What To Expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Expect

I am going to be making my last payments to my chapter 13 in April and am wondering what to expect once that last payment is made. Thanks for the insight.

Early Congrats!

You probably have about 3 to 4 months from last payment until the discharge, so you are looking at summer 2020 to receive your discharge. In my case, last payment was late November 2018, the discharge was entered early March 2019. There's a number of things you and your attorney, the trustee need to do to close out your case. For you, you complete both required courses and submit certification to your attorney/trustee. If you own a home,your mortgage must also be certified as current and not in arrears. Trustee needs to certify to the court that all plan payments were made and your creditors were paid (also known as an "audit"). The discharge process may vary between BK court districts.

Comment

Congratulations! Nothing like completing a Chapter 13!
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by switch625 View Post
        Early Congrats!

You probably have about 3 to 4 months from last payment until the discharge, so you are looking at summer 2020 to receive your discharge. In my case, last payment was late November 2018, the discharge was entered early March 2019. There's a number of things you and your attorney, the trustee need to do to close out your case. For you, you complete both required courses and submit certification to your attorney/trustee. If you own a home,your mortgage must also be certified as current and not in arrears. Trustee needs to certify to the court that all plan payments were made and your creditors were paid (also known as an "audit"). The discharge process may vary between BK court districts.
        We are one month behind in our mortgage payments. Will this need to be caught up on before we can be discharged?? Why is that??

Comment

Originally posted by bjblackout View Post

We are one month behind in our mortgage payments. Will this need to be caught up on before we can be discharged?? Why is that??
          This website post might explain why you need to be current on your mortgage payments when you complete your plan payments. Also checkout Rule 3002.1, linked in the post. Talk to your attorney to see if beign one month behind will affect your discharge and if so, how to remedy it.

Chapter 13 cases get dismissed without a discharge when plan provides for direct payment of post bankruptcy mortgage payments.

Comment

Hi..just a note...different courts do things differently. In my case my 13 was finished in July/16..my discharge happened one month later. The actual closing of the case (done behind the scenes) took a couple more months but it's a trustee behind the scenes thing that we are not involved with. Good luck as you with the finish line.
            Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
            Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X