Car Buying Experience Post 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Buying Experience Post 13

I absolutely hate car shopping, mostly because we have been severely uneducated on how to do so up until now. We knew we would both need new cars once our bk was over and our Altima (with 210k miles on it) finally had that last thing go wrong that we did not want to keep fixing. TLDR version: We got $1500 on our trade for the Nissan, put 14k down, and financed for 60 months at 6.4% with Capital One.

Along with our bk being discharged back in August we have had a decent financial change in our favor, so we decided to start the process now. We were pre-qualified with the Capital One Auto Navigator. Husband found a truck that he liked, so we went to the dealership last night and 2.5 hours later we left with that truck (Chevy Silvarado 1500 RST). The dealership could not beat the Cap 1 rate so that's who we ended up financing with. It was the smoothest car buying process we have ever been through; I was honestly shocked. Good luck to everyone out there buying!

Thanks brokenurse, oddly enough, I am picking up my new Toyota Tacoma in a couple of hours. I got lucky, I was able to qualify for financing from Toyota Financial Services and got an astounding 2.49% rate for 48 months; the best my two credit unions could do was 4.54% (Navy Fed), and better as well compared to any of the financial institutions my dealership often does business with.

Good luck with your two new cars.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
      Thanks brokenurse, oddly enough, I am picking up my new Toyota Tacoma in a couple of hours. I got lucky, I was able to qualify for financing from Toyota Financial Services and got an astounding 2.49% rate for 48 months; the best my two credit unions could do was 4.54% (Navy Fed), and better as well compared to any of the financial institutions my dealership often does business with.

Good luck with your two new cars.
      Thanks! I hope you love your new ride. I know you've been waiting on it for a bit from the factory.

Comment

Congratulations to you both on getting what you wanted at a great rate!
        I think we had much to overcome with the semi- cross country move almost immediately after discharge but just before closing - when we bought our two cars in June, we didn't yet have a Capital One credit offer or Auto Navigator deal, so we were definitely at the mercy of the dealership, given how few cars were available at the time and just how bad a shape both cars were in and the fact we literally needed newer vehicles ASAP.
        We got 2k for the 2013 Nissan Sentra trade in, brokenurse, and paid cash outright for the Mazda, but got no trade-in for the 2005 Sentra and financed with Toyota at a high 8% rate which, while apparently not good, did allow us to get our first post- BK13 Capital One card with a high credit line shortly afterwards.
        The plan is to pay off that loan before we trade the car in (in a few short years). Of course, we put down about 80% of the 25K+ price tag so we would have a low payment.
        At least we had the cash from the home sale in Colorado to pay for both cars, if necessary, but financing one seems to have helped our credit quite a bit.
        shipo , I'm not in the least surprised by how splendidly you planned your new car purchase - you learned well at the door of hard knocks that is BK13 and you have passed on your incredible fount of fiercely won knowledge to the BK7/13 community, and we are all the luckier for it.
        Last edited by Barbisi; 10-19-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Here's a picture of the new ride and a partial shot of my old Acura TL (the blue sedan) in the background; enjoying it so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RightFront-Under2MB.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1032917
          Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbisi View Post
            Congratulations to you both on getting what you wanted at a great rate!
            I think we had much to overcome with the semi- cross country move almost immediately after discharge but just before closing - when we bought our two cars in June, we didn't yet have a Capital One credit offer or Auto Navigator deal, so we were definitely at the mercy of the dealership, given how few cars were available at the time and just how bad a shape both cars were in and the fact we literally needed newer vehicles ASAP.
            We got 2k for the 2013 Nissan Sentra trade in, brokenurse, and paid cash outright for the Mazda, but got no trade-in for the 2005 Sentra and financed with Toyota at a high 8% rate which, while apparently not good, did allow us to get our first post- BK13 Capital One card with a high credit line shortly afterwards.
            The plan is to pay off that loan before we trade the car in (in a few short years). Of course, we put down about 80% of the 25K+ price tag so we would have a low payment.
            At least we had the cash from the home sale in Colorado to pay for both cars, if necessary, but financing one seems to have helped our credit quite a bit.
            shipo , I'm not in the least surprised by how splendidly you planned your new car purchase - you learned well at the door of hard knocks that is BK13 and you have passed on your incredible fount of fiercely won knowledge to the BK7/13 community, and we are all the luckier for it.
            I think being at the mercy of the dealership in terms of financing is where my car buying anxiety stems from. I was never an informed consumer and never got pre approved before going car shopping so I was like blood in the water for them lol. This time we did our homework and it paid off for us.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
              Here's a picture of the new ride and a partial shot of my old Acura TL (the blue sedan) in the background; enjoying it so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RightFront-Under2MB.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1032917
              Awesome truck! I am a truck lover myself. Congratulations!

Comment

Thanks folks, this is my first nice new vehicle in over 20 years and I'm really pleased with the purchase. That said, the old Acura in the background got me through the last two years of my Chapter 13 and was an absolute joy to drive with it's smooth as butter 6-Speed Manual, and I'm really going to miss it.
                Latent car nut.

Comment

shipo Finally! Love seeing the truck. When my husband got his car the lady told us she just got a truck in the person was waiting from April for it.

brokenurse Congrats on your husband's truck!
                  I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Thanks Carmella!
                    Latent car nut.

Comment

brokenurse - congratz on the fresh rides!
                      shipo - hell yeah just look at that beautiful beast! I have lost track of your wait time. You have the patience of a saint.
                      Barbisi drove a couple times in WA, in the rain, with no defroster, windows down, can't see the broad side of a barn... omg; so glad we got our handsome $250 for that car, even though they sold it for $3500... how in the name of Oz I don't know...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X