade during the bankruptcy. At the time, it was valued at $24K and we actually had to exempt equity. Again, hindsight and all that, we should have just let it go...

BUT, I needed a car. I have kids and I couldn't go without a vehicle, so we ended up keeping it.

Our blank check through Roadloans expires next week Thursday, so if we don't sell it by then, I guess we're done.

My husband put it out in front of his work today for $13,500 so maybe someone will bite. He is also taking it to Carmax after work to see what measly amount they offer. LOL

I put it on Craigslist for the upteenth time today also.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilltheone View Post
                AIMSLANDER--

We also fought hard to keep the Escalade during the bankruptcy. At the time, it was valued at $24K and we actually had to exempt equity. Again, hindsight and all that, we should have just let it go...

BUT, I needed a car. I have kids and I couldn't go without a vehicle, so we ended up keeping it.

Our blank check through Roadloans expires next week Thursday, so if we don't sell it by then, I guess we're done.

My husband put it out in front of his work today for $13,500 so maybe someone will bite. He is also taking it to Carmax after work to see what measly amount they offer. LOL

Good luck to you
                I put it on Craigslist for the upteenth time today also.
                Much luck to you! I know how you feel! I had to pay the trustee $3k to keep my suv as I owned it but had a lien on the title that annoyed the hell out of the trustee so we had cut a deal. Did you try anything at the Cadillac dealership?
                Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
                  Much luck to you! I know how you feel! I had to pay the trustee $3k to keep my suv as I owned it but had a lien on the title that annoyed the hell out of the trustee so we had cut a deal. Did you try anything at the Cadillac dealership?
                  The problem is that the van that I want is at some little po-dunk dealership. I've tried going to other dealerships, but they want me to buy something off THEIR lot....Completely understandable, but they don't have anything that I want. Picky? Absolutely.

I've had many calls today, but not one person to come look at it.

C'MON PEOPLE!! A friggin' Escalade for $13,500! That's a steal! LOL

Comment

In a better economy you could probably sell it quickly; in this economy, no one wants any kind of gas guzzler and people are not reaching into their pockets to purchase anything unless it is an absolute necessity. The retail, auto and restaurant businesses show the decline well. You just may have to do without your van for a while and wait it all out.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      In a better economy you could probably sell it quickly; in this economy, no one wants any kind of gas guzzler and people are not reaching into their pockets to purchase anything unless it is an absolute necessity. The retail, auto and restaurant businesses show the decline well. You just may have to do without your van for a while and wait it all out.
                      Very true, very true...

BUT, you're still going to have people that will just want an SUV....especiallly living in Wisconsin, during the winter. When I go anywhere, I'm definitely NOT the only SUV on the road.

Another reason I'm so "antsy" to get rid of the Escalade is the mileage. We were told by every dealership we took it to to NOT let the mileage get above 100K. Right now, it's at 97K. They said once it hits over 100K, the value goes down drastically. I guess 100K is the "magic" number for loans and warranties. It's harder to get a loan for a vehicle with over 100K miles.

So, if we're going to get rid of it, we need to do it before the mileage gets any higher. Once it hits past 100K, we're done and we need to keep it.

Well, it's up on Craigslist, Cars.com and in front of a heavily trafficked area....So, I guess we're doing all we can do. We have until next week Thursday, when our Roadloans check expires. We won't be reapplying.

Thanks!

Comment

Anything with a V8 is going to be hard to sell, take a long time, and needs to be sold very cheaply. lol
                        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Stilltheone, I found your craigslist ad. You live fairly close to me.

Part of the problem is that it's a very expensive car even at $13K because of the high mileage. SUVs are not in demand. Think about it, how often have you really used that 4WD around here? I've been through many winters in this area and rarely use mine (and I have two Jeeps!). It's a nice to have option, but for 99% of the time, it's not needed. I could do without it and often wish I had bought something more economical.

There are a lot of more sensible vehicles at that price that you are competing with. That's the hard truth, sorry to say.
                            Filed CH13 12/31/08, abandoned March 09 after losing job.

Ch7 Filed March 2010. 341 Meeting April 2010. Discharge and Case Closed July 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by bcvw View Post
                              Stilltheone, I found your craigslist ad. You live fairly close to me.

Part of the problem is that it's a very expensive car even at $13K because of the high mileage. SUVs are not in demand. Think about it, how often have you really used that 4WD around here? I've been through many winters in this area and rarely use mine (and I have two Jeeps!). It's a nice to have option, but for 99% of the time, it's not needed. I could do without it and often wish I had bought something more economical.

There are a lot of more sensible vehicles at that price that you are competing with. That's the hard truth, sorry to say.
                              Last winter, the AWD came in very handy. The Escalade is AWD, all the time. I know some SUV's, like Tahoes and Yukons, that have a 4WD button.

As for the price, we researched it before listing it. If someone would truly want an Escalade versus a Tahoe, ours is the cheapest one out there. The only Escalde cheaper than us is a 1999 for $9K. The next step above us is an 02 with 75K miles for $14K.

We've had tons of calls on it, even from guys in Chicago. We have several people that plan on coming out this weekend to take a peek. My husband is also going to Carmax tonight to see what they say.

If there was absolutely NO SUV market, we wouldn't be getting ANY calls on it, but there have been at least 20-30.

At the end of the day, it doesn't HAVE to sell. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. There's not much I can do about it. I'm getting rid of it for purely selfish reasons.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X