Rising Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FilingOnMyOwn View Post
    Its independent retailers doing whatever they want. Many gas station owners own several stations, but not in a row all at the same place. Some places run on a 4% commission, some 8%, some .25$ flat, some just charge whatever they want. Bottom line is, people can decide when and where to spend their money. I'm sure this link is on here somewhere, but here it is again, the best gas price website... Decide where to buy your gas BEFORE you leave your house: http://www.gasbuddy.com/
    I'm sure this is very true...but this is happening because of the big wigs that own/operate the refineries. The rapid fluctuation of gas prices are completely absurd! Prices literally change within hours!
    The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
      I'm sure this is very true...but this is happening because of the big wigs that own/operate the refineries. The rapid fluctuation of gas prices are completely absurd! Prices literally change within hours!
      As long as crude & gasoline futures are traded on the open markets, thats the way it will be.

Comment

As long as crude & gasoline futures are traded on the open markets, thats the way it will be.
        I think you're misunderstanding my argument. Fuel prices haven't been this volatile, since the alleged, global fuel crisis. This corporate price gouging has gotten completely out of control now. Cost of products and service will inevitablely increase, but whats occuring with fuel prices is completely atrocious.
        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Good news is I did manage to get gas this morning for $2.05 but when I really look at this situation, it's completely pathetic that I'm paying more than $2.00 per gallon for gas!

Comment

I think you're misunderstanding my argument. Fuel prices haven't been this volatile, since the alleged, global fuel crisis. This corporate price gouging has gotten completely out of control now. Cost of products and service will inevitablely increase, but whats occuring with fuel prices is completely atrocious.
            It could differ regionally. It hasn't really been that volatile where I live most of the time, only about 2-3 times a year when the major uptrends/downtrends occur.

Comment

Now does this really indicate that there's a fuel crisis?

Exxon Mobil posts $10.49B profit in 3Q (yahoo.news.com)

Comment

Now does this really indicate that there's a fuel crisis?

Exxon Mobil posts $10.49B profit in 3Q (yahoo.news.com)
                Thats nothing. Actually a good thing. America sends $500 Billion a year overseas to purchase crude oil for gasoline. Wouldn't you rather some of it actually stay here? If american oil companies and refineries were greedier, people would save and conserve more fuel, buy hybrids and smaller vehicles, and less $ would be going overseas to purchase fossil fuels from all of our enemies that want to kill us with our own money.

Comment

Thats nothing. Actually a good thing. America sends $500 Billion a year overseas to purchase crude oil for gasoline. Wouldn't you rather some of it actually stay here? If american oil companies and refineries were greedier, people would save and conserve more fuel, buy hybrids and smaller vehicles, and less $ would be going overseas to purchase fossil fuels from all of our enemies that want to kill us with our own money.
                  This is major, what this means is WE are being unneccisarily overcharged for fuel, by American refineries. These bozos having been earning record breaking profits since the recent fuel spikes. The increase in the cost of fuel, is understood and expected reality. But a spike like the one we're experiencing is completely unjustifiable. Most importantly, the United States only gets rouigly 1/4 of it's fuel from the Middle East, so that's pretty much irrelevant. The majority of the U.S. fuel comes from us, and central America.
                  Last edited by HRx; 10-27-2006, 02:15 AM.

Comment

This is major, what this means is WE are being unneccisarily overcharged for fuel, by American refineries. These bozos having been earning record breaking profits since the recent fuel spikes. The increase in the cost of fuel, is understood and expected reality. But a spike like the one we're experiencing is completely unjustifiable. Most importantly, the United States only gets rouigly 1/4 of it's fuel from the Middle East, so that's pretty much irrelevant. The majority of the U.S. fuel comes from us, and central America.
                    Still, its mostly imported. The reason our economy sucks so bad compared to our best years is not because of high fuel prices... Its because of a massive trade deficit, all our money is going overseas to other countries, making them rich instead of keeping the money here. We need to keep every penny we can in the US, and if higher fuel prices make people stop driving massive trucks and suvs even when they're single and don't haul or tow anything, demand will fall and so will fuel prices.

Comment

By - Tinroofrusted

Second, President Bush, and his conflict of interest. Mr. Bush and his family are oil tycoons. They have made MILLIONS in oil, the selling of oil, in oil stock, and so on and so forth. Exxon Mobil just posted that they had 30 BILLION dollars in earnings the last quarter. Well my response to that is, where are Mr. Bush's tax returns? We know damn well that he is making millions off the suffering of others having to pay damn near $3.50 a gallon all summer long while he reaps the benefits. I am more concerned about this than I am about the war in Iraq. This is as much of a dictatorship as a democrasy. In no uncertain circumstances should a country's leader get rich, while the people of his country get poorer and poorer. It's insane. And finally, if Exxon Mobil is making that much profit, there is no reason whatsoever, that gas prices couldn't and SHOULDN'T go back down to $1.00 a gallon. They would still make millions and millions.
                      An interesting comment by Tin

Comment

Thank you.

I like to think that I can come up with interesting points to add in all conversations!
                        BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

By - Tinroofrusted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
                          Second, President Bush, and his conflict of interest. Mr. Bush and his family are oil tycoons. They have made MILLIONS in oil, the selling of oil, in oil stock, and so on and so forth. Exxon Mobil just posted that they had 30 BILLION dollars in earnings the last quarter. Well my response to that is, where are Mr. Bush's tax returns? We know damn well that he is making millions off the suffering of others having to pay damn near $3.50 a gallon all summer long while he reaps the benefits. I am more concerned about this than I am about the war in Iraq. This is as much of a dictatorship as a democrasy. In no uncertain circumstances should a country's leader get rich, while the people of his country get poorer and poorer. It's insane. And finally, if Exxon Mobil is making that much profit, there is no reason whatsoever, that gas prices couldn't and SHOULDN'T go back down to $1.00 a gallon. They would still make millions and millions.

