No announcement yet.

Used Car Prices :How High Is Too High?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, shipo , I wish all this 2013 Sentra needed was transmission fluid, LOL!
    My husband took it to both the dealer and a nearby Pep Boys (which regularly serviced the two cars during our BK13 in Colorado) and neither could find out what was causing the knocking noises whenever he was driving slowly and turning the wheel, parking and leaving parking spots, etc. Pep Boys did not (or could not) explain (?) what was causing the leak near the transmission, but it is somehow connected. There are no greasy stains under the car where it is parked so it may be something else entirely.
    I think the point is that my husband is tired of d*****king around with this obvious lemon and just wants something newer and in better shape so we can get on with our lives.
    We need to go to other dealerships but with a very demanding job and a long commute ,it's hard for him to find the time to look around as much as we should!
    He has the left door handle duct-taped in order to open it and the passenger side one sticks and I usually have to struggle mighily to get it open. There are many other things wrong, and it's clear we need to get rid of it ASAP! We probably spent more than 10K keeping it running during our BK13 and we don't want to waste any more money on it now that we can actually pay cash for a much newer car.
    A rental would cost 1K per week. (We just got these cars back from the auto transport service last Wed. evening and my husband had to pay for a Sentra rental sedan until then.(His company should reimburse him since he had no choice in the matter since he had to drive daily to work.))
    To say we're fed up is an understatement ................
    Last edited by Barbisi; 06-07-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Reading about the Sentra and the noise heard when turning, my first inclination is "axles", quite honestly, even given the remote possibility of the noise being part of the suspension, whoever told you it was struts was probably an idiot.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

One axle was replaced.. the one that broke.
        oh and, awesome... the little push button on the driver door for unlocking just popped off. Greeeaaaat. This happened when I opened it.

Comment

Kind cool to see the entire door handle structure, internal and external, even though it is unintended, before I have to push it all back together so the door can open.
          I suppose I could spend more money replacing the other axle, then if that doesnt work, maybe keep spending til the knocking stops.
          Or I could trade it in now before I have a total catastrophic meltdown and set the damn thing on fire.
          Fed up, in summary. kinda like a hangnail you cant deal with for-ever.

Comment

Reading this I think I will be trading in this 2019 Sentra sooner than later! First to get my husband a car late summer/early fall and maybe trade my Sentra in spring.

I sure hope the salesman was right when he said that this 2019 would have a good trade in value and it has the extended warranty--which according to the dealership was the reason we got the car loan at a decent interest (not great interest, but not sky high) because they could get their money back in the worst case scenario--accident or we if we didn't pay the loan.

Speaking of accidents I almost got T-boned yesterday. It's bad enough I get very anxious any time a car gets too close since my car was totaled. I was in the curb lane minding my own business driving along my merry way. the lane next to me (same direction) was all backed up/not moving. Some not so good Samaritans decided it was nice not to block Raisin' Cane and McDonald's driveways. But mind you they were NOT in the curb lane. First as I was happily driving I see a car creeping between two cars coming my direction, but it was slow as molasses so it didn't freak me out too much, but THEN about 2 or 3 car lengths later this woman comes like nobody's business between two other cars. I had room to swerve closer to the curb and she was just a scared as me I could see her face so she slammed on her brakes. She stopped about 2 feet away from me.
            I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Dang Carmella ... that was close! I am on the lookout for shortcuts and minimal traffic paths; lots to learn here for sure!
              So, the 2013 Sentras were the 'worst' for transmissions apparently. Your 2019 is 6 revisions newer, and 3 years old now, so you should be ok. With the extended warranty, many failures may be covered which is good. But, yeah, per @shipo's mention of Nissan being on the low end of reliability, replacing sooner rather than later would be a good thing if you can.
              We got a quote for an extended warranty: $3575 for 100K/72 months; this includes a $500 discount since we would pay cash. We will check with Geico to see if they still offer that type of warranty. This price may be ok, *IF* we keep the car for that amount of miles/months. $3575/72 = $49.65 per month over 72 months. We will sleep on it.

Comment

Carmella that is simply terrifying -thank heavens you weren't in another accident and maybe hurt this time! So, so scary!
                That is why the more I think about it, I think this is the best one we can get right now and we could be just one drive away from a horrible accident. And I still need a car too, therefore the sooner Zombie 13 gets a safe car he actually likes, the sooner I can get a decent little sedan I can be comfortable with as well.
                I think your 2019 Sentra will be Ok as long as you don't drive it too long - remember my 2005 Sentra (purchased in Fall 2004) was a good car for at least 10+ years and yours is only 3 years old!
                Thank you shipo for your advice and patience answering all our questions- with out your comments, we might not have discovered Mazda! Now for some free time to look at the Mazda sedans and make it over to the Toyota car lot.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X