No announcement yet.

The Hunger Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicinal herbs may be interesting to try to grow and learn about.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I have been collecting books and pamphlets for years. It is time to start using them...

Just don't do wild mushrooms though, even if the book says that what you've got that looks like the picture, is okay. 'Hub was sicker than a dog. He later burned that book...

I actually should add that this happened during his previous marriage.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Hi All:

I have just finished reading 'Mockingjay'. Actually, it was a couple of days ago, but we were involved with worrying about 'Hub's younger daughter. Fortunately, she is doing better and has been sent home from the hospital, although no one seems to really know why her kidneys shut down a week ago. She is being watched...

Anyway, I finished the third book, and it seems like it is the best of the three. Possibly it is because I finally bought the trilogy, and am not under pressure to read it and get it back to the library for the next patron in line.

It also seems to answer the questions left open in the other two books--which I will go back and reread, now that I own them both. As for the reader review I read that said that the ending seemed rushed "as though the author was running out of her allotted paged to tie up all the lose ends"--I didn't think that. I thought everything ended well, though some characters died that I wish hadn't. I don't want to say too much so as not to be a spoiler for those that haven't read the books.

I was a little more annoyed with the 'Epilogue' and thought that could have been fleshed out a little more. However, having said that, I am left with wishing there was more. So in my opinion, the author did a very good job of developing her characters, and getting us, her audience, to care about them--even to what happens to Buttercup, than many other fiction authors I have read.

With this trilogy/series, I am left with the feeling that I wish I had a little more..., rather than 'Whew, I'm glad that's finally over...'
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I know exactly how you feel Mrs. Cat! I'm going to read "Divergence" next.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

JB, just looked that up... sounds interesting, putting it on my list.
            On that order... sorta... Jasper Fforde's Shades of Gray, which will also be a trilogy. Dystopian caste-type system with a huge twist. His Tuesday Next series is amazing, with something for everyone.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Ooops... I meant "Divergent". The trilogy by Veronica Roth.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Picked up Divergent, thanks for mentioning.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Is it a sad comment that we here on BKForum are enjoying books about caste-systems which pit hunger over freedom and vanity over... I don't know... but I hope you get the point?

Regardless, I still liked the Hunger Games!

Peeta: the well-spoken pro se debtor who wants the Bankruptcy Code to change.
                  Katniss: the pro se debtor who "volunteers" to challenge the entire system.
                  President Snow: the "diligent" Trustee
                  Haymitch: the former pro se debtor who helps Katniss.
                  Cinna: a Pro Bono attorney who makes the pro se debtors "look good"

Okay, enough of that!

Comment

Here's another parody. Prepare to die laughing!

Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                    Discharged! June 28, 2012
                    Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

I've seen that lots... it is very funny!

Comment

I just finished the three book audiobook set. I have to say that I found them to be excellent books. Like many others, I found my self sort of making a mental map in my head of the districts.

Another book, I've recently enjoyed was One Second After by William Forstchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
                          Another book, I've recently enjoyed was One Second After by William Forstchen.
                          I bought it for my Nook last night and am about halfway finished. VERY thought provoking. If you read and enjoyed 'Alas Babylon', you will like this, fyi.

Thanks for recommending it, Bell!
                          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                            I know exactly how you feel Mrs. Cat! I'm going to read "Divergence" next.
                            ACK! third book isn't even out yet Second one JUST released 5/1. The suspense is gonna kill me.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I finished Divergent and Insurgent. Just like KS, I am now DYING to read the 3rd book!!

I saw this on my Facebook. I laughed.

Who do you think would be the victor of those games? LOLOLOL

Comment

A couple of thoughts just occurred to me...

First of all, why do they spend so much time waxing the hair off of Katniss' body. You'd think that, with all the Capitol's unlimited technology, they would have laser hair removal, which, by the way, only has to be done one time.

And second, about Finnick's wife, Annie. Was she a Career Tribute? The book doesn't indicate that she was, but, being from District Four, she would have to be, right? Otherwise, someone else would have volunteered in her place when her name was reaped. Plus, during her games, she ran and hid the whole time, which is not how a Career operates. She only won by chance, because a dam broke in the arena, and she was the only one who knew how to swim. She just doesn't strike me as a Career tribute.

My sister says I've put too much thought into the books.
                                Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                                Discharged! June 28, 2012
                                Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X