Interesting, yet mildly ridiculous. First of all, you can't blame just one person for high energy costs. Its the hundreds of millions of americans who choose to drive a V8 powered pickup truck or suv that gets 10-15 miles a gallon instead of an efficient 4 or 6 cylinder sedan that gets 30+ mpg. If demand was lower prices would fall through the floor. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing these people driving big ass trucks and complaining at the gas station about the price. Are these knuckheads too ignorant to understand THEY ARE THE REASON gas prices are high, not exxon mobil or bp. And btw 30 billion in a quarter was revenue, not earnings. Profit is not the same as revenue. Gasoline will always sell at a 50% premium to its wholesale trading value on the mercantile exchange. For ex. current market value 1.50 = $2.25 at the pump. Regardless of who you buy it from, exxon, bp, shell, whoever. Now mr Bush and his cronies did have some ties with halliburton and big oil, but it would be foolish to think he would intentionally destroy the US economy with high energy costs and willingly send money overseas just to make a little extra money. Its well known that iraq is a big mistake at this point and was to begin with, and sent energy costs higher. But the bottom line is that its a supplly and demand driven market. If americans really want to pay less at the pump, they will shut their mouth, take action, and drive the most fuel efficient vehicles possible to save and conserve fuel for our fellow americans. Noone has any right to complain about fuel costs whatsover when they are driving a vehicle that could fuel 3 compact sedans, talk about the epitomy of ignorance and greed.

Comment

Interesting, yet mildly ridiculous. First of all, you can't blame just one person for high energy costs. Its the hundreds of millions of americans who choose to drive a V8 powered pickup truck or suv that gets 10-15 miles a gallon instead of an efficient 4 or 6 cylinder sedan that gets 30+ mpg. If demand was lower prices would fall through the floor. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing these people driving big ass trucks and complaining at the gas station about the price. Are these knuckheads too ignorant to understand THEY ARE THE REASON gas prices are high, not exxon mobil or bp. And btw 30 billion in a quarter was revenue, not earnings. Profit is not the same as revenue. Gasoline will always sell at a 50% premium to its wholesale trading value on the mercantile exchange. For ex. current market value 1.50 = $2.25 at the pump. Regardless of who you buy it from, exxon, bp, shell, whoever. Now mr Bush and his cronies did have some ties with halliburton and big oil, but it would be foolish to think he would intentionally destroy the US economy with high energy costs and willingly send money overseas just to make a little extra money. Its well known that iraq is a big mistake at this point and was to begin with, and sent energy costs higher. But the bottom line is that its a supplly and demand driven market. If americans really want to pay less at the pump, they will shut their mouth, take action, and drive the most fuel efficient vehicles possible to save and conserve fuel for our fellow americans. Noone has any right to complain about fuel costs whatsover when they are driving a vehicle that could fuel 3 compact sedans, talk about the epitomy of ignorance and greed.

Actually, I personally found nothing ridiculous about my statement, nor did I ever accuse any ONE person for the reason gas prices are so high. Read back through what I said please.

Let's talk money, shall we? The love of money is the root of all things evil. Therefore, I wouldn't put it past anyone in even a small position of power to rip people off single handedly, and blindly, if their pockets would be getting fatter from it. I have no doubt in my mind that someone in the oil business that was leading this country; we are one of the largest oil consumers in the world.

I am not a tree hugger, nor a conservationist, so I believe part of our troubles lie with the fact that people who would rather give money to terrorists, are ok with us NOT drilling in a very small patch of tundra that is practically desolate, so that we can become self sufficient with oil.

I also believe that oil is a renewable energy source, and that it won't be running out.... ever. If it comes from the earth, and the earth is constantly shuffling things around, creating diamonds, and creating new land via volcanos, it is probably shuffling around creating oil as well. All the hype of running out is just that; hype.
                            BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

Originally posted by tinroofrusted View Post
                              Actually, I personally found nothing ridiculous about my statement, nor did I ever accuse any ONE person for the reason gas prices are so high. Read back through what I said please.

Let's talk money, shall we? The love of money is the root of all things evil. Therefore, I wouldn't put it past anyone in even a small position of power to rip people off single handedly, and blindly, if their pockets would be getting fatter from it. I have no doubt in my mind that someone in the oil business that was leading this country; we are one of the largest oil consumers in the world.

I am not a tree hugger, nor a conservationist, so I believe part of our troubles lie with the fact that people who would rather give money to terrorists, are ok with us NOT drilling in a very small patch of tundra that is practically desolate, so that we can become self sufficient with oil.

I also believe that oil is a renewable energy source, and that it won't be running out.... ever. If it comes from the earth, and the earth is constantly shuffling things around, creating diamonds, and creating new land via volcanos, it is probably shuffling around creating oil as well. All the hype of running out is just that; hype.
                              Yes, but you're forgetting that our earth now holds 6+ billion people, most of whom live in unindustrialized places. And its those places where the population is multiplying by leaps and bounds. The worlds population growth and demand for fossil fuels far outpaces the earths ability to create new oil, and its simply a matter of time before it starts running out. 10 years or 100 years, it will run out eventually, trust me.

Comment

Welp...the prices in my area range from $2.08 to $2.13 for the 87 octane gas.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X