Credit Card Woes......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Woes......

OK, so now that I'm discharged and will begin rebuilding credit again soon I have a query. The list below shows who I had accounts with and bankrupted on, so who's left to give me a card now to start rebuilding? LOL

- BOA
    - Juniper
    - Citi
    - Target
    - HSBC
    - Merrick (although their account was 9 years old when I filed and long ago turned over to a collection agency)
    - Dell
    - Chase
    - Capital One

I think that's it....so anyone have any suggestions?
    Filed 12/20/07 [X] 341 meeting 1/15/08 [X] Trustee Declines to Dismiss 2/25/08 [X] DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 03/19/08 [ X ]

Originally posted by jdmc1973 View Post
    OK, so now that I'm discharged and will begin rebuilding credit again soon I have a query. The list below shows who I had accounts with and bankrupted on, so who's left to give me a card now to start rebuilding? LOL

- BOA
    - Juniper
    - Citi
    - Target
    - HSBC
    - Merrick (although their account was 9 years old when I filed and long ago turned over to a collection agency)
    - Dell
    - Chase
    - Capital One

I think that's it....so anyone have any suggestions?
    Try Orchard Bank. Many swear by it as a solid credit rebuilding tool. Be sure to clean up your credit reports first, though. All your accounts should show zero balance and IIB.
    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

My husband and I each go an Orchard right at discharge, and we bk'ed 2 orchard cards. You can start there! : ) Congrats on the discharge!
      Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;
      341 Meetings: 11/28/05, 3/20/06, 12/4/07 (3d time's a charm!)
      Converted: 2/15/06 (to CH13), 10/15/07 (Back to CH7)
      DISCHARGED: 2/15/08

Comment

Yes I agree with the others Orchard is a good start. Citibank will blacklst you . Capital One will give you a second chance BUT wait until you BK has been discharged awhile and then they usually approve. Try to stay away from all the fee cards like first premier, imagine, tribute etc.

Comment

I recommend Orchard Bank and Washington Mutual. You will probably never be able to get a credit card again with Citibank or Chase or any store affiliated with the bank (i.e., Chase or Citibank handling a store credit card). I have heard they blacklist BK filers even beyond the 10 year mark when it comes off your credit reports.

When/if you start to get new cards, do not every again be late with payments or have any nonpayments. Be diligent and it will pay off.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            When/if you start to get new cards, do not every again be late with payments or have any nonpayments. Be diligent and it will pay off.

I'm curious - of those who have been discharged and taken on new credit, have you found yourself getting in over your head again? Do you use the card? If so, do you pay the balance each month or carry a balance?

We have been living without credit for so long (not by our choice at first, of course ) that it's just unimaginable to think of getting more.

ann
            ann

Comment

Originally posted by ann1073 View Post
              I'm curious - of those who have been discharged and taken on new credit, have you found yourself getting in over your head again? Do you use the card? If so, do you pay the balance each month or carry a balance?

We have been living without credit for so long (not by our choice at first, of course ) that it's just unimaginable to think of getting more.

ann

There was a time when I did not want to see another credit card again. However, they are a necessity in life if you want to rent a car, if you travel, need a hotel, etc. Also they are needed for emergencies. We have two department store credit cards and a Mastercard and Visa. None carry balances. We use them and pay them off immediately. The Mastercard or Visa comes in handy for car repairs or household repairs. We mostly use our debit card tied into our checking account. Before we filed BK, every card imaginable was after us as we had marvelous credit; we did not have to get them but we did; and when the job loss it, it just took us down over a year's time. We will never put ourselves in that position again and make every effort to avoid purchsing things we just do not need.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Be careful though...Orchard is HSBC...same company.

Comment

Well, Orchard Bank approved me for $500 CL, $39 annual fee. That's good enough for me right now, I just wanted something to get me started rebuilding.
                  Filed 12/20/07 [X] 341 meeting 1/15/08 [X] Trustee Declines to Dismiss 2/25/08 [X] DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 03/19/08 [ X ]

Comment

Very good then! They are good about raising your credit limit too. My DH has an Orchard card and it started out with a $750 limit. He got it a year ago, and after about 6 months of using it and paying it down, he stopped using it all together. The balance is low, and we'd just pay the minimum or a bit more each month. Well after about 4 months of non-use and payments only, they raised his limit to $1200. Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by bkdone View Post
                      Very good then! They are good about raising your credit limit too. My DH has an Orchard card and it started out with a $750 limit. He got it a year ago, and after about 6 months of using it and paying it down, he stopped using it all together. The balance is low, and we'd just pay the minimum or a bit more each month. Well after about 4 months of non-use and payments only, they raised his limit to $1200. Nice!!
                      Update to my own post... Just went online to pay my DH's cc bill...they increased the limit another $300 within the past few days. We didnt even know... Orchard has been good to us! Really!

Comment

I also recommend the Orchard Bank card. My husband and I each got one after filing. I also would recommend Credit One Bank....

Comment

I just got an Orchard card, too, post bankruptcy. Do they ever switch you over to a non-annual fee card down the road? I just hate having to pay that. But I also realize it's a necessary evil for us.
                          11/29/2007 - Filed Ch 7
                          01/08/2008 - 341 Hearing
                          03/12/2008 - Discharged
                          03/21/2008 - Closed

Comment

Originally posted by jdmc1973 View Post
                            Well, Orchard Bank approved me for $500 CL, $39 annual fee. That's good enough for me right now, I just wanted something to get me started rebuilding.
                            Good job! Now just use it wisely!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CLEAR4579 View Post
                              I also recommend the Orchard Bank card. My husband and I each got one after filing. I also would recommend Credit One Bank....

Credit One has VERY high signup fees!
                              Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X