top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the economy starting to improve in your area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the economy starting to improve in your area?

I just wondered if this was an isolated event just happening in the metro Phoenix area, or if it was more wide-spread?

Over the past week, I have been swamped with phone calls for me to do various small construction and landscaping jobs. I have had to put some of them off for a few weeks, to let me get the earlier jobs done first.

This is so encouraging to me. For awhile back then, a few months ago, I wasn't getting any phone calls at all, and when I asked former employers if they had any jobs they could throw my way, they told me they didn't even have any jobs for themselves to work on.

Everywhere I look in my neighborhood and beyond, there are new houses being built or old houses being remodeled and put up for sale.

And people who had stopped having me do their lawn to save money, have called me up and asked me to start doing their lawns again.

This is a groundswell of activity that I haven't seen since the early to mid-2000s. It is amazing.

I hope it doesn't lead to inflation or to another bust cycle, but for now, it is good to have a lot of work again.

I am saving back as much money as possible just in case this doesn't last very long.
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Congrats, nice to have the work I am sure.
    I am still hearing of us middle aged folks losing jobs in my area. Yet our esteemed Governor is very proud of his state's alleged comeback.
    I dunno.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I am not sure either, but I have to say in CA I notice lots less for sale signs and more contruction trucks sitting in front of homes. So seems like people are keeping their homes and working on them and that takes money. Also, I see a lot of help wanted in the stores and fast food places. Not great jobs, but people are hiring here too.

I hope things are looking up, its been a heck of a long time and we need some good news!
      Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

I have no good news. Here in our County, the poorest in this state, FL, the housing daily is going. Perhaps big money buys them at auction and are making them rentals in your areas. We still be broke here. Many places are reducing and yes, some restaurants her also have help wanted. This is a whole thread anew to talk about as the pay sucks and there is a reason that the former position now needs to be filled.

Nothing has changed here and is still going South. Sorry, but that is the news here. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

When the economy sunk, I began getting a seat on the train every day. Now I rarely get a seat, even when I'm running late and it's no longer the height of the commute period. The firm I work for whose slow growth strategies kept it alive while other firms were breaking up, has started hiring again, filling positions it was letting stay vacant. Some of my long time unemployed friends and family are finding jobs. Seem like good signs. I'm very cautiously optimistic. If we're in a recovery, I bet it will go at a snails pace.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

As Keepsmiling said, our governor says the state is doing well and job growth is up, however, NJ just posted the highest unemployment rate in 35 years. 35 years ago I had no trouble leaving one job and finding another immediately. Of course, I was young and still cute then. I haven't found anything in the last 6 mos. within reasonable travel distance that I even wanted to apply for. The jobs that do come up seem to be paying $8-9 an hour, which barely pays the gas to get there.
            If it's looking up, I don't see it.

Comment

I don't know if I would say things have "improved". I think we need to be careful about subjective words like better, or improve. e.g. better or improved relatively to what?

IMHO, things have stopped "going down."

Comment

The one thing that I have found out over the years is that I can not depend on "the economy" to put food on our table. Instead of worrying about "the economy", I focus on "my economy".

"My economy" is the only thing that I can change, however "my economy" does has an influence on "the economy".
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Middle income jobs in my area are terrible. Unemployment rates in the surrounding counties are 11-13%. The Marcellus shale gas boom everybody was talking about is a farce. The companies are bringing in thier own workers and paying them sub standard wages. Not hiring local people. Lots of people making money selling gas rights though.
                  Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

I believe Unemployment rates are much higher than what's stated. Don't they just count the people drawing unemployment insurance? There are a lot of people who been unemployed more than two years.

Comment

Employment opportunities with a good wage and benefits are still lacking. Most jobs available are just above min wage and and your lucky if you able to get 40hrs a week.

Comment

Lots of job here if you want to work for 8-9 dollars a hour and just part time. Real good jobs far and few in between

Comment

Our local newspaper reported that the unemployment rate for our county was 11.1 percent. In April it had been at 9.9 percent. Also that building permits were down over what they had been last year.
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Many 'under-employed' here or not employed at all. We aren't seeing as many for sale signs but we aren't seeing new construction either. Just empty homes being converted to rentals. I think I'm cautiously optimistic about the next few years. I don't really see things looking up right now but in our area, they appear to have hit bottom. We're just in limbo.
                            Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
                            Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

My area has improved. I happen to sleep in the lobby of a Chase bank. No trouble here!
                              The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X