No announcement yet.

IRA Conduit Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry the only one i could get was from TEXAS....so where certain statues are listed you would have to insert you're state's related statues. actually i think the total document is maybe 18 pages at most and most probate attys have them already in their computer and can kick them out in a ny minute, the only increased cost would be certain changes etc you may want to incorperate. hope this helps a bit. i'm going to insert the intro to the explanation of the basis of the trusts for the "board" readers, just to help some understand if they are at all interested in what a conduit trust is

"SAMPLE CONDUIT TRUST FORM

Individual retirement accounts2 (“IRAs”) can present challenges to attorneys in designing and implementing an estate plan for a client. Set forth below is a brief description of certain issues faced in planning with an IRA which can be addressed through the use of a conduit trust.

Designated Beneficiary Issue

The minimum required distribution rules contained in Code Section 401(a)(9) mandate that a certain amount of the IRA balance be distributed out from the IRA annually to the participant (after his/her “Required Beginning Date,” as defined in Code Section 401(a)(9)(C)) or the beneficiary(ies) designated by the participant to receive the IRA at death. The balance of the IRA is permitted to grow in a tax-deferred manner.
    The extent of the ability of a successor to an IRA to continue to be able to take advantage of the tax-deferred growth of assets inside the IRA depends upon the identity of the beneficial recipient(s) of the IRA named by the IRA participant. If the named recipient is not a “designated beneficiary” for the minimum distribution requirement purposes set forth in Code Section 401(a)(9)4, then the balance of the IRA must be distributed out (i) by December 31st of the year in which the 5th anniversary of the participant’s death falls or (ii) if the participant had reached his or her “required beginning date” before death, over the participant’s remaining actuarial life expectancy as of the participant’s death.

Individuals qualify as designated beneficiaries, as do beneficiaries of trusts which meet certain requirements.5 The inclination of many clients is to opt for simplicity and designate a spouse or children on the beneficiary designation when opening an IRA at a financial institution. However, that may not be advisable for several reasons.

Asset Protection Issue

Texas law provides that “a person's right to the assets held in . . . any individual retirement account . . . is exempt from attachment, execution, and seizure for the satisfaction of debts unless the plan, contract, or account does not qualify under the applicable provisions of the Internal Revenue Code."6 While the statute does not explicitly differentiate between an IRA created by a person or an IRA inherited from another person, the Bankruptcy Court has found that under Texas law a creditor of a beneficiary of an inherited IRA may reach the assets inside the IRA.7
    In order to protect an IRA from the creditors of a beneficiary it is necessary to designate a trust as the beneficiary recipient of the IRA in order to take advantage of spendthrift protection afforded to non-self settled trusts under Texas law. However, the concern of many attorneys is in ensuring the trust is structured in order to satisfy the requirements of Treas. Reg. Section 401(a)(9)-4.

Conduit Trust Solution

If a trust meets the definition of a conduit trust set forth in Treas. Reg. §1.409(a)(9)-5, A-
    7(c)(3), Example 2, then the oldest individual beneficiary of that Trust will be deemed the
    designated beneficiary of any IRA payable to the Trust for purposes of the minimum distribution
    requirements of Section 401(a)(9). Consequently, the “minimum required distributions” for that
    IRA will typically be calculated based upon a presumed withdrawal of the IRA’s contents over
    that beneficiary’s life expectancy, determined as of the participant’s death. This typically
    translates into a longer period of deferral than the default 5-year payout or a payout over the
    participant’s remaining actuarial life expectancy (if death occurred past the required beginning
    date). This ability to “stretch out” the withdrawal of the IRA’s contents correspondingly
    maximizes the opportunity for the continuation of the income tax deferred growth of the assets

inside of the IRA.

The look through trust requirements generally require (i) the trust be valid under state
    law; (ii) the trust is irrevocable or will be irrevocable upon the death of the IRA participant; (iii)
    the beneficiaries are identifiable; and (iv) the trust document is provided to the IRA custodian by
    October 31 of the calendar year following the death of the IRA participant. Please note that
    these requirements require careful analysis, especially with respect to the identification of
    beneficiaries.

A conduit trust can also offer the asset protection benefits of a spendthrift trust in order to
    protect the inherited IRA from a beneficiary’s creditors or a divorcing spouse. A conduit trust
    can also prevent a beneficiary who may not have the desired financial maturity from accessing
    the assets in the IRA and dissipating them in a prodigal manner.

The following trust is intended to meet the requirements of a look through trust for
    purposes of Treas. Reg. §1.401(a)(9)-4.8 This particular trust form creates a conduit trust within
    the confines of another trust agreement and is not intended to serve as a standalone trust.
    However, it is possible and may be preferable in some situations to create a standalone conduit
    trust.

