Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment Benefits on the Chopping Block Maryland Update

December 6, 2010

The U.S. Labor Department announced some dispiriting numbers on Friday. The unemployment rate is now at 9.8 percent, up from 9.6 in October. There were 39,000 new jobs, many fewer than are needed for a recovery.

Here in Maryland, the unemployment rate was 6.9 percent in October; over 220,000 Marylanders are looking for jobs and not finding them. (November numbers will be released December 17.)

The Obama administration is pushing Congress to renew the federal unemployment benefit extension, but Republicans do not want to enact any new spending that isn’t offset elsewhere in the budget. There’s talk inside the Beltway of a deal that would tie this legislation to tax cut legislation, in which Democrats would accept a two-year across the board extension of the Bush tax cuts, including for the very wealthy, and Republicans would accept a year-long extension of unemployment benefits.

A report from the Obama administration’s Council of Economic Advisers claims that failing to renew the extension will hurt the economy. They released a report that says 600,000 jobs would be lost—close to 6,000 here in Maryland—and 65,000 unemployed Marylanders would lose benefits by next year.

Two million Americans are watching to see if Congress will extend benefits. What would it mean for the country—and for Maryland—if Congress does not? To grapple with that question, Sheilah talks with Jason Perkins-Cohen, executive director of Baltimore’s Job Opportunities Task Force, which advocates for low-income, low-skill workers; and with Christopher Summers, president of the Maryland Public Policy Institute, which promotes free-market, limited government policies.

We hear several perspectives on what could happen to Maryland’s economy, and its unemployed residents, if the federal unemployment benefit extension is not renewed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for those unemployed in maryland, here's a bit of info....i was really surprised to see maryland having 6.9% in oct...., that seemed to me a bit lower than the "harder" hit states.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

tobee, I put an article in another thread that says it is very likely the house and senate will do a compromise before Xmas that will extend the tax cuts for everyone for 2 more years and 1 year unemployment compensation. This isn't a guarantee, but looks likely to happen. This is similar to the post I put up over a month ago saying the same thing.

I would be happy for a 1 year extension to unemployment as I don't think its fair to keep putting the unemployed through this hell every few months to see whether they will be extended or not. We know for sure that it will take 4 or 5 years for most of the jobs to come back at a rate to keep up with the unemployment (or put that percentage down to a respectable level).

So if it will take years for this high number to go down, the least we can do is extend the benefits for the unemployed until they can land a job.

Comment

The country would be better off in the long run if all of the Bush tax cuts expired. Having said that, if the argument is that you should not raise taxes on anyone during this recession, then likewise you should not cut off unemployment in this recession. What they should do is calculate how much extending unemployment cost and whatever that number is should be the level at which you set the cutoff for allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire. Thus, if it costs $50 billion a year to extend unemployment and say that much revenue is generated by allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire on taxable income above like $510k then that should be the number. And both extensions should be for the same period. Once the economy has improved to an acceptable level they should all expire so we can start paying down the debt.

Comment

yes, i think we posted separate threads with respect to this about the same time frame, since we were going through the same situation...

i just hope it does go through....what a trade off!!! really gets me!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post
          The country would be better off in the long run if all of the Bush tax cuts expired. Having said that, if the argument is that you should not raise taxes on anyone during this recession, then likewise you should not cut off unemployment in this recession. What they should do is calculate how much extending unemployment cost and whatever that number is should be the level at which you set the cutoff for allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire. Thus, if it costs $50 billion a year to extend unemployment and say that much revenue is generated by allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire on taxable income above like $510k then that should be the number. And both extensions should be for the same period. Once the economy has improved to an acceptable level they should all expire so we can start paying down the debt.
          actually...i was listening to ccn news this weekend and it was said that it was reported that some stimulus monies went to European banks....to HELP them bale out their woes....maybe if we didn't go out lending money and kept it HERE, in the US where it belongs, the government would have had the funds needed to extend the unemployment and not have to hold the unemployed hostage over tax cuts.

taxes are a necessary evil...however, when i hear my brother complaining to me...(he makes....SIT DOWN FOR THIS ONE).....$66,0000.....this is sixty six thousand dollars a MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it complaining about maybe having to pay...what a 3% increase in taxes...please.

Comment

tobee, I here that. It can be difficult to listen to wealthy relatives complaining about money problems!!! I also think we give out so many loans to nations, trying to be the world leader, yet China is just building up wealth, stealing our technology, taking our jobs, and of course lending us all the money so they can one day hold leverage over who we are and how we act as a country!

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
              tobee, I here that. It can be difficult to listen to wealthy relatives complaining about money problems!!! I also think we give out so many loans to nations, trying to be the world leader, yet China is just building up wealth, stealing our technology, taking our jobs, and of course lending us all the money so they can one day hold leverage over who we are and how we act as a country!
              helpme!!!!!!!!! my husband JUST HEARD that unemployment JUST passed for another 13 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they extended the tax cuts too!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                oh...sorry...got carried away!...i know all our jobs are going over seas and leaving nothing for us...i'm telling you, i'm thinking i will never get another job...after all who the heck wants and old paralegal that can't even type anymore!! LOL!!

