Distressing Advertisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distressing Advertisement

I find it very distressing that opening this site, I find advertising for credit cards. I understand the need to sell advertising, but come on folks, credit cards?

I agree with you, but this has been addressed before. Google advertising is unique in the fact that what is posted here triggers different advertising including what you may have looked at before as well as your location. The cookies and IP address is looked at by Google as if you are say, near Tampa, you will get Tampa lawyer adds. I am currently in Morristown TN and get Morristown adds. The owner/administrator has no control over these adds. Some are of odd or insulting content but what you see, I may not be seeing.

The user spam adds that at times flood our posting locations, is deleted by the Mods and the user is banned. But no one has control once Goodle adds have been granted. They are how the owner supports this free site. Nothing is free and he has to pay for it and the adds help. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

That's very true. I tend to see advertisements that pertain to whatever google searches or shopping I've done recently.

Filed 5/20/11
      341 Meeting 7/6/11
      Awaiting Discharge..........

Comment

You are soooooo right. The push for, not only credit cards, but luxury items such as trips and jewelry is sad - I laugh pathetically every time I see them. However, the fact that this site is available is a direct result of the revenues generated by those ads. We, as consumers, simply need to have the will power to ignore them.

Des.

Comment

Originally posted by despritfreya View Post
          We, as consumers, simply need to have the will power to ignore them.

Des.
          *ding ding ding ding* We have a winner! Give the man his choice of prizes!

Comment

Originally posted by kmattin View Post
            I find it very distressing that opening this site, I find advertising for credit cards. I understand the need to sell advertising, but come on folks, credit cards?
            Google will show the currant site's that people have been to, as well as, other advertising. I just went to my t-mobile account and came to this site and t-mobile is part of the advertising. I also went to old navy site and i am looking at it right now as i am typing this...lol

Comment

I don't find the "banner ads" offensive or intrusive at all. Unlike some websites, which have "blow-up ads" that are superimposed over the page you're trying to read (and usually have a time delay before the 'X' appears that lets you close them) this website simply has small "banner ads", most of which are not even animated.

I also don't see what the big deal is with credit card companies advertising on this site. As long as the offers aren't fraudulent or blatantly predatory (like First Premiere) then what's the problem? A lot of people are worried about getting credit cards again after bankruptcy, so it seems like these kind of ads are providing a service that people actually want.

Comment

Why not just click the ad's then cancel out? Now they have to pay the owner of the forum.

Unless someone with no self control is tempted to open another credit card account and repeat history the ad's are no big deal.
                The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by despritfreya View Post
                  You are soooooo right. The push for, not only credit cards, but luxury items such as trips and jewelry is sad - I laugh pathetically every time I see them. However, the fact that this site is available is a direct result of the revenues generated by those ads. We, as consumers, simply need to have the will power to ignore them.

Des.
                  One more plus for our Guest Lawyer who will not take business from here and posts out of kindness. This is a worthy poster whom I personally respect. Thank you. 'Hub

P.S. Yes, if you do not like the advertisements, click on them and cost them money. It supports this site and penalizes the advertiser as they only pay when clicked upon. Same way to get rid of junk mail with those post paid envelopes. Simply seal and close the envelope up, in the junk mail, and put into mail box. Costs them about 23 cents upon their receipt. 'Hub again.
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I have to disagree with 'Hub's PS. While some of those adds may be legitimate and you cost them money by clicking on them, some are totally bogus, and you may be releasing a keylogger or other malware onto your computer.

To follow Kim Komando's credo about suspect sites: "Just DON'T Click."
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X