Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling: Timeline of Case End

We have 2 months left on the 5-year plan. I can bounce all over the internet looking for the timeline for the end of a case, but nothing is quite what I'm looking for. I know each case is different, each trustee has a different timeline. I'm just looking for averages of what I can expect. At this point in time, we're financing two households in two states and until our case is closed, I can't sell the house and move to be with my husband and daughter. I'm just so desperate for the end! So I'm asking...

1) What state did you file in?
    2) What was your file date?
    3) What was your final payment date?
    5) How long was it until you got your discharge?
    6) How long did it take for your case to be completely closed?
    7) Did you have any obstacles that needed straightening out?
    Chapter 13 - May 2014
    Broke but not broken...

Unless the people answering are in Missouri and in your District, the answers won't give you any clue as to how long it will take. The information that you have gathered already provide you a sense of what happens (the procedure and the process), but you're not going to find the timeline.

The only issues at the end are usually related to Domestic Support Orders and Mortgages that had arrears prior to filing (and were "cured" during the plan). Make sure you have taken your 2nd course (financial management) and that you have filed it with the Court (Form B23) and with the Trustee.

It can take 30-90 days for a case to close after discharge.

The discharge will be entered based on local procedure (e.g. in my District, it requires the Chapter 13 Standing Trustee to submit a notice, to the court, that the Plan Payments have been completed).

The closing will take a long time. As I wrote, it is typically 30-90 days, but can be 90-120 days or more.

(You can sell a house while a case is open. You need to seek approval from the court... known as a Motion to Sell (Real Property) in a Chapter 13. You may want to talk to your attorney about this, and about putting it on the market now.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

We're not in a 100% payback plan and we're not in the market to buy a new home just yet (we're going to build instead), so we don't want to lose the equity in our home. With a 2.75% apy, over five years we've built up equity just by paying the mortgage even if you don't consider market growth. Our attorney advised us to wait since we're so close to the end. I guess my biggest reason for wanting to know what an "average" case looks like is because I'd like to get my house on the market before our case is closed while not allowing an actual sale to go through until the case has been officially closed. If I wait until the case is closed to go on the market, it could take however long to sell...and I've already been living apart from my husband since December. Just trying to crunch numbers...
      Chapter 13 - May 2014
      Broke but not broken...

Comment

That's what I was hinting at... timing a sale. It's too difficult to predict.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X