Comment

What are we going to do in 13 months, demand another extension ??? I know this isn't popular opinion on these boards but there will come a time when these benefits need to be stopped instead of extension after extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatstick View Post
                    What are we going to do in 13 months, demand another extension ??? I know this isn't popular opinion on these boards but there will come a time when these benefits need to be stopped instead of extension after extension.
                    meatstick...i actually very much agree with you...however, without the creation of some jobs what are some going to do.

both of us in this house are now too old...or so we have been told on a few occasions and although....we were both upper and middle management level people....we really cannot "re train ourselves ...for what we are trained in many areas..frankly most walmarts don't want master degree people...or lately we have been joking we need to go back to Burger University for yet another useless degree...

my point is your point...this is certainly NO solution to the problem...it is indeed scary that no one seems to have the answers. i also agree throwing money at something doesn't always "fix" the problem...you're right...what happens after those 13 months and still no jobs. well, then it's going to end up costing the tax payers even more when those unemployable people now have to go into the welfare systems and medicaid systems....that's going to cost even more than unemployment..i believe. what are we going to do????????

Comment

It is a crappy situation that is for sure. I certainly wouldn't depend on welfare or medicaid. If the economy doesn't turn around and create more jobs you will start seeing even more deep cuts to some spending programs. Unfortunately it is political suicide to deny these benefit extensions and that is why I beleive they appear to have been extended.

This "Great Recession" has crippled the middle-class and our standard of living has been changed forever. Once those decent paying jobs leave they never come back.

good luck with your job hunt.

Comment

Many people will think, in reading the news, that everyone getting unemployment is getting an extra 13 months. That is of course, not the case. Obama is simply proposing extending the PROGRAM for 13 months. "Benefit" levels are not being extended.

And, after a certain number of months (which differs by state), people DO get cut-off of unemployment. And even with this extension of the federal emergency program, plenty of people will get totally cut off (just google "99ers")

Without this program, most people would get just their states 6 months. And with there being one job opening for every five people looking for work, that just is not enough.
                        Chap 7 Report of No Distribution 12/2/2010. I'm in the 60 day club : )

Comment

It is a crappy situation that is for sure. I certainly wouldn't depend on welfare or medicaid. If the economy doesn't turn around and create more jobs you will start seeing even more deep cuts to some spending programs. Unfortunately it is political suicide to deny these benefit extensions and that is why I beleive they appear to have been extended.

This "Great Recession" has crippled the middle-class and our standard of living has been changed forever. Once those decent paying jobs leave they never come back.

good luck with your job hunt.
                          thanks so much meatstick...i appreciate that. i'll be looking...most likely forever and a day. our next move is we are thinking and in the planning stages of attempting to start a business ourselves...i really don't want to do that, but we figure it may we worth a try. something that we need very little start money. that's what we have been leaning towards since like you pointed out these decent paying jobs will most likely never ever come back.

Comment

Originally posted by kel9000 View Post
                            Many people will think, in reading the news, that everyone getting unemployment is getting an extra 13 months. That is of course, not the case. Obama is simply proposing extending the PROGRAM for 13 months. "Benefit" levels are not being extended.

And, after a certain number of months (which differs by state), people DO get cut-off of unemployment. And even with this extension of the federal emergency program, plenty of people will get totally cut off (just google "99ers")

Without this program, most people would get just their states 6 months. And with there being one job opening for every five people looking for work, that just is not enough.
                            kel...yes, i believe IF and only IF the state you reside is over the national average or above a certain percentage level...or something to that effect that you are entitled to the extended benefits. it is our understanding via our unemployment office that this extension, that is being considered is for the 99er's....

we were not even to our 52 week and we were told it was going to stop....at first...then the personnel at the unemployment office, no...are stats are high enough that you will qualify for the next tier...presently we are at tier 2.

personally, we are in a state that unemployment rate is 11.9%....i think we are three or fouth highest unemployment is the country. we have not hit our 99 weeks....not even close...so now we were advised if this bill passes....we would get the extension ONLY if the state continues the high rate of unemployment...that is the only way we would be eligible to qualify for the extensions.

Comment

I'm glad you are all posting to this thread. I have not heard the extension went through yet. But I did take off for most of the day. I am ready to pop a bottle of my $1.99 Charles Schab wine in celebration. Regarding the 13 months, this had better be for everyone and not some weird set of loop holes. This is the time for Obama to demand some time for ALL unemployed if the republicans want their rich people tax cut. If Obama and the Dems don't demand a lengthy time extension, then this entire thing will just come up again in 3 - 4 months.

Regarding the comment about what to do after 13 months, think of it this way, it buys you more time and hopefully within that time, many people will be able to find a job, whereas there will also be a batch of people that do not. At least this helps the first batch find a job in that time, so they are covered. The batch that can't find a job, well, we extend it some more for them. It's better than kicking them to the streets, watch them lose their family, and simply die homeless.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X