Wireless Service letter today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Service letter today

We filed and were granted Bankruptcy chapter 13 on June 15th.
    So far, everything has moved as smoothly as could be.

Today, we got a letter from Alltel in the mail ( a company NOT included in bankruptcy and never late on a payment either). We've had a contract with them for about 2 years now. The letter stated that if we wanted to keep our service, we had to now give them a 200.00 deposit. According to the letter, they had to set up a new account because of our bankruptcy, and for us to continue service with them, it would be 200.00 and it must be received within 20 days.

So my question is....is this normal? Also, has anyone gotten wireless service while in bankruptcy and if so, which company and what type of downpayment did you have to make?

I'd rather pay a brand new company the 200.00 fee than give it to Alltel after we've been good customers for 2 years.

Originally posted by boomerang View Post
    So my question is....is this normal? Also, has anyone gotten wireless service while in bankruptcy and if so, which company and what type of downpayment did you have to make?

I'd rather pay a brand new company the 200.00 fee than give it to Alltel after we've been good customers for 2 years.
    Call customer service and tell them this. Can't hurt any to let them know they are about to lose a customer.

I am old law, but we had Alltel when we filed and they didn't make us put down a further deposit.
    Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
    Plan approved- 7/11/05
    Date discharged--10-12-2007
    Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Originally posted by boomerang View Post
      According to the letter, they had to set up a new account because of our bankruptcy, and for us to continue service with them, it would be 200.00 and it must be received within 20 days. So my question is....is this normal?
      Normal? No, but it has happened to other filers before.

If you file bankruptcy, utilities can increase your deposit because of the drop in your credit report scores, even if you did not include them in your bankruptcy. I think what Alltel did to you is incredibly greedy, but it isn't illegal.

Our utilities and our wireless provider left our monhtly fees as-is and didn't ask for extra deposits after we filed Ch 13 either. I'm so sorry this is happening to you . If the costs wash, I'd go to another provider too.
      Last edited by lrprn; 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Interesting. How would a wireless company know you filed BK. The attorneys I spoke with told me to just keep paying my bills (rent, utilities, auto insurance, phone, etc), and make sure they are paid to-date if I file and they will never know I filed. Granted I live in a pretty consumer friendly state. Insurance companies can only use your credit report when you first apply. Geico didn't even bother. USCellular never did a soft or hard pull on my credit, Pacific Power and Light has never looked, my landlord is a not a corporation, etc). How would a telephone company know you filed? Does one have to list their providers in some states? Very strange.

Comment

Cingular (our provider) was included in the initial mailing because our contract is with them for 2 more years, and looking at the list, it appears our landlord was also mailed? Both are listed in the filed documents.

Filed 07/07, $120k unsecured debt
          Plan: $400 (includes cram down) 60 months
          Brilliant attorney, decent trustee, awesome plan

Comment

I have a year to go on my cell contract but I doubt they'll do that!
            I work for them! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by qwertysue View Post
              Cingular (our provider) was included in the initial mailing because our contract is with them for 2 more years, and looking at the list, it appears our landlord was also mailed? Both are listed in the filed documents.

Just because they're listed in your BK Schedules doesn't mean they got notified. You need to look at the Court Clerk's Mailing Label list. That's who all received Notices of your BK filing.

Our Landlord and Sprint were both listed due to contracts. Neither one received a Notice from the Clerk because we weren't Discharging any debt with either one.

Chances are,......... If you checked on True Credit, or another monitoring service,.......... You'd probably find that Cingular, or a Partner company, happened to pull your Credit.

But I'm surprised they wanted a Deposit from an existing customer. We renewed our Contract with Sprint, last November, before our Discharge in December. Not one word from Sprint about a Deposit being needed.
              Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
              Discharged - 12/2006
              Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
              Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

How do you get the Clerk's mailing list?

Comment

Checking the label list, both Cingular and my apartment management company were sent notifications.

So far Cingular hasn't done anything ::::knock on wood:::::
                  Filed 07/07, $120k unsecured debt
                  Plan: $400 (includes cram down) 60 months
                  Brilliant attorney, decent trustee, awesome plan

Comment

yes, a utility company is allowed to ask for a deposit, but you are also allowed to break your contract and include them in your bk, but you must act fast because you must pay for any service since the day of your bk. Call them ASAP and inform them of your intentions! With an electric co. its different b/c you usually do not have an option, but with a cell co. you do. They are a creditor, so your bK wiped out your contract and the deposit is to insure you stay with them. Call them up and see what your option are.
                    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Shortly after discharge we got a cell phone through Alltell. We had no problem getting the contract and no deposit was needed.
                      Filed: 10/26/2006
                      Discharged: 03/05/2007
                      Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

i have verizon wireless and have had no problems with them at all. knock on wood
                        12/19/06 Chapter 13
                        1/22/07 341 Meeting
                        3/5/07 Confirmation Hearing Continued
                        6/28/07 CONFIRMED!

Comment

I alwas go over my allowed minutes in my plan every month on my cingular/at&t and reading this topic it gave the the idea to upgrade my plan, thank God i didn't, i read the fine print before submitting the order and it says they check you credit report even though i already have an account with them for years? Well, i did not want to take the risk and pay deposit based on my bad credit
                          09/20/07 - Filed Ch 7
                          10/24/07 - 341 meeting
                          01/11/08 - Discharged :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
                          01/25/08 - CASE CLOSED - :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

We had Verizon Wireless and had no problems, we even switched to Cingular and had NO problems.
                            I think they are ripping you off.

Comment

IRPN
                              If you file bankruptcy, utilities can increase your deposit because of the drop in your credit report scores, even if you did not include them in your bankruptcy. I think what Alltel did to you is incredibly greedy, but it isn't illegal.

I have to agree w/IRPN's comment TOTAL GREED!

TREEHUGGER1
                              How would a telephone company know you filed?

It seems nowadays just about any creditor can pull your report, and depending on your credit/scores I guess it affects your costs to some degree. Like Auto Insurance, I think I heard your score affects your rates. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just my thoughts, Catchmeifyoucan
                              July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                              Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                              Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                              Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X