Additionally, it is often desirable for a parent’s IRA to be distributed at death among
    separate conduit trusts for the children. In doing so, each child may use his or her own life
    expectancy for establishing the minimum required distributions for that child’s trust’s share of
    the IRA. In order to accomplish that result, the IRA must be divided at death into separate
    accounts for the various trusts in accordance with Treas. Reg. 1.401(a)(9)-8, A-2(a)(2). A
    sample beneficiary designation form accommodating that approach is attached as well.

SAMPLE CONDUIT TRUST
    ARTICLE XV
    PROVISIONS REGARDING CONDUIT TRUSTS CREATED
    TO HOLD THE SURVIVING TRUSTOR'S RETIREMENT BENEFITS

Section 15.1. Purpose for and Designation of Trusts

A. Notwithstanding any provision of this Trust Agreement to the contrary, in the event an issue of the Trustors survives the Surviving Trustor, the Surviving Trustor intends to provide for (i) each Retirement Benefit owned by such Trustor to pass at such Trustor’s death to one (1) or more Conduit Trusts (as defined below) created under this Trust Agreement for the benefit of the Trustors’ surviving issue, in such shares as such Trustor shall direct in the beneficiary designation form applicable for such Retirement Benefit and (ii) Separate Accounts (within the meaning of Internal Revenue Code Section 401(a)(9) and Treasury Regulation §1.401(a)(9)-8, A-3) to be created from any such Retirement Benefit so allocated to two (2) or more such Conduit Trusts created hereunder to accommodate the allocation so provided in such beneficiary designation.
    B. Each issue of the Trustors for whose primary benefit such a Trust described in Section 15.1.A is to be created shall be referred to in such beneficiary designation and accordingly this instrument as the "Beneficiary" of such Trust, and such Trust shall be named for him or her followed by the words “Exempt Conduit Trust," if the Inclusion Ratio (as defined in Internal Revenue Code (“Code”) Section 2642) of such Trust is zero (0), or “Nonexempt Conduit Trust,” if the Inclusion Ratio of such Trust is one (1), after taking into account the allocation (if any) of the Surviving Trustor’s generation-skipping transfer tax exemption (as set forth in Code Section 2631) thereto. Notwithstanding the preceding, if any such Conduit Trust would otherwise have an Inclusion Ratio greater than zero (0), but less than
    one (1) as of the Surviving Trustor’s death after taking into account the allocation (if any) of the Surviving Trustor’s generation-skipping transfer tax exemption thereto, then such Conduit Trust shall be divided into two (2) separate Conduit Trusts for the benefit of the Beneficiary of such Conduit Trust to be so divided (the “Original Conduit Trust”), and (i) one separate Trust so created shall receive a fractional share of the total value of the Original Conduit Trust equal to its applicable fraction (as defined in Code Section 2642) and shall be named for such Beneficiary followed by the words “Exempt Conduit Trust” and consequently assigned an Inclusion Ratio equal to zero (0) and (ii) the other resulting Trust shall receive that fractional share of the total value of the Original Conduit Trust that is equal to the excess of one (1) over the applicable fraction described in (i) and shall be named for such Beneficiary followed by the words “Nonexempt Conduit Trust” and consequently assigned an Inclusion Ratio equal to one (1). In dividing the Original Conduit Trust, the Trustee shall (as the Trustee shall elect) (a) divide the Original Conduit Trust on a fractional basis or (b) allocate assets to each of the Exempt Conduit Trust and Nonexempt Conduit Trust on a non pro rata basis, provided that in making such allocation, such assets are valued at their respective fair market values as of the date of the severance of such Original Conduit Trust in accordance with Treasury Regulation 26.2642-6(d)(4). Notwithstanding the preceding, for ease of reference, an Exempt Conduit Trust or a Nonexempt Conduit Trust may sometimes be referred to herein simply as a “Conduit Trust” if the context of such reference is applicable regardless of the status of such Trust for generation-skipping transfer tax purposes.

Section 15.2. Distributions During Term of Conduit Trusts. Each year, beginning with the year of the Surviving Trustor's death, the following shall apply with regard to the administration of each Conduit Trust created hereunder.

A. The Trustee of any such Conduit Trust shall withdraw from each of (i) the Surviving Trustor’s Retirement Benefit(s) held by and/or payable to such Conduit Trust (if the beneficiary designation form applicable with respect thereto directs that such be held by and/or payable entirely to such Conduit Trust) and (ii) each Separate Account(s) held by and/or payable to such Conduit Trust, as the case may be, the Minimum Required Distribution applicable thereto for such year and distribute such amount (net of expenses properly charged thereto) as soon as reasonably practicable as follows:

1. The Trustee shall distribute to the Beneficiary such amount of such Minimum Required Distribution as is necessary for the health, education, maintenance, and support of the Beneficiary. To the extent such Minimum Required Distribution is not distributed in its entirety to the Beneficiary under the preceding sentence, it shall be distributed to any one or more of the Beneficiary's living issue as necessary for the health, education, maintenance, and support of any such issue.

