How do you choose a good family doctor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you choose a good family doctor?

Can someone offer good advice in finding & choosing a good family doctor?

I have been through three in one year & I am not happy with any of them. They are jerking my chain, they do not listen to what I am saying and when I tell them what I am feeling they act like I dont know what I am talking about.

Then when I go down to take all the exams they tell me to take, the people doing the exams tell me this is the wrong exam for what I describe & suggest what I have been telling my doctors. I am not that stupid & I am not going to be taken advantage of just because they think they can. I am having a very hard time with this.

On a good note, I did find an awesome foot doctor & have had two surgeries this year on both feet & both problems are healed. I knew upon my first visit to him that he knew what he was doing & was very smart in his field.

Why is it that a good doctor has the 'instinct' to just look at you & 'know' what is wrong & these ignorant doctors do not listen & send you on wild goose chases? I do not make that kind of money to be taken advantage of.

Advice? Experience? Please?

there is a great site that I use that has reviews and ratings on it. can't think of the exact url right now but search for "rate MDs" or "doctor ratings"

Comment

Search or browse RateMDs for trusted reviews & ratings on doctors & healthcare facilities. We're the original doctor ratings site with over 2 million reviews.

Comment

that feature is awesome. it looks like it is based on public opinion? Yes?

I did a search for all three of the doctors including my awesome podiatrist, but their rating must be so bad that they did not even make the list!

I was thinking about interviewing them? I must not be looking for the right things in the interviews I tried in the past.

When I had shingles in my mouth a good 10 years ago... I had to go to about seven (7) different doctors including 3 dentists. Nobody had a clue on something that simple & yet the most painful thing in my life! I ended up in emergency telling them to cut the nerves to my face because I could not stand the pain & they knew right away I had shingles in my face & mouth.

I went to the doctor they suggested & she confirmed it was shingles. this is the problem I have for not finding a good family doctor all these years. It is called the run around.

Thanks for the list, hopeforus. I will search with it some more when I get back from my doctors appointent today, with another dufus

Comment

If you have friends and family in the same area as you, ask for referrals. Word of mouth is how I've picked doctors. I used to do the "pick one out of the directory" approach and every time I got a bad one. Right now I've got a good family doctor and good pediatrician. My problem is that my husband's company keeps changing insurance every year and there is always the chance I'll lose them.

Good luck and I hope you find a good one!!!!!
          Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me
          Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

I was gonig to post what DisneyGirl wrote. There is nothing more reliable, than word of mouth.

You can't look at any survey or ranking and ask questions specific to what makes you comfortable with a doctor who is going to know more things about your body, than perhaps you.

One of the best Dentists in my area is Dr. Payne (DDS). Now, if you saw that name on a survey/ranking, would you go to him???
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That is exactly what I keep doing, picking one from the directory. I have been here 11 years & never needed a doctor. I just left his office & now I have to go to 3 more new doctors/specialtists because he cant help me. LOL!
              Every test he had done came back negative, duh, but I am far from being negative at the moment.

My family is spread all over the place & my cousin here never needs a doctor & my aunt only has a chiropractor. her doctor retired & now she needs a new one too.

My podiatrist came about as a fluke & i was not even looking but he rocks with intelligence. I do know one other family doctor but he is two hours away. He is the kind who just looks in your eyes & presses on you, then asks a couple of questions & listens in detail & knows what is wrong right away.

I have always been a very healthy person & now I need a doctor for everything. I know exactly what you are saying about the insurance plans changing because I also just changed my plan & when you do that the doctors change.

I suppose everyone goes through this in the beginning.

Comment

Do you have a University Medical Center/Hospital near you? I've used them in the past and have always had excellent doctors there. You will run into situations where you'll have an intern AND a doctor but I've found they are very complete in their evaluations and follow ups.
                Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

Dr. Payne?
                  Is that like Dr. Tears?

Sadly, I dont have word of mouth. I went to a woman doctor by word of mouth from someone I work with, but I dont think she understand testicle pain the way a male doctor does.

Maybe it is me & I am not a very good patient or being impatient & trying too hard too fast. I have so much anxiety over this, not knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                    Dr. Payne?
                    Is that like Dr. Tears?

Sadly, I dont have word of mouth. I went to a woman doctor by word of mouth from someone I work with, but I dont think she understand testicle pain the way a male doctor does.

Maybe it is me & I am not a very good patient or being impatient & trying too hard too fast. I have so much anxiety over this, not knowing.
                    I'm sorry Bandit. Waiting for answers is so hard. Try to remind yourself you are doing what you can to get it figured out. That's all you can do.
                    Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyGirl View Post
                      Do you have a University Medical Center/Hospital near you? I've used them in the past and have always had excellent doctors there. You will run into situations where you'll have an intern AND a doctor but I've found they are very complete in their evaluations and follow ups.
                      I am thinking about using the doctors who are at the hospital. There is a non for profit one near me that has all the doctors you could want. It is huge. That would be nice to have everything at one location instead of running around like this. I just did not want to go there because I am embarrased since I went BK on that hospital & some of the doctors for a lot of money & I am not sure they will accept me because of that.

I tend to agree that the ones who have an office in the hospital are probably a bit more intelligent & complete. They basicly live there & work long hours because of the nature of the hospital.

Comment

In a previous life I worked for two major health insurance companies (a combined 17 years). Another option available to you is to call your insurance company, ask for their Provider Relations Department, and directly express your dissatisfaction with your current physician and at the same time ask for a recommendation. You'd be surprised how helpful they can be in helping you find a family doctor or PCP that meets the "requirements" you voice to the Provider Services Rep.

Try that. Let us know how it plays out.
                        BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

My podiatrist came about as a fluke & i was not even looking but he rocks with intelligence. I do know one other family doctor but he is two hours away. He is the kind who just looks in your eyes & presses on you, then asks a couple of questions & listens in detail & knows what is wrong right away.
                          What about asking your podiatrist for a recomendation? He probably get referrals from lots of doctors in the area and might know a few good ones.

TS

Comment

I'm on my second female Doctor in 12 years. For some reason, I prefer the ladies.
                            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
                              In a previous life I worked for two major health insurance companies (a combined 17 years). Another option available to you is to call your insurance company, ask for their Provider Relations Department, and directly express your dissatisfaction with your current physician and at the same time ask for a recommendation. You'd be surprised how helpful they can be in helping you find a family doctor or PCP that meets the "requirements" you voice to the Provider Services Rep.

Try that. Let us know how it plays out.
                              I have been doing that as well because I just changed my plan and spend what feels like hours talking to blue cross. they give me these names to check out but i have never told them that I dont like the doctor. They always go down the list aphabetical I have noticed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X