Just prepared taxes with tax prep sw; situation is better than expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just prepared taxes with tax prep sw; situation is better than expected

So I used tax prep software to do the taxes, and much to our surprise, we are getting a 'large to us' refund. By my prior manual calculations, I figured, we'd break even, or get $100 or so. I reviewed the tax-prep generated PDF document and saw this: "Excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld". A Google search revealed, this happens if we change jobs, with increase in income, etc. So, it's legit. I was worried I had a typo in numbers I entered.
    Barbisi and I discussed changing our allowances etc. to get more money thru the year but, this job change doesn't happen often and, each allowance amounts to around $12 every two weeks or so; not worth the hassle anyway.
    So, for now, we will leave it the way it is.
    We thought we would owe, due to job change, relocation, home sale (not an issue; already knew since < 500K profit), stupid 401K loan that we defaulted on and owed taxes on the 'income' (the 401k management company put the 401K into a blackout period; therefore I could not make payments, view the account etc then suddenly, oh yeah... my fault for not paying the bill... absolutely brilliant).
    Anyway, on to the next step.

I paid excess FICA in both 2021 and 2022 due to a job change (2021) and a latent bonus from the previous company (2022), that money is always refunded in full.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Good to know. I was concerned about incorrectly entering a number somewhere.
      Next thing we need to do is figure out whether to merge the 401K's. I think I have 3 now... and I think they are all with the same management company so perhaps it would be fairly straightforward to merge them all together.
      Also thinking ahead - in a couple years I will be eligible to collect my pension.... maaaaan.... saying that makes me feel oooooold... lol! Well at least now I can say, when I was your age... we did that uphill... both ways! And by golly we liked it!
      So with the pension we are considering, taking the single payment, and investing it. Somehow... that's the part we have to fill in.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X