The Hunger Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
    I have just checked out Hunger Games. I work PT at a college library, and I have seen it and the other two books on the New Book display, but had never paid any attention to them...
    Yay! Let me know what you think of it. I finished the first book and had to immediately start reading the second because I wanted to know what happened next!!!
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I liked them, and read them all very quickly. But they're depressing because the whole situation is so plausible.

I may not see the movie in the theater, but I do look forward to seeing it (Lenny Kravitz as Cinna seems so cool!).
      Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

Lenny as Cinna seems to be an awesome choice from the trailer I saw! Also, Donald Sutherland as President Snow should be good, too!
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

Hi VY: I have been working on reading the first book, but it has been a tough go, because I have not been left alone long enough to be able to delve into it.

I enjoyed reading the first part where Katniss sets up her situation and the District's situation. Then after she took Prim's place, and she and the other Tributes are taken to the Capitol, I have had problems with that. The parts dealing with all the Tributes coming into the Big City; being groomed; wined and dined; I had problems following the reading. I understand the concept, as the ancient Romans did the same thing with their favorites.

This is a re-telling of the Romans 'Bread and Circuses'. Keep the masses pacified, and Rome will be at peace. Yeah, right.

I am at the point where everyone goes into the arena. I hope to be able to get more uninterrupted reading time....
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I don't need to read the book or see the movie. I witness this daily in life. 51 bucks for 12 gallons of diesel to get home from working for ten bucks an hour for my brother.

We both are "preps". Keep stockpiling. I'm a long time see'r, in this. Alas Babylon by Pat Frank 1959, Panic in the year zero, Ray Milland, and another famous rocker. (I forget. My age I have a right.).

Just read "One second after" A very good survivalist book as well. Hit youtube on some of these oldies as well as the 1953 George Orwell 1984. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Alas, Babylon is one of my favorite books ever!

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
                Alas, Babylon is one of my favorite books ever!
                Believe it or not, I've read it more than 30 times. I could rattle the story and names off my head. I'm into the second reading of the second after. 'Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  Believe it or not, I've read it more than 30 times. I could rattle the story and names off my head. I'm into the second reading of the second after. 'Hub
                  I am probably close on that number of re-reads - although I lost my copy in our last move and it isn't available on my Nook. :sadface: I am going to order another paperback from Amazon today LOL I need to visit with Mark, Helen, Randy, Lavinia, Liz and Preacher Henry again.

Isn't it odd how a book written in the 50's still resonates with people today? I do know that I have too much salt & coffee in my cabinets along with seeds (vacuum sealed) and mason jars in my garage thanks to that book.

Comment

I am probably close on that number of re-reads - although I lost my copy in our last move and it isn't available on my Nook. :sadface: I am going to order another paperback from Amazon today LOL I need to visit with Mark, Helen, Randy, Lavinia, Liz and Preacher Henry again.

Isn't it odd how a book written in the 50's still resonates with people today? I do know that I have too much salt & coffee in my cabinets along with seeds (vacuum sealed) and mason jars in my garage thanks to that book.
                    I'm on second of second, but first of Patriot by Leslei Rawls. We be same. Check out youtube on Preppers. We will be here when those who vote for "O", will not. Nuff said without being chastised or banned. LOL. 'Hub

Comment

The movie opens today! Yay!

Hubby & I are going to the 12:20 showing. Popcorn for lunch!! I am really looking forward to both - the movie and a date with my hubby!

Comment

I am almost through with the book. After the contestants get out into the arena, the book picks up again. But I drove by our local movie theater (five screens) to see what the show times would be, and was greeted with a large CLOSED sign on the marquee. *Sigh* Another business gone. Now the closest theater is about 40 miles away.... I may just have to wait until the DVD comes out.

Comment

Please let us know about the movie, Excellent, Good, Fair, or so on. (You rate it for us) thanks.

Comment

The movie opens today! Yay!

Hubby & I are going to the 12:20 showing. Popcorn for lunch!! I am really looking forward to both - the movie and a date with my hubby!
                            Enjoy your date!

Comment

An old favorite that runs along similar lines is "Soylent Green." Go rent or buy it...Will make you think....

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                                It's intentionally depressing. The author is making an educated statement. She has done her homework on the public craze for reality tv, bloodlust, the economy, power/corruption.....

personally, I intend to learn more about urban foraging. Can't hurt.

Urban foraging is very interesting. My neighborhood has a casual cooperative agreement going which is providing many of us with fresh eggs, fresh goat's milk, goat's milk cheese, pecans, okra, squash, etc. It's a start.
                                The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                                "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                                Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X