top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should I stop paying my credit cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When should I stop paying my credit cards?

I am about to file Chapter 7 in the next month or two....I have about $10,000 in cash in my checking account and no other assets....and I live in Georgia. My bankruptcy should be easy...no other assets, no other debts besides credit cards.

I've been paying on these cards for years, and still have 4% and 5% life of the loan interest rates on them.....so for me to miss a payment is really taking a plunge.

Thanks in advance for any help....this forum is great!

Most people stop paying when they know they are going to file. There have been a few people that continue paying up until close to filing, so they don't have those "30 day lates" on their credit report along with the bankruptcy filing. I don't know if it makes much difference in credit scores or not.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

If you're sure that you're going to file within the next couple of months, stop paying the cards now. You are just throwing money away.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Be sure that $10k in cash can be exempted before you file.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X