Rising Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedler:

While I may not be a "high finance expert" (whatever the h#@* your definition of that is), I am NOT stupid!! I am here because of unemployment, medical crises, and yes, foolish decisions on some occasions.

There are many theories and opinions about the gas prices and the bottom line is there isn't a whole lot any of us can do about it except to be responsible for our own actions. I can and will gripe about it if so choose, but in the end I am just grateful to have vehicles to put gas in and grateful I have a job to which to go.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why some people come to this forum in the first place if they are not in our shoes. I've said it before, human behavior never ceases to amaze me!

Sorry, but your post really ticked me off! I must be having a low estrogen day!
    Filed: 2/24/2006
    341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
    Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

What's happening in your area with gas?

okay...here we go again...

Gas, last night for 87 was 2.99 on Anna Maria Island...

This morning it was 3.17 on Longboat Key....

has anybody heard what's going on????

ok...now I'm waiting impatiently for the 1st of May and the bike rentals to be refurbished for selling....

I will cancel my gym membership! And put the $3/a day that I would spend in gas plus the $25/mo. for gym to something worthwhile, like maybe my IRA?
      Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
      Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Oil, Gas Prices Drop on Bush Supply Move

AP - 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

Crude oil and gasoline futures fell Tuesday after President Bush gave the Environmental Protection Agency the authority to relax regional clean-fuel standards to attract more imports of gasoline to the United States and to make it easier for supplies to be moved from one state to another. President Bush also said he would halt deposits of oil to the nation's strategic petroleum reserve until the fall, but analysts said that measure would have next to no impact on crude prices and certainly would not help make gasoline any cheaper. Even the fuel-specification waivers will have a marginal impact, analysts said, given that the main force behind today's soaring pump prices is the near-record price of crude oil.
        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Back at you Fedler

When oil companies show RECORD PROFITS, look at the BIG PICTURE! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Sure there are reasons that oil prices are up - law of supply and demand, the war, etc. That doesn't mean that the oil companies should take advantage of the situation. The headlines didn't read RECORD PRICES, IT READ RECORD PROFITS
          I live in a rural area, I have to drive to work, to daycare, to grocery store. We don't have mass transit, let alone car pooling. I economize driving the best way I can. I do my shopping on the way home from work, etc.
          Ethanol is supposed to be another answer, that is a rip off too. It doesn't cost that much to produce corn.
          I'll be watching, you may never know when or how, but I'll be there. I am there now....

Comment

I believe that America is in for a rude awakening. For the past decade, everyone and their brother has desired to own a "McMansion". It has been a trend and builders have been building to excess. I see neighborhood after neighborhood with houses that have square footage of 3000+. Our city newspaper did a feature article Sunday about customers desiring more square footage. When someone asks about a new home the first question out of there mouth is "how many square feet is it?". I wonder what it will cost to heat all of that footage this winter as oil presumably goes higher. Could we see more foreclosures (remember, too, that many arms will start to escalate up). Maybe I am overworried, but I do not see a pretty picture.

Comment

Right on...

...scary isn't it...and where I live, due to major tourism industry...you see the difference in the lifestyles of the people just barely making a living vs. investors driving up the real estate market...something's got to give!
              Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,

Comment

Yes, there will be more foreclosures....heard on the news awhile back that there is expected to be over a million, yes that was a MILLION foreclosures in the next 5 years....Do you know why? Because people are buying these big MCMANSION (very cute way to name them...) homes on those awful "interest only" loans because they can "afford" those type homes this way. Then, when the contract on the interest only part comes due and they have to make the "real" payment on the balance of the principle, they can't do it and take care of the necessities of every day living...So, they fall behind and will be foreclosed as no one in their right mind will try to invest in a home of that type of value, nor can the average person afford them on a conventional loan.

Added to all this is the rising cost of gasoline and diesel fuel....With gas going up so fast, what will happen to natural gas for heating this coming winter? Scary to have to think about it when the A/C is also on the mind....

Comment

My goodness!! It's unbelievable how the government has finally began to show some "concern" over the gas prices! In addition to the profits that the major fuel companies are making, I'm interested in having major creditors report the percentage of charges have been for the purchase of fuel.
                  The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by HRx
                    My goodness!! It's unbelievable how the government has finally began to show some "concern" over the gas prices! In addition to the profits that the major fuel companies are making, I'm interested in having major creditors report the percentage of charges have been for the purchase of fuel.
                    They announced on the news today that the Republicans in Congress are proposing to give taxpayers $100 toward the rising costs of fuel.

$100!!

