Question about auto loan while in 13...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about auto loan while in 13...

Weird situation. I’m about to pay off my chapter 13 in the middle of March (bonus check will put me at 100%).
    My car loan is handled outside the plan.
    Bringing my Jeep to the dealership tomorrow. Check engine light, we will see how that goes.
    If by some chance I need to buy a new car before I’m paid and discharged, how would it work since I pay outside the plan?

You should still speak with your attorney. Unless your plan explicitly states that you can incur any debt without permission, you should seek permission to incur debt. Personally I have enjoyed having no car payment for the last 5 years. Even though I keep thinking about buying a new car, I'm going to see how far I can go without a car payment.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by RU5781 View Post
      Weird situation. I’m about to pay off my chapter 13 in the middle of March (bonus check will put me at 100%).
      My car loan is handled outside the plan.
      Bringing my Jeep to the dealership tomorrow. Check engine light, we will see how that goes.
      If by some chance I need to buy a new car before I’m paid and discharged, how would it work since I pay outside the plan?
      The odds of needing to buy a new car are pretty slim; a check engine light is by no means a death sentence for a car; usually it only means a sensor died.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

Just Uber until you pay off the 13 if you need a replacement vehicle. You don't want to incur legal fees for something that will go away in a few weeks. And slow down... check engine light almost always doesn't result in a replacement vehicle.

As JB mentioned, car payments are very bad for your financial health even at 0% interest (that money could have gone to savings or retirement instead of the crooked banks). Having an extra $500+ per month is huge. Used car paid with cash is the best way to go. You're doing the same thing with the 13. Do it for the car as well.

Comment

Our attorney has a huge process to buy a car while in Chapter 13 and even if your attorney has a similar plan it would not even be approved in 6 weeks! We need to find a dealership and a car and then write out a plan and a budget and "make sure" the dealership is really going to give us a loan. Then there's some sort of motion or court thing where it gets reviewed and we would either be allowed to acquire the new debt or denied.

My husband and I have been dealing with car sharing for a while since I am too intimidated by the task, plus we still have the car loan on the bad car and once that is paid off around December we take that amount of car payment money and it goes into the Chapter 13 payment.
          I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X