I'm sure that it is true that a handful of people did vote for President Obama for the color of his skin because they never thought they would see someone with the same color of skin and boundaries in life be in such a position. It wasn't JUST because of the color, but because they knew that a man who connected with them for things that no one else outside of their community could understand would be the best one to represent them.
There were also a lot of people who voted for McCain for the same exact reasons. Not because they believed in his politics, but because they were afraid of a man of color being in office.
The very first words of my professor in Human Behaviour 101 were: "Prejudice is fear of the unknown."
I voted for Obama, proudly. It wasn't for the color of his skin, it was for what I believed we have in common. Because he knows what it is like to be the child of a single parent, to come from nothing and only want the same opportunities to become successful through hard work. He knows what it was like when his mother had to struggle to put food on the table for her children. I want someone in leadership who has that in mind, not someone who came from privilege and has no clue what life is like for those of us who didn't.
I don't want a hand out. I want the paychecks that I work hard for to be enough. I want someone in office who cares to make sure that they are enough. I want someone who cares enough to realize that good hard working and professional people (not just blue collar) are having a hard time just paying for basic necessities of life. I want someone who will at least try to make policies that will make that possible and not just say "Oh well, they should've done better for themselves."
I'm not a "kool aid drinker". I'm not African American. I am not an idiot. I am a person who has seen the world through my own eyes and can process my own thoughts enough to know that this man was the best candidate for me.
Originally posted by CoCoChanel
View Post
Leave a comment: