Is it necessary to have a pacer account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it necessary to have a pacer account

I have noticed that most people on this Forum have Pacer Accounts. Is this really necessary. I have gone into Pacer and it says that I need a cc to check our accounts. We don't have any cc's. Thank you for any responses. sammie
    Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Hi Sammy, no, you don't really need a Pacer account. Checking it can become an obsession. I do have an account, used a debit card, and have never been charged because I only checked it a few times.

You seem to have a really good lawyer that keeps you up on things. Although my lawyer turned out okay after all, he seemed to have a bad couple of weeks (hey, we all have 'em) when I couldn't get any helpful info at all. I never would have known my BK was actually filed if I didn't see it on Pacer, and my lawyer doesn't give a copy of the documents until the 341, why I don't know. I was able to download it myself from Pacer. I'm a Chap. 7, should have discharge in about two weeks, so I can't really comment on whether you need/want Pacer for a 13.

Hope all is well for you and kids.

Comment

A PACER account is definitely not necessary. I bet that most people who file Bankruptcy who haven't encountered PACER in their professional lives have no idea what PACER is.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
        A PACER account is definitely not necessary. I bet that most people who file Bankruptcy who haven't encountered PACER in their professional lives have no idea what PACER is.
        Lady, I wouldn't have any idea what Pacer or a lot of other BK stuff was, if it wasn't for this forum. Thank you!

Comment

I never got one. From what I can tell you are better off not having one or knowing what's going on in your case. From those that have looked online they only end up worrying about it more and losing sleep over nothing. If you have questions, just ask your lawyer.

Comment

There is one case in which an active PACER account is a must-have for a debtor. That is the "pro se" filer! If you filed Pro Se, then you really need to have a PACER account.

Otherwise, those that are represented do not need a PACER account.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

And even then JB, I would only say for a pro-se chapter 13. (not that ANYONE should do a pro se chapter 13).

Even a pro-se chapter 7, PACER isn't really necessary. Anything bad or good that happens in BK gets mailed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X