WooooHoooo!!!
                    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                    Discharged - 12/2006
                    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Disabilities mean punishment

I have huge issues with gas prices. My income has not increased and will not be increasing. Gas prices do. My budget is still $15/week according to my income but actual expenses are around $25/week, sometimes more. I may be fortunate to live virtually NEXT DOOR to my workplace but I can't walk. I have a disability that makes walking extremely difficult and have no choice but to drive the .3 mile there and .2 mile home and use up all that precious gas on such short trips. Also, there is inly so much food for myself or cat that I can cut out of my budget. I would give a lot to be completely able-bodied and have the choice of do I walk today or not.
                      Filed Pro-se: 01/18/06
                      341 meeting: 02/14/2006
                      Objection Deadline: 04/17/06
                      Discharge: 06/13/2006
                      Closed: 06/21/2006

Credit cards

06/25/06, reopened a Discover that I closed before my bk, $1500 limit
                      July 2006, Target Redcard $200 limit
                      August 2006, Hooters MC $1750 limit

Comment

And none of us are....

Originally posted by SinkingFast
                        They announced on the news today that the Republicans in Congress are proposing to give taxpayers $100 toward the rising costs of fuel.

$100!!

WooooHoooo!!!
                        ....going to hold our breath!!!!

Comment

Here on my island....

Originally posted by lilgoose
                          Yes, there will be more foreclosures....heard on the news awhile back that there is expected to be over a million, yes that was a MILLION foreclosures in the next 5 years....Do you know why? Because people are buying these big MCMANSION (very cute way to name them...) homes on those awful "interest only" loans because they can "afford" those type homes this way. Then, when the contract on the interest only part comes due and they have to make the "real" payment on the balance of the principle, they can't do it and take care of the necessities of every day living...So, they fall behind and will be foreclosed as no one in their right mind will try to invest in a home of that type of value, nor can the average person afford them on a conventional loan.

Added to all this is the rising cost of gasoline and diesel fuel....With gas going up so fast, what will happen to natural gas for heating this coming winter? Scary to have to think about it when the A/C is also on the mind....
                          ....we have had an amazing growth of leveling homes to build 2 places on one lot instead of one...apartments gone condo...taxes to island business raising 400% in a year...and that means no profit margin for the small business owner.

...AND, NOW...w/the hurricane issues about to come 'round, the FL insurance co that handles all the coastal waterfront properies...residential as well as business...will not give windstorm out to certain properties that are within a certain distance to the water...without windstorm, one can't get a mortgage...What a double bind!

Comment

Originally posted by krobin02
                            I have huge issues with gas prices. My income has not increased and will not be increasing. Gas prices do. My budget is still $15/week according to my income but actual expenses are around $25/week, sometimes more. I may be fortunate to live virtually NEXT DOOR to my workplace but I can't walk. I have a disability that makes walking extremely difficult and have no choice but to drive the .3 mile there and .2 mile home and use up all that precious gas on such short trips. Also, there is inly so much food for myself or cat that I can cut out of my budget. I would give a lot to be completely able-bodied and have the choice of do I walk today or not.
                            I think when we gave the attny expense numbers we said $300, maybe $350/month for gas. It's actually more like $400/month, if not more. Hubby fills his tank 2x/month. That's $100. Son fills his tank about 3 times/month. Another $100. But I've been using daughter's car since we sold my truck. Her tank is getting filled every 5-7 days now. $50 a pop.

And it occurred to me this afternoon,............ We're paying double for gasoline now what we did just a year ago.
                            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                            Discharged - 12/2006
                            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Hey, it costs $4 for gas to mow the yard and another $1 or so to weed eat each week. I drive to work, any errands I have in town get down then except on Sunday's when I pick up the grandbaby. I try and work a split shift on those days when I can to save on gas. Excess driving has been gone the way of the dinosaur. I live too far to walk or ride a bike. I am also on call and work irregular hours. There is no mass transit here, I don't live near anyone that works my hours (or close to them) to carpool with. I live "in the country." Work is flexible but not so that I can work from home.
                              When gas goes up, so does everything else. Groceries, electricity, etc. It is not just one expense. A $100, probably have to do $500 worth of paperwork. Hope that the government is better prepared to account for the "give" away than they were with the FEMA monies. Just wanted to vent......
                              I'll be watching, you may never know when or how, but I'll be there. I am there now....

Comment

Gas has gone up here again. The 3.00 barrier has been broken as the norm. There was concern in congress that if oil prices reached 80.00/barrel the country would be at crises level. Well, we are almost there. I believe we are hovering right around 75.00. I am truly concerned about what gas will be a year from now. I mean the norm is now double last year. My dad has a different view on this. He said the government likes the high gas prices. Reason is the taxes. Since taxes are percentage based, the higher the gas the more revenue in taxes. 25% of 1.50 is not nearly as much as 25% of 3.00. He also said this is why there will never be an alternative source of fuel. It would have to bring in the same revenue to the government.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X