top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you been a victim of a Diploma Mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you been a victim of a Diploma Mill?

This question occurred to me while I was responding to another student loan question. I got to thinking: How many of you out there have in good faith applied for a student loan with the intention of:

1. Going to college in the first place
    2. Going back to college to finish your degree
    3. Return to take periodic courses to keep your *whatever* certificate up to date
    4. Return to college to get a new certificate in your field
    5. Return to college to learn a new set of skills

And you have gotten said student loan, and everything appears to be going well.

You have finished your schooling, or are somewhere in the middle of it, or you are making payments on your loan.....

Have any of you found yourselves to be victims of a Diploma Mill?

Or something like that, when all is said and done and you need a copy of your transcript, or you need to transfer to another institution--the records aren't there???

If you have, and you have/had student loans paying for these things, what--if anything--were you able to do about it?

I am curious and would like to know your experiences, thoughts, etc.......

Thanks
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

i was the one on the other thread...speaking about an AP which was applicable to some classes i took at a medium size university....after i took the classes, the university closed and i was unable to get my credits, but they sued me for the student loans i took from them for the classes.

i would not have considered this university a "mill" at all, as it had three thriving....(or what appeared to be) campus locations. but they surely went after me when i refused to pay for the classes ....even during the bk, i said fine i will pay...just give me my grades and my credits...they could not produce the records so i won the AP.

i have heard many online scams, but very few stories about actual universities...so, i'll be most interested to see whom else experienced this sort of situation.

for me, it personally left me holding not only the bill, but i had to change directions and "settle" but this time ending up going to boston u....i was pretty much certain they wouldn't be closing...LOL!! but you never know.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I racked up 55000 in loans with AIU whom I thought until recently was on the up and up. I was reading some of the key elements of degree mill schools and they have a lot of the characteristics. That's CRAPPY after devoting so much time money and efforts into getting a degree or doing something productive with your life. =(

I also read a few post on people who's loans were discharged unsuspectingly. Do you have to do anything special to get them to look at the loans? when I asked the attorney about it he immediately said oh we cannot get those discharged? Thoughts or suggestions?
      ~You should always check the source otherwise its just a Tabloid"~Tahnya

Comment

IvoryAngel - where were you reading about diploma mill characteristics?
        Jessica
        Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
        Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

This Web site provides information to students planning on pursuing their education beyond high school. It lets prospective students know more about the role of accreditation in ensuring quality in postsecondary education and alerts them to the dangers of diploma mills. This page defines diploma mills and provides information on fake accrediting agencies, and other relevant information.

There was also another check list that I cannot find but yes something along those lines.
          ~You should always check the source otherwise its just a Tabloid"~Tahnya

Comment

No, because I would never attend a school, college, or university that is not owned and operated by a city, county, or state. I would NEVER attend a privately owned institution, online "university", or anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryAngel View Post
              I racked up 55000 in loans with AIU whom I thought until recently was on the up and up.
              I got my degree from AIU. It's a useable degree, an expensive one, but useable.

Shortly after I finished, there was a class action suit against them because of their shady dealings with Sallie Mae and they paid out a lot of money in a class action suit. They've since closed the campus I attended. They are/were an accredited university though.

Comment

I've often been leery of online colleges/universities for various different reasons, and never realized folks had problems with transcripts, transfers of grades, etc.
                The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

There are a lot of diploma mills out there. A good tipoff of a diploma mill is that they accept everyone and charge a lot in tuition. What is so awful about these diploma mills is that you take out loans and there are no jobs when you graduate. Unfortunately, you cannot discharge student loans in bk.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X