No announcement yet.

Current Presidental Candidates Debate Their Support and Opposition to BAPCPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipo, we haven't rolled over the other 401K money from the old company yet. He's not sure how long he has to do that plus because of the new company's much higher weekly medical premiums, we stopped temporarily contributing to the new 401K account and with the taxes owed, the upcoming mortgage increase and having to pay the old 401K loan post-tax instead of pre-tax (as he was able to do at the other company) we really aren't clearing much more money even after a substantial raise upon him being hired (We did report the job change plus salary increase and severance package to the attorney who chose not to inform the trustee, saying it "was not necessary.")
    I lived in NH for 3 years and I know first hand how expensive it is there, but I have to say Colorado is now terrifically overpriced and surely is catching up to New England in terms of being one of the most unreasonable places to live.
    Good luck on new beginnings!

Comment

Thanks Barbisi, I hear you; after my son left the Navy he moved to the Denver area and has commented on the growth/real estate inflation there.

Regarding my living expenses here in New Hampshire, I effectively cheat. Back when our two businesses were crashing and burning due to the economy we were unable to keep up with our house and all of our expenses, and opted to downsize as radically as possible; we had yet to consider the bankruptcy route. In 2013 we put our house, which was two hundred thousand dollars underwater, on the market and shortly thereafter I ran across an ad in Craig's List for an apartment on a working farm which required roughly 15 hours per week of farm work as a means of partially offsetting the rent.

We ended up selling a house with over 5,000 square feet and moved into a tiny 1,100 square foot apartment on a horse farm where the monthly rent is only about 75% of the property taxes on the house, never mind the mortgage. I also sold my nice car and bought an eleven year old Honda to get me around. By the time I was forced into Chapter 13 my wife and I had virtually no monthly expenses except our minimal rent, insurances, and food; as you can imagine, that worked both to our benefit and detriment when filing for Chapter 13. LOL, on more than one occasion my attorney told me, "Run out right now and buy a new car; that will help." I resisted the temptation.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

Barbsi...free speech is your right..unless you make statements of others that aren’t accurate. Believe it or not you’re not the only one who has had a tough time and had life issues that caused problems financially. All I said is you don’t know other’s situations so it’s not fair to assume that their situation is easier than yours. We’re here to support and help each other...it’s not a contest to see who has it the worst. I honestly want things to work out for you when your plan is done in 2022.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Thank you sophieanne.
          Right now I am going through some severe reactions to fluctuating Colorado weather patterns and feel literally awful. I have no idea what the weather is currently like where you live in Washington state but from what people who have lived in the Seattle area have said there is less temperature shifts (i.e. constantly raising and falling barometric pressure) and my own chiropractor has recommended a sea level , higher humidity warmer winter climate so I can feel better, thus we are considering that area. I understand it rains often and can be dreary but I dislike intense sun and hate tropical Florida -style humidity. I want to live some where with a moderate climate (virtually snow free , warm, not blistering summers) and above all with international cultural opportunities which Colorado no longer has. And of course, it is more expensive than overpriced Colorado! But if we only rent and don't ever buy another dive, we may do fine since my husband can command a higher salary elsewhere. And if not there, some where else! I want change!!!!
          Colorado has almost ruined my life and I couldn't hate it more. Try to understand how feeling bad often can impact your attitude and outlook.
          Last edited by Barbisi; 02-24-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Barbsi...I live most days not feeling good as I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 3 years ago and had surgery to remove my thyroid. My doctor is still working on getting me on the right dose of thyroid hormone medication..trust me I do know (daily ) how feeling bad is but I try my hardest not to let it impact my attitude and outlook. I know you don't like when I say it but you have to look forward...the past is over..you're on your way to a better financial situation.
            I live a couple hours south of Seattle, we have wonderful weather...we don't have the same rain and snow that Seattle gets. We do get some but it's minimal. This winter I think we had 2 snow days and they were over as quickly as they came.
            Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I 'm sorry about your hyperthyroidism diagnosis, sophieanne!
              I spent $$$ after starting BK13 on very expensive tests for all forms of auto-immune disease and the tests were inconclusive - I had massive amounts of inflammation but no clear cause (This was 2017.) The blood work showed dangerously high levels of white blood cell count but these levels gradually lowered over time. So who knows? Maybe my thyroid is out of wack. My blood pressure has increased here but I'm avoiding medicine because I believe the high altitude is the culprit but I can't find out for sure until I can leave. (Vacations are only for the lucky rich !)
              I feel a lot better (the first day since Saturday!) but I intend to stay in. (The weather as usual is up and down : no snow today but 40MPH winds at 20 degrees. ) Highs in the 60's by the weekend then more snow next week. It goes from a high of 70 here to 10 inches of snow and a low of 15 overnight and the locals love it because "it's a change of seasons" for them and "it's great for the skiers". When I complain about these crazy weather shifts these locals either ignore me and plan their next vacation or ski trip or look at me like I'm crazy. People with chronic health conditions should get out of here!
              Not sure if you would like it here -you might feel even worse!

Comment

Hi..i wouldn't leave where I am...I love it here
                Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

sophieanne, no wonder in spite of your illness, you are so cheerful! Because you live somewhere you love , you will always be happy ,no matter what! You are truly lucky and blessed!
                  I wish all my good fortune hadn't died with my mother in 2016 when this nightmare really began . But as the old saying goes, en Francais, "C'est la vie toujours! "

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X