No announcement yet.

Well my parents found out 😬😳

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is whether or not the stock options can be exempted since they are likely contingent on future employment. Whenever an employer treats something as income and it appears on the IRS Form W-2, it becomes difficult for someone to not see it as income. Since the value appears on an income statement (payroll stub), that bring it into question. I don't know if explaining it at the 341 Meeting would have done anything, really. The question would still be whether it's treated as "regular" income from the employer. There was also a question as to your claim of exemption, which would never be solved at a 341 Meeting.

My thinking is that the (Chapter 13) Trustee is thinking that... if the RSUs are vesting annually and are being treated as income on a paycheck stub, then it is income for all purposes. That's because the definition of "current monthly income" (CMI) in the bankruptcy code includes all income regardless of source or taxability.

Also, thinking like the (Chapter 13) Trustee, I would likely believe, since the income is on the paystub, that it is not something you can exempt using an exemption. It would be like trying to exempt future income, and there's no exemption for most income. Even with an otherwise protected income source, like social security or VA income, all income counts in a Chapter 13. (Protected income -- SSA/VA -- is only excluded in the Means Test.)

Please remember that the 341 Meeting is not the time where every detail of the petition, income, taxes, exemptions, or questions are drawn out. It is really just a short meeting, lasting 5 minutes on average, to get the debtor to testify, under oath, that everything they submitted is the truth. Trustees also get to probe a little if they have a specific question or their questioning causes them to drill down on an answer. When it's time to object, it's usually done in a writing such as an Objection to Claim of Exemption or other writing to the attorney.

As flashoflight has mentioned, this is likely a best interest of creditor's test (or Chapter 7 liquidation test) issue. The difference between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 is that in the Chapter 7, the Trustee would have gone after the RSUs and waited for them to vest. In a Chapter 13, you get to keep all your assets, unless you surrender them, but you must pay the same value of the RSUs "value" over the life of the Chapter 13.

It will be interesting what your attorney does for this. There has been only one other case on BKForum related to RSUs. (And you responded to it which you should not. That thread is over 10 years old and the forum rules make notes about why you should not revive an old thread.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Forgot to add that chapter 13 doesn't handle variable income very well. Commissions, RSUs, child support income from a deadbeat dad, etc.

Comment

flashoflight we were posting at/near the same time. I didn't see your post!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

This RSU discussion is interesting; I was granted a number of RSUs during the five years of my Chapter 13, the first of which will fully vest almost exactly a year after my discharge. Wouldn't I have been in for a surprise had the dates been reversed.
          Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
            This RSU discussion is interesting; I was granted a number of RSUs during the five years of my Chapter 13, the first of which will fully vest almost exactly a year after my discharge. Wouldn't I have been in for a surprise had the dates been reversed.
            It's interesting for sure and I think that the outcome may be different based on the Trustee and perhaps the value of the restricted stock. I had some ISOs and they were never an issue as they were issued during the Chapter 13, and vested after 4 years (or something like that).

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input! We thought from the start that we would need to pay the RSUs into the plan when they vest (25% a year) as they show as income, but maybe our attorney wasn’t familiar with RSUs and how they are treated compared to regular stock. Of course we tried to tell him, but he listed them as an asset for us. I wouldn’t mind if they’re treated as a tax refund or something like that where we cash it out and pay it when it vests (assuming he’s still employed there..) I nearly crapped myself seeing the objection say $1600 a month more. 😳

justbroke sorry for commenting on an old thread. It makes sense that we shouldn’t revive old ones. Gosh, was 2010 really 10 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by imtryingtho View Post
                Thank you everyone for your input! We thought from the start that we would need to pay the RSUs into the plan when they vest (25% a year) as they show as income, but maybe our attorney wasn’t familiar with RSUs and how they are treated compared to regular stock. Of course we tried to tell him, but he listed them as an asset for us. I wouldn’t mind if they’re treated as a tax refund or something like that where we cash it out and pay it when it vests (assuming he’s still employed there..) I nearly crapped myself seeing the objection say $1600 a month more. 😳
                Your attorney may be able to work out something whereas you pay them as you would pay a bonus. Just as a one time thing annually. I'm sure there's something that could be worked into the plan so that you don't need to have your monthly payment increased. It just requires some finesse.

Originally posted by imtryingtho View Post
                justbroke sorry for commenting on an old thread. It makes sense that we shouldn’t revive old ones. Gosh, was 2010 really 10 years ago!
                No, it was fine in that it worked for you. A private message (PM) may have been easier but I was very surprised that goon received an email that was 10 years old. It usually doesn't happen but I appreciate that goon still had the same email account and responded!

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                  Your attorney may be able to work out something whereas you pay them as you would pay a bonus. Just as a one time thing annually. I'm sure there's something that could be worked into the plan so that you don't need to have your monthly payment increased. It just requires some finesse.
                  That's a good solution. Maybe treat it the same way as tax refunds forfeit to the trustee for <100% plans. Maybe overwithhold for taxes on the RSUs to soak up any unintended tax liability from the salary. Still stinks to give away $20k annually to unsecured creditors though. There would be no "best interest of the creditors" crap because the RSUs would effectively be forfeit upon vesting since they need to be sold right away.

Comment

Update: trustee accepted our explanation of income and all of our medical documentation and we just got our confirmation declaration to sign! It’s looking like we won’t have to make any changes to the payment amount. I am SO RELIEVED. That was scary for a second. So thankful for our lawyer. Our confirmation was pushed to February.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X