top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical offices and scanning of credit cards ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical offices and scanning of credit cards ?

I am wondering if this is a universal rather than just a local phenomenon ?My physicians offices and the laboratory now insist upon scanning a credit card prior to one using their services .I was told this is in case the insurance company refuses payment and the cost exceeds your co-payment . Has this happened to anyone else ?? What if you dont have a credit card? Will this force you to use the ER thereby running up excessive health care costs ?

Wow...have not heard of that here. Somehow it just doesn't sound like a good thing at all.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Sounds like they are protecting themselves against insurance fraud and probably have been hit with a lot of fraudulent claims or regular claims from people either pretending they have insurance or having expired/lapsed insurance, due to all the folks now out of work. It's a business and most businesses utilize whatever they can to make money and not lose it. If you are not happy with their new practice, time to get another doctor/laboratory.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

It's probably due to a combo of what Flamingo says (not having insurance on the day filed) with the fact that people may not be paying their coinsurance and their deductible amounts.

They can actually call the company and verify both, but this is probably easier and cheaper for them as they'd have someone on the phone all day verifying all of this with insurance companies.

Comment

Originally posted by bk2009 View Post
          It's probably due to a combo of what Flamingo says (not having insurance on the day filed) with the fact that people may not be paying their coinsurance and their deductible amounts.

They can actually call the company and verify both, but this is probably easier and cheaper for them as they'd have someone on the phone all day verifying all of this with insurance companies.
          Most of the dr's offices I go to have someone that is the insurance person doing nothing but verifications all day long. I think you hit the nail on the head with the fact that people are slow pay or no pay for the coinsurance or deductibles.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I would say... never let anyone scan of photocopy your card... although there are businesses that do so. I am happy that my doctor doesn't scan cards (neither my dentist, my internist, nor my ophthalmologist). I gave a fit, once, when a Hotel wanted to photocopy my passport.

My doctors all validate coverage before I'm even out of the office, because my co-pay is based on the service provided. I'm lucky that I don't pay for office visits and most routine exams, tests, x-rays, etc. But I pay about $7K a year for my family and I to have such service.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hmmm, never had that....weird. I don't know if I would feel comfortable with "copies" of my credit card hanging around in some office....
              May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
              May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
              May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Never heard of this one. Most offices just call the insurance company and verify benefits and request the balance at the date of service. I would say nope, and find another doctor.

Comment

To see doctors here I actually have to make a $100 CC authorization before they let me see the doc in the clinic. There's a doctor shortage and if you don't have insurance this is the only option besides just going to the ER and ducking the bill. I'm in northern California.

Comment

Scanning of my credit card and putting my information into their computer is not going to happen!
                    This is nothing but BS. What about their computer security.
                    What about the people that work for them.
                    Like I said a bunch of BS.
                    Find another doctor~~~Now!!!!

Comment

Seriously... anybody that works there could just grab that photo copy and have a field day...that is unsecure and just unacceptable...
                      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Penny Less View Post
                        To see doctors here I actually have to make a $100 CC authorization before they let me see the doc in the clinic. There's a doctor shortage and if you don't have insurance this is the only option besides just going to the ER and ducking the bill. I'm in northern California.

As for the "Dr. shortage" you can thank all the mal practice premiums they have to pay thanks to the abusers of the legal system. Get ready for this to get worse. No thinking person will take on over 200k in student loan debt to clear 30k a year.
                        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

I have one doctor who has a copy of my (now defunct) credit card, but he doesn't accept any insurance at all. When you think about it, ALL of your important information is available to anyone who has access to the office, including the janitor. The credit card is the least of it.

While I can see the doctor's point, I wouldn't assume that practice is acceptable under the contract they have with your insurance company. Why not ask the insurer what they think about it?

I'm just thinking how pissed I'd be if all the medical claims mistakes (by provider or insurer) that I've caught over the years just got charged to my credit card.
                          Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X