2. To the extent such Minimum Required Distribution is not distributed in its entirety in accordance with Section15.2.A.1 above, the Trustee shall distribute the balance of such Minimum Required Distribution to the Beneficiary, or if the Beneficiary is then deceased, to his or her then living issue, per stirpes.

3. The Trustee may also, at any time and from time to time, withdraw from (i) and/or (ii) described above in Section 15.2.A, as applicable, and immediately distribute, such additional amount or amounts (net of expenses properly charged thereto) as the Trustee shall deem necessary for the health, education, maintenance, and support of any or all of the Beneficiary and the issue of the Beneficiary who are living from time to time; provided, however, that in determining whether to make any such distribution to an issue of the 5

Beneficiary, the Surviving Trustor directs the Trustee to be mindful of the Trustors’ intent that the primary purpose of this Trust is to provide for the health, education, maintenance, and support of the Beneficiary during his or her lifetime (subject to the requirement that the Minimum Required Distribution applicable in any year in any event be distributed as set forth above).

4. Any distributions made pursuant to either Section 15.2.A.1 or Section 15.2.A.3 need not be distributed equally between or among, as the case may be, the Beneficiary and his or her issue. In making any such distribution, the Trustee shall consider all other resources available to the proposed recipient of such contemplated distribution (however, the Trustors suggest but do not require that any such distribution to a Beneficiary or any of his or her issue be made first from a Conduit Trust rather than from such Beneficiary’s Exempt Trust or Nonexempt Trust). The Trustors are aware that a distribution to the issue of a Beneficiary from a Nonexempt Conduit Trust might be characterized at the time as a transfer subject to the Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax. The Trustors instruct the Trustee to take this consideration into account, along with the other standards listed above, prior to making any distributions to such issue from a Nonexempt Conduit Trust, if any.

5. Notwithstanding the preceding, the Trustors direct that each of the Conduit Trusts created hereunder shall only bear those expenses of trust administration that can be properly allocable thereto and borne thereby without impairing such Trust’s ability to calculate the Minimum Required Distribution for any Retirement Benefit or Separate Account held by or payable to such Conduit Trust based upon the life expectancy of the Beneficiary of such Conduit Trust (the “Allocable Expenses”). Accordingly, except as provided in this paragraph, the Trustee of a Condui tTrust shall not, after September 30 of the calendar year".......

check out the rest so you may be able to use the format: http://www.texastaxsection.org/LinkC...HI%3D&tabid=80
    Last edited by tobee43; 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

debee:Everything I've read so far suggests that I need and want a Conduit Trust. Another benefit is that if either of my kids grows up to be a moron, the trust protector can stop the distributions and convert the conduit trust into an accumulation trust. And in the event of my death, my kids would be raised by my mother which significantly increases their chances of growing up to be morons.
      i think very doubtful and bite your tongue! maybe time to look around for somone else in you're mother's stead.?
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        i think very doubtful and bite your tongue! maybe time to look around for somone else in you're mother's stead.?
        The kids want to go their Papa. He's alright, but he's married to a dingbat. Hopefully they never end up there. My husband died recently and that got all of us thinking about how little prepared I am. He left a sizable estate in retirement accounts and insurance proceeds. I'd like to preserve that for the boys.

Thanks for the links and info. I had seen this Texas stuff before & LITR also posted this link. It got me thinking when you said that attorneys would have the doc in their computer and just make a few changes and then kick a new one out. Gets me thinking maybe I should pore over this material (& LITR's links and some others I found) and give it a whirl after all. From bold to chicken to bold in a single thread. Like some kind of Anti-hero.

Thanks to you and LITR for posting on this thread!
        There are two secrets for success in life:
        1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

sorry the only one i could get was from TEXAS....so where certain statues are listed you would have to insert you're state's related statues.
          This is a federal income tax issue. The regulations and codes cited are to U.S. Treasury Regulations and the Internal Revenue Code. If it satisfies the IRS, your good to go in California.

debee, I think you should go for it.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            This is a federal income tax issue. The regulations and codes cited are to U.S. Treasury Regulations and the Internal Revenue Code. If it satisfies the IRS, your good to go in California.

debee, I think you should go for it.
            great to know LITR, i didn't know if there were any special tax ramifications in calif.

yeah! go for it!

just a thought for you debee..i'm so sorry as it seems as though you have gone through so much in your life. i am sorry to hear about your husband and know it's most likely been very difficult.

i also know you CAN DO THIS

Comment

just a thought for you debee..i'm so sorry as it seems as though you have gone through so much in your life. i am sorry to hear about your husband and know it's most likely been very difficult. i also know you CAN DO THIS
              Thanks!
              There are two secrets for success in life:
              1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
                Thanks!
                i did want to mention to you, the trust i'm working on now, (i rarely see the billing), however, this was a HUGE trust i have working on and the total cost was under 2k. so i can't imagine if you did go to an atty it would be that costly. that is, if you are having second thoughts about doing it yourself.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X