Corn not found and I ain't stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn not found and I ain't stupid

Alright folks, this is just a report from ME only. Last three weeks-minus one in Parris Island- after looking through three of the five Publixes in my area, one Publix and one Winn Dixie today, NO YELLOW whole or cut CORN, none, zip. Only ears of white corn, no Green Giant, store brand or other period. Any ideas?
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Hi robivi3.

Publix does not have corn right now.

I went through something like that one year looking for easter lillies at numerous different types of stores and no one sold them anywhere that year except at the exotic flower shops.

All the sales people noticed it too. Who knows why?

Comment

Hmmm....I dunno but I heard a while back that manufacturing of ethanol could lead to a corn shortage...and at that time Bush sent a bunch of our corn to Mexico even though we were going to need it.

I have verified neither.

ep
      Last edited by epiphany; 09-26-2008, 06:32 PM.
      California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Well due to the government giving subsidies for inefficient ethanol many Corn producers sold to ethanol makers and not to food producers.....

As such there will be a shortage of corn in your supermarkets this fall and winter.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

The corn is all going to Ethanol production. Florida has a mandate that all service stations will carry Ethanol by 2010 and they are building a massive pipeline for it. (It operates out of Tampa.)

So, your corn is either being fed to cattle (because we eat so much beef on this planet and that's the #1 cause of greenhouse gases) and the rest is in our fuel tanks! E-10 is coming!

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

See now compressed natural gas would be a better solution. You can't eat it anyway....so no loss on the food scale. It is also clean, leaves basically water as a byproduct. It is also readily available in the United States if we'd only invest in infrastructure and drilling for it. (Conversion of vehicles is pretty easy too)
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

a) corn season is pretty much over in the midwest, no good looking corn left around here, and b) a lot of corn crops were lost to bad weather this year (tornadoes in MN wrecked 80% of the corn i see on my daily commute, sure it was bad elsewhere with flooding, wind, and whatnot), and c) what they said about subsidies and biofuel.

sigh.
              Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
              (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

I was waiting for someone to state the obvious, weather and fuel use. Turning a staple into fuel, no good will ever come of that.

I was shocked that so soon my .79 boxes of corn would vanish. We are headed for many problems and I am usually not a doomsdayer, but in this life staple items are staples for thousands of years for a reason, they nourish people.
                Last edited by robivi3; 09-27-2008, 10:30 AM.
                "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Comment

I doubt that is why they have no corn right now. I have been to stores where they are completely out of a food item like that. I am from one of the first cities in the USA with an ethanol plant and they would not use it all just for gas. LOL! Grain has been turned into alcohol since forever.

A lot of crops were destroyed in flood waters but we still have corn here. You will see corn again on the shelf, I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
                    Alright folks, this is just a report from ME only. Last three weeks-minus one in Parris Island- after looking through three of the five Publixes in my area, one Publix and one Winn Dixie today, NO YELLOW whole or cut CORN, none, zip. Only ears of white corn, no Green Giant, store brand or other period. Any ideas?
                    We just came back from weekly grocery shopping at Publix, and there's yellow corn everywhere. Fresh corn ears in the produce market, frozen and canned. I bought 3 cans of Green Giant's creamed corn to make corn souffle for our family's Sunday dinner tomorrow. I'm in South Florida, Miami suburb (Kendall).
                    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Maybe it's our buyer or something but their is none here nor at Winn Dixie, we are Plantation/Sunrise. No Green Giant, no Publix brand. Lots of white corn though

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
                        Maybe it's our buyer or something but their is none here nor at Winn Dixie, we are Plantation/Sunrise. No Green Giant, no Publix brand. Lots of white corn though
                        That's very strange. Why not ask the store manager what's going on?
                        BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                          I doubt that is why they have no corn right now. I have been to stores where they are completely out of a food item like that. I am from one of the first cities in the USA with an ethanol plant and they would not use it all just for gas. LOL! Grain has been turned into alcohol since forever.

A lot of crops were destroyed in flood waters but we still have corn here. You will see corn again on the shelf, I am sure.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. Sure, we'll see it again but at what cost?

I was at the supermarket today and all I saw in the produce department was prepackaged white corn (I love white corn) but it was 5.79 for 4 ears of stale corn. I never did think to look at the canned veggies so don't know if there was a shortage there but intend to look the next time I go.

ep
                          California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Well, I dont know about corn, the grocery stores in my area, Pittsburgh all have it, both fresh and frozen.

I do know that a year or two ago Lillies were carrying a virus, and greenhouses weren't selling. There was an issue with that, see tiger lillies and exotics are not supposed to be housed nor planted together, because Tiger lillies carry a virus that kills the others, which is why if you like various lillies, you are supposed to plant seperately depending on the type.

Comment

Originally posted by Catia View Post
                              Well, I dont know about corn, the grocery stores in my area, Pittsburgh all have it, both fresh and frozen.

I do know that a year or two ago Lillies were carrying a virus, and greenhouses weren't selling. There was an issue with that, see tiger lillies and exotics are not supposed to be housed nor planted together, because Tiger lillies carry a virus that kills the others, which is why if you like various lillies, you are supposed to plant seperately depending on the type.

That explains why there was a shortage.

That year they had only a small selection that had orientals only. There was not a white easter lilly to be found unless you paid about 40.00 for 3 bulbs and only at a couple of specialty greenhouses.

That happened one season with carnations too.
                              Interesting.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X