Car Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Accident

I was involved in a fender bender a few yrs ago. It was my fault. I rearended the truck in front of me. total damage to both vehicles was less than $2K. the passenger is claiming she got a bulging disk which turned into a herniated disk and suing me. i have to give me deposition in a few days.

i included them in my ch 7 bk that was just filed so i'm protected there. they petitioned to let the case proceed with the understanding they are only going after insurance $. my concern is that is she gets awarded a large sum of $ my insurance co will drop me like a hot potato and i won't be able to get new insurance since i just filed bk.

anyone have experience with this?

First, I'm glad to hear that you are ok.

Unfortunately, there's no way to predict what's going to happen with your insurance in this situation. First there's no guarantee the other driver is going to win what they are asking for. Second, even if the other driver does win their suit, insurance companies don't all react the same way to the same situation.

One thing for sure, worrying about it now isn't going to change the ultimate outcome. Instead start researching other insurance providers now so you'll be prepared in case the worst case scenario - being dropped by your current insurance company or raising your premiums to the point you can't afford them any longer - actually happens.

Hang in there. You have more power in this situation than you realize right now.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I used to be in the insurance industry and Progressive will insure anyone, just going to cost you.

Comment

thanks for the responses. you're right lrprn, worrying doesn't help me now. but i can't seem to stop. i have this depo plus my 341 meeting all within about 5 days of each other. this has been going on for 5 years what are the chances that i have to give the depo the same week of the 341 ?

i'm worried the bk will make it hard to get insurance. but oregonmom maybe progressive will be my only choice. sometimes life throws everything to you at once.

Comment

Insurance companies are very good at fighting claims, they have some pretty sharp lawyers on their payroll.

Comment

What do we do? We Say No! What do we do? We don't adjust!

Say No. Don't Adjust. Say No. Don't Adjust.

(I love that commercial)
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              What do we do? We Say No! What do we do? We don't adjust!

Say No. Don't Adjust. Say No. Don't Adjust.

(I love that commercial)
              Isn't it like 4:00 AM in Florida right now MR Broke?

You been drinkin' too much coffee and watching silly commercials?

I have never seen that one (commercial). I'll have to Google it! Sounds funny!

And I thought I was a night owl!

HOO< HOO>

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X